Keiji Muto tore muscle in his thigh during his last match as 'The Great Muta'

Originally published at Keiji Muto tore muscle in his thigh during his last match as 'The Great Muta'

Keiji Muto is pushing through the pain. 

This month, Keiji Muto will wrap up his retirement tour as his final match is scheduled to take place on February 21st at the Tokyo Dome against NJPW’s Tetsuya Naito

Muto had his final match as ‘The Great Muta’ persona in January and he teamed with Sting and AEW TNT Champion Darby Allin to defeat AKIRA, Hakushi and Naomichi Marufuji. 

Muto was a presenter at the K-1 MMA Awards on February 1st and shared (via Tokyo Sports) that he tore a muscle in his thigh during the final Great Muta match. 

I’m going to have a good match (with Tetsuya Naito), but I had a match 10 days ago and tore a muscle in my thigh. I’m in a pinch, but I’ll do my best.

Along with that, Muta is dealing with hamstring pain. He added that going into the match, he was dealing with back issues and his thigh was sore prior to as well. Muto said knee pain and things alike are chronic and he’s used to it but the muscle pain bothers him. 

Actually, I was in bad shape before I went in that day (final match as The Great Muta). I had back pain. I don’t know what triggered it, but I was out of shape.

Knee pain and such is chronic pain and I’m used to it, but muscles hurt like hell. I think I put extra strain on my knee and hip joints by protecting them…

I feel like I’ve been given a test by the wrestling Gods. I don’t know what to do. I train only my upper body, but it’s really hard to do that too. It’s stressing me out.

Below is the complete lineup for Keiji Muto’s final match event on 2/21: 

• Kento Miyahara, Suwama & Yuma Aoyagi vs. Kongo (Kenoh, Katsuhiko Nakajima & Manabu Soya)
  • Gedo & Taiji Ishimori vs. NOSAWA Rongai & MAZADA
  • Keiji Muto vs. Tetsuya Naito
  • Kazuchika Okada vs. Kaito Kiyomiya 
  • Hiromu Takahashi vs. AMAKUSA
  • Shun Skywalker, KAI & Diamante vs. Naomichi Marufuji, Hijo del Dr. Wagner Jr. & Ninja Mack
  • Shunma Katsumata, MAO, Toui Kojima & Yuki Ueno vs. Tetsuya Endo, Hideki Okatani, Yuya Koroku & Takeshi Masada
  • Eita, Daga, Yoshinari Ogawa, HAYATA & Chris Ridgeway vs. Atsushi Kotoge, YO-HEY, Seiki Yoshioka, Alejandro & Junta Miyawaki
  • Takashi Sugiura, Satoshi Kojima & Timothy Thatcher vs. Good Looking Guys (Jake Lee, Jack Morris & Anthony Greene)
  • Miyu Yamashita, Yuka Sakazaki, Rika Tatsumi, Shoko Nakajima vs. Mizuki, Maki Itoh, Miu Watanabe & Yuki Arai
  • Masa Kitamiya & Daiki Inaba vs. Yoshiki Inamura & Yasutaka Yano