Johnny Gargano recalls conversation with John Cena after WarGames 2021, Cena thanking him for his time in NXT

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2023/03/24/johnny-gargano-recalls-conversation-with-john-cena-after-wargames-2021-cena-thanking-him-for-his-time-in-nxt/

The support from John Cena meant a lot to Gargano. 

In one week, Johnny Gargano will be competing for WWE’s NXT brand for the first time since December 2021. He’ll be taking on Grayson Waller at Stand & Deliver and if Waller agrees to Gargano’s terms, it’ll be an Unsanctioned match. 

As of this writing, Gargano’s most recent time competing in NXT was at WarGames 2021 before he wrapped up with the company. After his time with WWE came to an end, John Cena posted a photo of Gargano onto his Instagram page. 

While speaking to Catch Club, Gargano stated that he sent Cena a text after he saw the photo. Cena then sent Gargano a lengthy message and thanked him for his time in NXT. 

My (NXT) WarGames match that I spoke on earlier, he (John Cena) posted a picture of me on his Instagram after the WarGames match of just me. I know John posts random pictures on his Instagram, but it was just me. So I had his number, I sent him a text. I said, ‘Hey man, thank you for that.’ He sent me a long text message about thanking me for my time in NXT, everything I contributed to it and that I’ve (given) to the industry, stuff in the future. He’s the man. I cannot say enough great things about John Cena. Like I said, he’s the prototype of what a WWE superstar should be in and out of the ring.

This coming Tuesday on NXT, Waller is going to sign the contract to make him and Gargano’s Unsanctioned match official. Waller only agreed to sign if Gargano is not in the venue. 

If the quote in this article is used, please credit Catch Club with an H/T to POST Wrestling for the transcription.