Kenny Omega would like to finish his story with Kota Ibushi

Originally published at Kenny Omega would like to finish his story with Kota Ibushi

Omega doubts that people have seen the last of him and Kota Ibushi in the ring together.

It has been two years since Kenny Omega departed New Japan Pro-Wrestling to focus in on his in-ring and behind the scenes duties with All Elite Wrestling. Omega wrapped up his New Japan run with an IWGP Heavyweight Title match against Hiroshi Tanahashi at Wrestle Kingdom.

Along the way to his eventual last match in New Japan, Omega reunited with Kota Ibushi and they reformed the Golden Lovers. While speaking to Pro Wrestling Illustrated, Omega expressed that-that chapter of his career with Ibushi has yet to be closed. He does not know when it will happen, but he doubts that people have seen the last of him and Ibushi on-screen or in the ring together.

I doubt it . I doubt it. If I were a betting man… if I were a betting man, I would say it’s safe to say that — when real life is involved, when it’s more than just the wrestling in the ring and now as time goes by… as time goes by and promotions and fans are listening more to — listening and responding more to what they wanna see in professional wrestling, I don’t feel that — like you said, we talked about the forbidden door or this concept of that if you wrestle for one promotion, there’s no way you could intermingle with another. Those borders are disintegrating, they’re evaporating and you know, we’ve seen IMPACT talent on AEW, we’ve seen New Japan talent in AEW. We’ve seen our talent go elsewhere as well and who knows where the future lies. There may be more special guests and surprises in the future and for me, again, I am a storyteller and way more than I like professional wrestling, I enjoy telling stories, physical stories in the ring and for me, I love stories that have an ending. I love stories that have a beginning, middle and end and I have a lot of stories that have yet to have a final chapter. That story is yet to close and I would love with however long my health allows me to, I would love for that book to have it’s final chapter written and that goes not only for that but for quite a few other stories in my career as well. I would love to be able to close the book and just sort of at the end of it all, look back and be proud that these stories that I pictured in my wacky little brain, they had a beginning, middle and end and that I was able to close that book happily and for someone as influential as Ibushi was to my career, inside and outside of it, I feel it’d just be an injustice for it to die. So who knows?

Omega is coming off a successful defense of the AEW World Championship at All Out. He scored a win over Christian Cage and to close the event, The Elite (Omega, Adam Cole, The Young Bucks, Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson) brawled with Bryan Danielson, Jungle Boy, Luchasaurus and Christian Cage.

If the quote in this article is used, please credit the Pro Wrestling Illustrated podcast with an H/T and link back to POST Wrestling for the transcription.