Jaxson Ryker discusses his 2020 tweet, WWE's reaction, co-workers calling him out

Originally published at Jaxson Ryker discusses his 2020 tweet, WWE's reaction, co-workers calling him out

Chad Lail (Jaxson Ryker) speaks about his 2020 tweet in support of Donald Trump.

Following WrestleMania 36, the group formerly known as The Forgotten Sons (Jaxson Ryker, Steve Maclin & Westin Blake) debuted on SmackDown. Their appearances on the show were halted in June of 2020 after Ryker sent out a tweet in support of then-President Donald Trump. Ryker’s tweet was sent out when protests were taking place in reaction to a police officer taking the life of George Floyd.

Ryker would not be seen on WWE programming until December of that year and he was released from the company this past November. He spoke about the tweet and the fallout from it on the ‘Wrestling for the Faith’ podcast. He does not feel there were any racial undertones or jabs thrown and said he was just expressing his appreciation for Trump.

Well, yeah, June 1st, 2020 and it says 7:52 PM. I had just moved into my new house in Mooresville, North Carolina and you know, we’ve all got our own views on who’s — anytime there’s a President or there’s a leader, that’s what makes America great, that’s why I served four years in the Marine Corps so I could, you know, tweet about my approval for a certain President. I wasn’t one of those who was trying to bash anybody else. I was simply putting out my support for a President that I thought was doing a good job for this country. Gas prices were down, unemployment was down, jobs were up, just so much going on with the economy was flourishing. You can do the studies and look at it and that was just my tweet to basically show my support, which the funny thing is-is prior to that, Lord, I mean even I was looking through some history of things. I mean I would tweet or Instagram certain things about Donald Trump but for some reason, that day and I believe you give me a right to support a President that I voted for? I do believe it does and we’ve never talked about it, first time right here people are getting a chance to hear about it. I’m excited to kind of let it out but I can see if there is something wrong with that tweet but in my eyes, I said nothing wrong and so, that’s where I stand on it man…

Shortly after sending the tweet, Ryker received an abundance of notifications ranging from phone calls to text messages. He said his home address was leaked and there were threats made towards his family.

He felt there was an opportunity there for those who worked with him to speak to him personally about his tweet instead of publicly addressing him. Ryker added that everything concerning The Forgotten Sons was put on hold and when it came to his family, he thought about the possibility of someone or people showing up to his home so he stayed up most nights with his weapons loaded.

On to the tweet, here we are, tweet this. I may have been watching — I feel like I was watching SmackDown or something, I don’t remember. Not SmackDown, I don’t know. Anyway, I’m sitting on my couch and bro, within a matter of, I’m gonna fare to say 15 minutes, my phone starts to just blow up. I start to get random phone calls from random numbers and I’m like, ‘What’s going on?’ And my wife goes, ‘What’s going on with your phone?’ I mean literally, it was like the end of the world had happened. Within a matter of an hour or so, I’m getting death threats, I’m getting cell phone calls. If I can number the amount of voicemails that came over my phone from that time, it happened for at least a good week. Well over 100 voicemails, people threatening my family, my address within a matter of an hour or so was tweeted out. I had a new address. People were saying they were gonna come burn down my house, people said they were gonna come murder my family. Dude, it was the most extreme thing I’d ever been through to the point of the old Chad back in my 20s wanted to come out and not only that, we’ll touch on this too; there was an opportunity for people — I’m not gonna ask for anybody to defend me but what I would say was folks that I worked with that I thought were my friends or thought were my companions were quick to turncoat. There were some tweets the tweet, even she was like, ‘There was nothing wrong with that tweet. Like what is going on?’

Here I am, WWE SmackDown, we , you know, whatever line at the end, and dude, instantly, there was like a stop right on the storyline that we were in with The New Day. There was a complete halt on everything from basically our career there, I mean, for the foreseeable future so, yeah man. It was one of those things where — and I’ll talk about it. In my 20s, I would’ve been ready to — and I was mad dude. I’m a gun owner, so I, you know, I had ‘em loaded and ready. Didn’t sleep much that night, didn’t sleep much for a few days because I was like, ‘Dude, is somebody gonna really come to my house? Somebody gonna come knock on my door?’ I got a cousin that lives up the street that, you know, heard about it instantly. He would walk by my house throughout the night, little did I know just to keep an eye on things. Thank God nobody had come to my house or anything. Nothing stupid coming in my mailbox but it just blew me away dude. Here’s a guy who I could see if I had got on social media and dropped the n-bomb or started all this racial stuff but dude, it was basically a tweet saying — and I tweeted it before, my support for the President and it just got — it was like one of those times when the enemy, the devil used that bro. He used that to try to sidetrack me, to try to knock me off course.

