Kenny Omega in AEW - Thoughts?

I just used Christian as an example as he and Edge were the first two guys that came to my mind as wrestlers having their careers ended in their 30’s.

I’m not saying that Christian and Omega are the same, this can happen to a wrestler at any point in their careers, just look at Paige as an example of that. Nevertheless, this is why I hesitate to even give examples, as it tends to shift the conversation.

Bottom line, Kenny Omega is not a young bucaroo anymore (ya I know I did there). Even if you have never taken a bump in your life, every year you age you become more and more susceptible to injury and that typically starts in your 30’s, plus when you do get injured, recovery time is longer.

Kenny Omega may very well never sustain an injury for the rest of his career, but right now like said before, he is in the conversation of being one of the best in ring performers in the world. I think considering all the factors I brought up, it makes sense to have him at the top of the card when you are trying to break through to the mainstream.

Now, if the reason is the pandemic, I get it. But once things go back to normal, I think they need to give him a better spot and quit wasting him in a tag team. Wasting top talent in the undercard is WWE’s thing, I was hoping for better from AEW.

The thing is 37 is not even that old for wrestling. Add on top of that is the fact that Omega hasn’t killed himself on a WWE schedule.

He has a lot of time left. Ziggler is 40, Lashley is 44, Owens is 36, Orton is 40, Stroman is 36, Morrison/Nakamura/Miz - 40, etc.

All expected to be major parts of WWE for the next few years with far more bumps on their bump cards.

I think that AEW is giving Moxley some time to shine until Omega gets a strong singles push. The casual fan already knew Moxley so maybe that is why him and Jericho were the first two champions.

I think that they do have have a long term plan unlike WWE who just seem to decide things on a weekly or daily basis. We should at least give AEW some time to prove to us that there is a plan. Jericho recently said that New Japan and AEW always have long term plans. He said that Gedo told him that Evil would soon be the IWGP champion after wrestling him.

1 Like

I hope so, that very well could be true. Also, like I said earlier, I’m sure the pandemic is playing a factor.
Seeing him wasted in that tag team while Moxley vs Cage, Moxley vs Lee are main events is just frustrating. I dont want AEW to go the WWE route by putting on main events that nobody cares about outside of a very select few, people are screaming to see Omega showcased.

I get this is a very specific example, and I highly doubt this happens to Omega/AEW, but imagine if WWE put Austin in the mid card in from '97-'99, they had no idea he only had a few years left. Guy changed the landscape. Now I dont think Omega is capable of having Austin like impact (nobody in 2002 does), but I do think he’s the closest thing to a game changer they have.

Austin is also a good example of going with someone when the fans are hungry to see him in the main event. That is something that the WWE was once good at doing. They used to actually listen to fan reactions because they had competition.

AEW also runs the risk of waiting too long to push Omega as a singles wrestler. The fans might lose patience. In wrestling there are many different ways of doing the right thing. If Omega was champion then Moxley fans would wonder why Moxley did not get a chance to be the top guy for a while.

1 Like

I’m willing to give Kenny Omega the benefit of the doubt when it comes to match quality, and long term storytelling. Let’s not forget the entire Golden Lovers storyline took years to tell. Across 2 different companies. Intertwined with the Bullet Club, and the chase for the IWGP belt. That is an example of long term booking!

2 Likes

I was just thinking about that. I was about to bring that up. At least someone remembers that.

I was very emotionally invested in that whole story.

1 Like

The person I feel for the most with the lack of Omega singles matches is Murphy - hard to steal his moves with such little material this year

Thankfully Murphy never stole the ridiculous facial expressions or endless finger pointing… Murphy also executes all the moves better than Omega and has better matches on a more consistent basis. Omega is just complete meh right now. :upside_down_face:

That Okada is one hell of a wrestler.

1 Like

Sorry but Omegas Ironman match with Pac and the tag match with the young bucks just from this year alone is better than anything Murphy has done in his entire career, but ok

3 Likes

Why can’t both wrestlers be considered really good, and not just have some pointless argument about “stealing moves.”

4 Likes

Not to mention, almost every move in wrestling is “stolen” from someone.

1 Like

Everyone stole moves from “Whipper” Billy Watson.