Jason Agnew and the Mouth return with Sunday Nights Main Event on Patreon

I want to bring this back up and for the past seven months, there’s been a new host on the flagship show, Mike McGuire based in Saskatchewan and does local sports broadcasting in the area. I gotta say he’s has done something special in the show, re-done the format and did more intriguing wrestling interviews in-person. He had a great episode last week interviewing Bret Hart and his son Blade on their new indy fed, Dungeon Wrestling. It seems like Agnew is not coming back anytime soon and he’s not as committed to covering it anymore. To me, it’s better listening with Mike McGuire these days.

1 Like

I’ll be honest, I quit my patreon when he took over. He wasn’t bad or anything (not great either), but I wasn’t going to pay money to listen to someone I don’t even know, especially when I already struggle with finding enough time to listen to John and Wai as it is.

4 Likes

Yeah, Mike seems like a good broadcaster but I listened to the show for Jason and Mouths chemistry. I have tuned out completely with no Agnew

3 Likes

It was pretty obvious he just didn’t like wrestling all that much anymore so more power to him.

1 Like

I messaged him and he got back to me. I’ll post his response as he does explain to me why he’s off, I just have to look through my inbox.

1 Like

I appreciate folks making a living producing content. I adore Boris, but I’ll pass on Mr. Agnew.

Here is what he said:

He wrote that in February, I’ve since quit being a Patron.

1 Like

I said it from the beginning, this is an outdated concept for a show. I did eventually jump on the patreon to support. Mainly to hear Meltzer, but I’ve supported the LAW since like 1999 and even though Agnew can be annoying and he needs to just admit, that he’s a bit of a dick and it isnt just a gimmick(which is why a lot of people did not follow him), I still enjoy listening to him and Dan Lovranski. I also started to like Mark Andrada.

I had to drop out on the Patreon though, for a number of factors. The main reason being Agnew leaving. Mike McGuire is ok. He tries to push his theories a little too hard, even when Meltzer shuts them down. The others are not for me though. I am not a fan or Boris & Matt or Joe Aguinaldo. And like I said, it is an outdated concept. When you have POST Wrestling talking about the news constantly and Fightful always has stuff going on, waiting for Sunday doesnt cut it anymore and I have no interest in their review shows. They arent good at all.

4 Likes

Apologies for asking something I know has been asked and shut down a bunch, but doesn’t seem to have been asked since 2019 so I’ll give it a go…

…what exactly happened with Agnew/Mouth + John/Wai? Everything seemed Ok, they all got let go and went their separate ways doing their own things, which seems fair enough, everyone’s gotta eat. To be honest, I had no idea there was any beef until it was referenced a bit on some of their shows including a roundtable I remember them doing last year or before, but just in the vein of “well that’s in the past” without really mentioning what it was or what happened. Not asking to rake up dirt or anything, just curious what the deal was, as it seemed to be kinda resolved when they talked about maybe doing more shows on the roundtable, which sadly didn’t seem to come to pass.

Sorry if it’s still sensitive, just thought seeing as it was nearly 4/5 years or so ago now, everyone’s probably moved on to where it’s OK to talk about?

Still hoping they’ll all put the rings together for a few more roundtables down the road…I really enjoyed those shows!

1 Like

They did a show together in 2021 just before Mania, so it seems they mended things.

If you scroll up in this thread I believe whats out there is detailed, but there wasnt much out there.

3 Likes

So I just found out that Jason has sold his ownership of the show to another person, effective immediately. So looks like Jason won’t be coming back on the show after all.

1 Like

Really? That sucks, no chance I renew my Patreon now. Is this where John or Wai’s music hits and we hear “The consortium is me!”.

2 Likes

I wish it was, that would’ve been cool. lol but it was a couple of local entertainment promoters who bought it. They rather just remain undisclosed right now. I know Mouth will still be around doing the AEW reviews which I’m happy for.

1 Like

Does that mean Agnew is out of the wrestling game entirely now?

Also whatever happened to Bartender Dave?

Yeah, Jay has full-time work in the news business and has Sunday Morning Trivia on Newstalk 1010 on the side as well. And he’s enjoying life with his lady friend so I don’t blame him for just walking away from wrestling for the time being.

As with Bartender Dave, he just wanted to spend more time with his children and not be so focused on wrestling.

2 Likes

Thanks man, I sort of lost track of everyone non-POST after the LAW went kaput.

I just want to send my love to the wonderful Dan “The Mouth” Lovranski who this week will be hanging up the microphone after 25 great years of wrestling talk radio. Happy Trails to you good sir, till we meet again.

4 Likes

So Jason is gone and so is Mouth…end of an era. I wonder if he does a guest spot on Post now that he’s done with SNME, that would be cool.

2 Likes

I mean even after The LAW ended in 2017, Mouth was looking into wrapping it up anyway. Hopefully we’ll see him pop up here and there soon tho.

1 Like

Hopefully…I have to think that doing a 20min guest spot is much easier then doing a weekly show so hopefully its something he’s consider. I loved the chemistry between John, Wai, Mouth, and Jason.

Regardless, the man was a true pioneer in the wrestling radio/podcast world, and I wish him the best of luck.