Johnny Gargano challenging Damian Priest for North American Title at NXT TakeOver on 10/4

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/09/23/johnny-gargano-challenging-damian-priest-for-north-american-title-at-nxt-takeover-on-10-4/

The NXT brand’s next TakeOver event is scheduled for October 4th and the first match announced for the show is a North American Title match that’ll feature the champion Damian Priest defending his title against Johnny Gargano. Priest and Gargano competed in the Ladder match at TakeOver: XXX in August for the then-vacant North American Championship.

As announced by @RealKingRegal, @ArcherOfInfamy will defend the #NXTNATitle against @JohnnyGargano at #NXTTakeOver on Sunday, Oct. 4! https://t.co/KvRpQS9hXM

— WWE NXT (@WWENXT) September 23, 2020

Gargano also competed in the four-way Iron Man match on NXT TV to determine a new NXT Champion. Gargano is a former North American Champion and was the third holder of the title while Priest is the seventh holder of the championship.

Tonight’s edition of NXT will also feature a women’s Battle Royal and a men’s Eliminator Gauntlet to determine challengers to the NXT Women’s Title and NXT Championship at next month’s TakeOver.

Hopefully this leads to Gargano being somewhat interesting again but I can’t see that happening as he’s not very good as a heel. Should be a great match and another win for Damian Priest. One thing I wish they’d do more of is dive into Priest’s character a lot more though. He has the potential to be a star rather than just another good in ring wrestler that gets plaudits for being good in the ring.

Johnny Gargano’s new gimmick seems to be “challenger for the North American Title”. He’s falling into the Dolph Ziggler role of working with the guys that creative is actually interested in moving up the card.

I would think they’d do a good job to position Gargano as a strong challenger tonight, because we’ve most recently seen him get spaghetti poured on his head and complain about his broken TV.