The Black Lives Matter movement was started almost a decade ago in reaction to the death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. George Zimmerman, who fired his weapon at Martin and killed him, was acquitted of his charges which led to the formation of the movement. The B.L.M. was established to bring awareness to the treatment of Black people in America and highlights the racism, discrimination and inequality that African-Americans face in the country.

Ryker is of the belief that the Black Lives Matter movement dismantles families, among other personal thoughts and beliefs and here are his full comments:

So let me touch on that, let me touch it real quick was the Black Lives Matter garbage. Now you and I can go down a list of things if we wanna talk for two hours about what that organization stands for. They stand for dismantling fathers, yes. Dismantling families.

It’s all anti-Biblical things where we look at God made man, God made woman to unite together to man being head of the house and you have spoken about this. That doesn’t mean we’re forceful, mean presence in the family, we’re living Christ. We love our bride like Christ loves the Church basically and that’s — if you read all of that, it’s all anti-Biblical stuff don’t believe I said anything wrong. The B.L.M. garbage, to me, what they stand for, basically a terrorist group, that’s garbage to me.

Ryker clarified that he is not apologizing for what he tweeted and if WWE asked him to, he would have politely said no. He mentioned that if he was in his 20s, he would have physically went after the co-workers who called him out. There were family members and friends of his who suggested that he take the tweet down or issue an apology.

One thing I’ll sit and say is I had family — and not out of a mean way or anything like that — had family and friends come up and go, ‘You know, maybe you should just take that tweet down and maybe you should issue an apology or something like that.’ You know, I had family members and I get it, they were worried about my family, worried about my job and all this stuff and dude, I stood my ground and I want people to know that this podcast is by no means an apology. It’s getting it out there, it’s letting people know where I stand and in my 20s dude, we mentioned this at the beginning of the show, I would’ve been fighting. I mean legit hunting people down, all these co-workers of mine, fist fights. But I chose to, bro — and I chose to take that time in June of 2020 and I sat in my office many times in tears, many times in anger and I just said, ‘God, what are you trying to teach me here?’ Like, God didn’t make this happen by any means, he didn’t bring this on me, the enemy did. The enemy tried to derail me because at that time, I was seeking God a little more and I just felt the Lord tell me, ‘Don’t go back to your 20s. I want you to seek me and I’m gonna bring –’ it’s like Romans 8:28 bro, ‘All things work together for the good of those’ so I did. I just seeked that from the Lord, I started diving into little youth stuff, diving into scripture and books and bro, over the past year-and-a-half, it’s been the most peaceful thing to take this that the enemy wanted to use for bad, the Lord is gonna help use it for good, you know what I mean?

Once Ryker’s tweet made the rounds, he was in contact with WWE’s then-Head of Talent Relations and was told to lay low and not tweet or reply to anyone or anything. Ryker questioned how he was not able to voice his beliefs but there were talents who could sport ‘Black Lives Matter’ logos on their gear and can publicly be in support of pro-abortion views.

They . So that was the reaction from the office.

He is 39 years of age and has been a part of the wrestling business for over a decade. Ryker contemplated retirement but said his wife encouraged him to go have fun.

He added that he and his podcast co-host have some opportunities to wrestle and speak at Churches. Ryker becomes a free agent on February 16th.

No and I have some opportunities together to wrestle and speak at Churches and the Lord’s gonna use it bro so I’m excited about what’s going on but, I’m thankful we got a chance to air this out today. I can speak on it and let people know my views on it.

Ryker, now going by ‘Gunner’, was last in action prior to Monday Night Raw in November where he lost to Cedric Alexander in singles competition.

If the quotes in this article are used, please credit Wrestling for the Faith with an H/T to POST Wrestling for the transcriptions.

Wow, so basically, he is saying: “Not sorry, if I were younger I would’ve seek you out and beat you up. Also BLM is garbage”
A real upstanding citizen this POS

2 Likes

Wasn’t the issue that he went on the “All Live Matter” tangent? I don’t remember anybody caring or being upset necessarily about him being a Trump guy or “supporting his president” or whatever he’s going on about. Or am I misremembering this?

