Jim Cornette -- NWA Powerrr

It’ll happen again, he might well fit nwa in a lot of ways but you can go offending people like this. They would be best cutting ties with him before he does it again. Not sure who you would replace him with but they should really be looking into it.

Edit: oh he resigned, impeccable timing on my part.

In the 80’s there was a major drought in Ethiopia. At that time there where a lot of starvation jokes about Ethiopia. I would guess that is where Jim was going with what he said. I think that might be where Jim was going with his comment, but I am not him so dont know. Not trying to defend Jim just saying where I think he was saying.

1 Like

The issue is two fold
1.) That is no longer the case. I remember the Ethiopian starving stuff from my childhood but you don’t see it anymore so it is a dated reference.
2.) The bucket of Chicken part. Not only is the reference dated he is playing into an African American Stereotype with the fried chicken being run through a country of starving Africans.

2 Likes

Oh I agree with your first point. But jim is stuck in the 80’s so all his references are from then.

And who doesn’t like Fried Chicken. And Jimmy is from the home of Fried Chicken.

Good riddance. Despite his vast knowledge of the industry - I’ve never been a fan of Cornette in or out of the ring. I’ve always found his character and rants really grating - but could always appreciate that he’s a good manager and knows the business. That said, as the industry has modernized he’s shown that he is more of a burden than any kind of benefit.

I’d be more inclined to give him a chance and the benefit of the doubt but he’s proven time and again how he’s just not cut out for modern wrestling - even in the nostalgia bubble that is NWA Powerrr.

When the best case scenario is that you’ve made a joke about a famine that killed over a million people, and not also a racist joke, it’s time to just take the loss.

7 Likes

It has nothing to do with liking Fried chicken and everything to do with that being a Stereotype of African Americans. It makes the whole thing tone deaf and racist. I mean he could have chose almost any other food. To think the chicken thing isn’t intentionally playing into a stereotype seems a bit much.

I’ll be so glad when Trump is out office and we can get some Democrats in the White House and Congress. Then they can rewrite the constitution so these Boomers making these insensitive remarks can be jailed.

Saying you like Obama to tell people you’re not a racist is literally the first sign something bad was going to happen in Get Out

8 Likes

Err… I’ve been listening to Cornette’s podcast for years and following him on twitter for years too. He is absolutely, 1000% anti Trump and am pretty sure as far away from racist as a person can be - he’s a huge Obama fan was supporting Bernie Sanders all the way too.

Problem is, sometimes Jim’ mouth is faster than anything his brain can process, as happened in this situation.

In many ways I’m one of those people who gets a little annoyed with the overly political correctness in our society at times, but how do you not know that this is a stupid, ignorant thing to say? Fried chicken/Ethiopia? That’s not even going back to the 80s that’s more the 50s. I don’t know how you hear that as a black person and not say what the fuck? Really poor form on his part and he should really know better. I’ve always enjoyed The guy as I’m sure many of us have, but it seems like over the last few years he’s either lost his mind or is just trying to troll people.

2 Likes

I cannot believe the defense of Cornette is that he is anti-Trump and pro-Obama. That totally makes it okay to make insensitive, race/stereotype fueled remarks.

I withdraw from this conversation. No wrestling promotion should give him the platform they do because whether it is on their airtime or on his own, he constantly does this shit and it’s just a bad look for anyone associated.

3 Likes

I am not excusing him. I am pointing out I am familiar with his views.

On a different note - I stopped listening to his podcast (unless I see some interesting guest or topic there) and un-followed him on twitter earlier this year, cause he was exhausting me with his hate on some topics.

Yes. His podcast is such a chore. Even on issues where I mostly agree with him, the guy can’t handle that people who he disagrees with are allowed to live, and he can’t differentiate versus actual “bad people” in the world and independent wrestlers who do spots he doesn’t like. You can claim that it’s just his character, but if that’s true, it’s still not a character that I want to listen to.

1 Like

Being politically liberal doesn’t make you not racist. If you put no thought into your words and then say you are liberal then you basically validate casual racism. You don’t need to want to take people’s rights away to be a racist.

2 Likes

I’m not sure why anyone would defend or even try to explain this.

The joke wasn’t funny or relevant and without a doubt racist.

You don’t deserve a job if you make a chicken/black person joke at work in 2019.

1 Like

Think I’d like to hear some clarification from the Nwa/David Lagana (who I believe edits these shows) as to what happened here.
The show was taped over a month ago & I’d think edited/put together more recently.

They’ve apologised & said they will aim to make sure it doesn’t happen again but I wonder was the line missed during filming then editing or was it not found offensive by the nwa & only removed once complaints were made.

1 Like

Cornette in the moment while doing commentary messed up and made a bad joke.

He’s used the same analogy verbatim before and it was fine.

He’s like Don Cherry - a bit of a relic and clearly out of touch at times but he’s not a racist or bigot of you follow him. He’s a huge Democrat supporter.

Contrast - You have Jerry Lawler who openly supports Trump and said the whole Hogan situation was blown Of the water etc - like these are his real views.

Jerry Lawler the person.

Vs Jim Cornette the commentator. A character.

If we don’t hold Lawler the person accountable for what he says then why are we more outraged with JC acting in bad taste while in character?

Why does Lawler being a worse racist make it no big deal that Jim is a racist? He did it 26 years ago and it was ok. Isn’t even really true, we just lacked the same platform for people to say so. Even in spite of that views on what is acceptable evolve over time. Normalizing racism is racist. Racism is just hatred and fear.

7 Likes

its Not okay at all. I’m sorry if not seems like I’m saying it is.

I’m sure JC will explain on Friday -
My feeling is he was doing a joke in character and it went too far