Jerry Lawler on Stone Cole Steve Austin’s podcast

Jerry Lawler I’d say was one of the first super fans to enter the business. I hope he isn’t judging the kids of today who get in for the same reason (I didn’t listen to the podcast and have no idea if that’s how he feels).

1 Like

Did anyone listen to the podcast? He said he had not been watching cause he wasn’t involved. He also understands that today’s wrestling is different then what it use to be. He thinks they should slow down but he never said today’s wrestling was bad. Either that or I just heard something different.

4 Likes

Well he implies he can do the job without and leg work and doesn’t care to do any. Basically said rest of young announcers were incompetent so they brought him back.

Implies is basically up for assumption.

Yes, actually many do.

Professionals bring their work home. I have no issue with him not watching when not employed, I have an issue when he doesn’t know the product he is commenting on.

2 Likes

Well that’s WWE’s fault for not HELPING HIM OUT amd guiding him through the new people and knowing who they are. I should put the blame on the COMPANY.

1 Like

People are making too much out of this. Actually wanting to be offended by him. He’s not up to date and he’s not into current day wrestling, that doesn’t make him an asshole. At least he’s honest about it unlike JR.

Oh, there’s other reasons he might be an asshole.

I have a friend who’s worked with him multiple times over the years.

So many other reasons he is lol

I’ve seen J.R.'s name thrown in here a few times as well. And while I agree he does a lot of dumb shit too, I feel it’s fair to defend him here.

Does J.R. fuck up a lot of things? Sure. But at least when he’s messing up guys’ names I can confidently say he’s at least TRYING to do his job professionally. The fact that he’s saying their names at all means he’s done the bare minimum of googling them to know who they are before announcing their match on national TV. King admits he didn’t even bother to do this before the NXT Survivor Series stuff.

And I’ve heard J.R. on the record numerous times discussing the criticism of his announcing over the last few years, and one thing he’s been pretty steadfast about is the fact that, while he might not be perfect, he gives a genuine effort to research people and give different styles a fair shake. And I think this shines through in his commentary as (in my opinion) he does a decent job getting people’s in-ring skill over, even if he’s unfamiliar with their background. Certainly he does more for guys on the roster than calling them Justin Bieber lookalikes and burying his fellow commentators.

And this isn’t about being “offended.” It’s more a show of King’s shitty work ethic and lack of interest in properly promoting the industry he claims to be so passionate about. He just seems to be in a supremely privileged position as one of Vince’s puppies who, despite being utter dog shit, is immune to criticism or comeuppance within the company.

3 Likes

My issue with JR is that he very often goes into how people aren’t following rules in matches and he buries the match style. Something he shouldn’t do as the commentator. The names wrong thing is something else as he gets them wrong for people he talks about every week, he also often has very little to say about the competitors that are not huge stars. This is either his fault for lack of research or AEWs for lack of providing him with material. He is better than the King, but I also think he should hang things up as he is not likely the best option anymore as things have passed him by.

That’s not what he said…but ok.

Assumptions.

They’re called marks for a reason.

I don’t have a problem with King or JR - both do their job fine.

I like how JR buries things that make no sense or that he doesn’t like. It’s exactly what a real sportscaster would do. It’s not like WWE/NXT where everyone sounds like a robot and praises everything. JR also knows how to turn it up during serious segments. He’s supposed to be call the action so the casual fan can follow along.

King is there for comic relief and again I think he’s there for the average fan. The jokes are dumb but they are simple to understand. Not every commentator has to be an expert - he’s certainly an upgrade over Graves or Dio Madden.

1 Like

Lawler is there for the puppy loving low education trump voting WWE fan over 50. Of which there are a lot. It makes sense why he is there. I just wish he tried a bit harder

1 Like

Jim Ross was spending half the show tonight explaining the ten count to counter the tag match conundrum…Then the 8 man tag match happened.

Let your commentary describe what they seen.

Help a brother out.

Well, if you speak about Jim Cornette, you are spot on (unfortunately)…

1 Like

Cornette actually reviews both AEW & NXT. And it’s hilarious.

For at least 5 years I’d only consider myself a part time watcher of Raw and Smackdown. But I will never watch Raw while Lawler is on it, and while WWE thinks his bullshit is appropriate in 2020.

It’s mind blowing to me having heard what he said that he still has a job. I watched Survivor Series and he was horrendous. Watching NXT isn’t him being a mark or a smark - it’s called doing your job.