Likely/Unlikely predictions for 2019

Since we are coming up to the end of the year, I would like to present some likely/unlikely scenarios for 2019 for MMA & Wrestling. I would love to see everybody’s choices for these. What do you guys think?

• All Elite Wrestling reaches a major cable network (not streaming service)
  • The Four Horsewomen vs The Four Horsewomen takes place in 2019
  • Kenny Omega is still IWGP champion by the end of 2019
  • Paul Heyman joins the WWE Creative Team
  • Conor McGregor vs Georges St-Pierre takes place in 2019
  • Anderson Silva retires
  • Impact Wrestling goes OUT OF BUSINESS in 2019
  • Will Ospreay wins the IWGP Heavyweight Championship
  • CM Punk returns to professional wrestling
  • Hulk Hogan is a weekly character on WWE TV
  • Lucha Underground is still a weekly TV show by the end of 2019
  • Daniel Cormier becomes a Smackdown commentator when it moves to FOX
  • Johnny Gargano becomes NXT Champion
  • Brock Lesnar fights Jon Jones or Daniel Cormier
  • ROH and NJPW end their working relationship
  • There is an ALL-IN 2
3 Likes
  • All Elite Wrestling reaches a major cable network (not streaming service): unlikely
  • The Four Horsewomen vs The Four Horsewomen takes place in 2019: likely
  • Kenny Omega is still IWGP champion by the end of 2019: unlikely
  • Paul Heyman joins the WWE Creative Team: unlikely
  • Conor McGregor vs Georges St-Pierre takes place in 2019: unlikely
  • Anderson Silva retires: unlikely
  • Impact Wrestling goes OUT OF BUSINESS in 2019: unlikely
  • Will Ospreay wins the IWGP Heavyweight Championship: unlikely
  • CM Punk returns to professional wrestling: unlikely
  • Hulk Hogan is a weekly character on WWE TV: unlikely
  • Lucha Underground is still a weekly TV show by the end of 2019: unlikely
  • Daniel Cormier becomes a Smackdown commentator when it moves to FOX: unlikely
  • Johnny Gargano becomes NXT Champion: likely
  • Brock Lesnar fights Jon Jones or Daniel Cormier: likely
  • ROH and NJPW end their working relationship: unlikely
  • There is an ALL-IN 2: likely
1 Like

Oh, I don’t know about St-Pierre vs McGregor not happening, I think this has to be the year to do it.

I think the UFC will try to do it, it just seems like in recent interviews Georges interest isn’t there. I think if he does fight Conor, it would have to be for a 165lb title, because the idea of being a 3 division champion would be very inticing for him. It could very well happen, I’m just not betting on it.

1 Like
  • All Elite Wrestling reaches a major cable network (not streaming service): unlikely: not sure about this one but it’s becoming harder and harder to get a good tv deal, they would need a huge attraction to sign on to the company like a cm punk to get the attention of a network. I feel they might get a deal on a steaming service but cable tv i doubt it

• The Four Horsewomen vs The Four Horsewomen takes place in 2019: likely: i could see the horsewomen vs the horsewomen happening as the main event of survivor series. We know that Fox wants Ronda rousey on smackdown, why not just put the MMA horsewoman on smackdown and have becky and charlotte go to Raw and that’s a special attraction match for survivor series.

• Kenny Omega is still IWGP champion by the end of 2019: likely: Unless somehow HHH is able get convince him to join wwe, he better off staying in New Japan plus he the bigger non japanese star they have right now so why not keep him as champion as long as they possibly can.

• Paul Heyman joins the WWE Creative Team: unlikely: Heyman won’t join the creative team ever because he’s been very public about how bad the experience was for him the last time he was part of the creative team.

• Conor McGregor vs Georges St-Pierre takes place in 2019: unlikely: george won’t come out of retirement for this fight and i doubt dana white see this fight as a big deal.

• Anderson Silva retires: likely: if he continues to lose then i see him retiring next year

• Impact Wrestling goes OUT OF BUSINESS in 2019: unlikely: Impact won’t go out of business because I think anthem will do everything in their power to find them a better tv deal

• Will Ospreay wins the IWGP Heavyweight Championship: unlikely: he too injury prone for them to considered making him the face of the company.