Beyond that, this is an impressive display of self-victimization and rationalization to convince himself he was right. Close friends call him out? They are just lucky he isn’t in his 20’s! Trusted family members suggest he should delete the tweet and apologize? No, it’s the children who are wrong.

What a goofy idiot.

I’m assuming the comment was in reference to this:
https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2020/06/02/wwe-jaxson-ryker-forgotten-sons-donald-trump-tweet

And to be clear, I’m just answering your question. I am not in any way, shape, or form defending him.

Blaming coworkers for the direct consequences of flaunting his own ignorance is some cowardly shit. Saying he would’ve kicked their asses if he was younger AFTER he’s been fired, consigned to irrelevance, and will likely never have to interact with most of them ever again is some next level cowardly shit. I mean, you want to hope that everyone has the capacity to grow and learn from their mistakes, but the past two years have evidently either made him a worse person, or someone more comfortable with being openly terrible. If nothing else, him doubling down just makes it less likely that I’ll be forced to endure his boring and dry style on an NWA show a year from now.

(Also: “As a white guy who watched Twelve Years A Slave, I understand what real racism is”? YEESH.)

1 Like

Amazing that Andrew had the fortitude to listen to this and transcribe it. I saw it gaining a lot of traction online today (at least with the amount of quote tweets), so I hope it succeeds in this dumbass never getting booked.

1 Like

Thanks for this.

I hate when people hide under the guise of God and religion to voice bigotry and hate. Here is a 39-year-old man saying that if he was younger he would’ve walked around and punched out his various workmates because they expressed some degree of concerned about his comments, including his own Tag Team partner.

So instead of talking to them and trying to determine their issues and learn from this and see why maybe his comments were hurtful, he’s going to double down and punch them in the face.

Whether or not you believe in God or not, or whatever God you believe in, I would have to think universally no God would approve of that.

4 Likes

Why are we resurfacing this guy and this story? It’s not productive. Unless to keep re-litigating something most people here seem to have agreed on over a year + ago. It just keeps him relevant and his comments part of public discourse (which is weird since he seems like a POS who lacks some understanding and I again don’t know why we’d promote that). Who is clamoring for the Jack Ryder discussion? And why promote him in any way?

Rhetorical questions I guess

2 Likes

Did he seriously say this? Wow! Guy is a complete idiot.

1 Like

What an idiot. Bible belt Americans always amaze me.

3 Likes

Unimpressive, to unintelligent, to unemployable. This guy keeps redefining rock bottom.

1 Like

Without getting into what he tweeted, I think getting death threats and threats to kill him at his house is going too far also. I find it interesting that company response was only to lay low, was there offer for any protection? Again I am not saying what was said was right or not. I think any phone numbers leaving death threats should be tracked by authorities. Response is over the top. Write to WWE to fire him or demand apology. But phone to send death threats or leak his personal address, not cool.

1 Like

Thanks for this..

It’s not WWE’s responsibility (or any promotion) to protect their wrestlers when they are at home because they said something stupid on Twitter on their own (opposed to something done in character) he should handle that himself. If we’re talking Sgt Slaughter in the 90’s, sure. This is not that.

1 Like

I’m not sure if you’re being serious or not but there’s a big difference between someone getting death threats because of there gimmick, as someone mentioned with Sergeant slaughter below, and getting death threats because of something stupid they said.

I’m not condoning the death threats and he’s welcome to reach out to the police for protection. However this has nothing to do with the company and their well within their rights to fire someone who said something stupid as opposed to arrange for protection for them.

2 Likes

Saying something stupid does not give people the right to leak his address or call with death threats. Being OK with that response to a person and their family is just plain wrong.

1 Like

I will retract my comment that company has to protect him. That is not their responsibility.

2 Likes

I’m not defending the death threats, of course that is not ok despite his comments being idiotic.

My point is that it wasn’t the companies responsibility to provide him with protection when he’s at home.

2 Likes

Funny how it is AEWs responsibility according to some to control or do more for the lives of their independent contractors (I.e Shida)

Companies responsibilities end at work. They aren’t your parents. Lol some of the takes on both these stories are amusing.

2 Likes

I honestly have no idea who this is or what this guy even looks like.

1 Like