Keith Lee defending NXT Championship against Karrion Kross at TakeOver: XXX

Originally published at Keith Lee defending NXT Championship against Karrion Kross at TakeOver: XXX - POST Wrestling | WWE AEW NXT NJPW Podcasts, News, Reviews

To open NXT, Karrion Kross defeated Danny Burch in singles action after Kross choked out Burch last week. Following the match, Keith Lee hit the ring with a contract in-hand for an NXT Championship match at TakeOver: XXX between himself and Kross. Keith Lee already signed the contract and all he needed was for Kross to sign it.

When Scarlett took the signed contract back to Keith Lee, Lee attempted to check the signature and a fireball emerged from the contract which “blinded” the NXT Champion. Nonetheless, the match is official for August 22nd as Keith Lee will defend his NXT Championship against Karrion Kross.

.@RealKeithLee is ready to do this "the hard way."

All the #NXTChampion needs is for @WWEKarrionKross to sign on the dotted line to make it OFFICIAL! #WWENXT @Lady_Scarlett13 pic.twitter.com/DzobZcH7ND

— WWE NXT (@WWENXT) August 13, 2020

WHAT JUST HAPPENED?! #WWENXT @RealKeithLee @WWEKarrionKross @Lady_Scarlett13 pic.twitter.com/77LXRQT2KM

— WWE (@WWE) August 13, 2020

Here’s the updated lineup for NXT TakeOver: XXX:

NXT Championship
Keith Lee (c) vs. Karrion Kross

NXT North American Championship – Ladder Match
Bronson Reed vs. Damian Priest vs. TBD vs. TBD vs. TBD

NXT Women’s Championship
Io Shirai (c) vs. Dakota Kai

Pat McAfee vs. Adam Cole

That NXT Championship match sounds interesting. I am curious to see how both guys are booked to look like during the match. The company seems to be behind both guys.

My only hope is that they’re taking the belt off Lee to call him up to the main roster. Other than that, the only options I can imagine are:

• They’re giving up on Keith Lee as champ (or more accurately, “never actually trying”)
  • Kross is going to take a loss way too soon
  • A Takeover title match is going to have a fuck finish

It’s the Fiend-Rollins at Hell in a Cell conversation all over again.

It will totally be option three. Some sort of no contest finish I’m guessing

True. I shouldn’t have used the term “fuck finish” because of the assumed negative connotation. I suppose a no contest could be good. I was thinking something shitty like a DQ.

2 Likes

I think it’ll probably be bad, some sort of “spooky” way to end the match which will make everyone question why they booked it in the first place

3 Likes

Keith Lee defending NXT Championship against Karrion Kross at TakeOver: XXX

Prediction: worst takeover ever.

Keith Lee taking a loss is totally fine and is what should obviously happen. Not just because I’m not a Keith Lee guy but him losing and then chasing won’t hurt him, he’s better in that role. As you said, he could also just be in line for a call up to the big leagues (where the shows aren’t as good). Kross losing would be a terrible decision.

1 Like