Kenny Omega interested in singles match with Shingo Takagi, comments on future IWGP US Title defenses

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2023/01/05/kenny-omega-interested-in-singles-match-with-shingo-takagi-comments-on-future-iwgp-us-title-defenses/

There are a list of names Omega has his eyes on. 

For the first time since 2019, Kenny Omega was in action for New Japan Pro-Wrestling at Wrestle Kingdom 17. He defeated Will Ospreay to become IWGP U.S. Heavyweight Champion and the following night at New Year Dash, Omega tagged with longtime rival and newly crowned IWGP World Heavyweight Champion, Kazuchika Okada. 

Tokyo Sports was able to catch up with Omega afterwards. He said he wants to defend the belt in both the U.S. and Japan. 

I would like to do it either in New Japan or AEW. When I was the U.S. Champion (the first time), many of my defenses were in Japan. So I would like to do it not only in the U.S. but also in Japan.

One name that stands out to Omega is KOPW Champion Shingo Takagi. He is interested in a singles match with Takagi. Omega added that he’d be open to challenging for the IWGP World Heavyweight Title as well. 

I want to challenge for the IWGP World Championship, but I also want to fight Shingo Takagi someday. The match between myself and Keisuke Ishii versus Takagi & YAMATO at Dragongate ‘DDG COMES BACK’ (June 5, 2012) before I first joined New Japan was a very interesting match. Since then, I always thought I could have a good singles match with him… I didn’t have a chance when I was in New Japan, but now Takagi is also at the top. I think it’s the best timing.

Other names that Omega listed were El Desperado and Junior Heavyweight Champion Hiromu Takahashi. To get a look at POST Wrestling’s coverage of New Year Dash, click here.