• CM Punk returns to professional wrestling: unlikely: Punk will never comeback to wrestling unless the pay is right and that the story is worth it

• Hulk Hogan is a weekly character on WWE TV: likely: i feel he won’t be on TV every week, but i wouldn’t be surprise that when they go back to having GM’s after mania, that Hogan might get one of the role depending how fox would react to having Hogan as GM of smackdown

• Lucha Underground is still a weekly TV show by the end of 2019: unlikely: that show is done, the rating are in the toilet, and Netflix took it out of the rotation of programs so i don’T see a bright future for this show.

• Daniel Cormier becomes a Smackdown commentator when it moves to FOX: likely: Fox wants him so if he’s available by september, WWE will sign him.

• Johnny Gargano becomes NXT Champion: likely: Gargano will become NXT champion mostly because their really no place for him in wwe outside of NXT, everybody else in the title picture is light years ahead of him as far as personality goes so while ciampa and black might get called up before the end of the year and get a spot on either raw or smackdown, the only place gargano can go outside of NXT is 205 live, so he’s better off being the face of NXT.

• Brock Lesnar fights Jon Jones or Daniel Cormier: unlikely: i say unlikely mostly for Jones because i don’t think that fight will happen plus it would be a complete nightmare of a fight to book because of the outside problem both guys has, but the cormier fight maybe, it depends on if Lesnar is ready to do the fight before the retirement of cormier from the UFC.

• ROH and NJPW end their working relationship: likely: i’m kind have this gut feeling that Roh needs New japan more then new japan needs ROH at this point. New japan sold out MSG during the mania weekend not ROH, just ask any fans that bought a ticket for the show, it was for the new japan guys that they bought tickets. New japan as a lot of momentum and with Omega staying and the bucks probably staying with new japan as well, they don’t need ROH anymore so i wouldn’t be surprise if they leave and go with another company like this All elite wrestling company that is rumored to started next year.

• There is an ALL-IN 2: likely: simply put, i think Cody already mention something around the fact that he’s already planning another event for next year. It might not be call all in 2 but i think you will see something around that

I Just feel like while Connor will be more then willing to do the fight, George won’t come out of retirement for the fight. In fact I feel like George might not even comeback to the UFC at all, but if I’m wrong so be it because like everybody else that are mildly following UFC, this is a fight I would be interested in seeing if it happens.

1 Like

I really don’t see Hogan back on TV in a regular weekly Raw/Smackdown spot ever again. I think the heat has come off enough, that he will do some PR with them and try and fix his own image, maybe some network stuff too. I could see them doing another Tough Enough short term with Hogan, I’d drop that name though, talk about a dead brand.

My favorite bit!

1. Unlikely: and here are the tea leaves for AEW - will not reach a major network but instead will be part of B/R Live (or ESPN +); whatever rumor there is that Turner is interested must be to bolster their BR Live service which saw marginal success with Tiger Vs Phil and appears to be targeting niche audiences that will bring chunks of users at a time. If BTE does 100k views on YouTube without fail week after week, then just add that fan to BR Live for AEW and that’s a big win for a fledgling stream service with big money behind it and no major live sports

2. Likely (if not next year then when?!) horsewomen v horsewomen happens in 2019. This is the post Mania angle after the Women’s 3 way main events Mania and Rousey loses

3. Unlikely but he will be working with the company.

4. Unlikely but Paul Heymen already influences creative (I think he’s heavily behind The Man gimmick, but won’t be and doesn’t want to be acknowledged as “creative”)

5. Unlikely: Conor vs GSP will not happen. I have an aquaintence who claims to know GSP for years and says he has zero interest in this fight. Take it with a grain of salt although he did correctly tell me Misha Tate was retiring before that was a thing.

6. Likely that Anderson Silva will claim retirement which doesn’t mean he won’t fight again after said retirement

7. Unlikely Impact is Out Of Business because Impact Wrestling and ROH merge in 2019 when…
    (Skipping a few)

8. Likely that ROH and NJPW dissolve partnership in 2nd half of 2019 (NJPW will then begin working with AEW)

9. Unlikely but I could absolutely see Will Osprey main event the Tokyo Dome in 2020 (potentially against Kota Ibushi) which will be set up on 2019 and play directly off these two opening the card in 2019.

10. Likely. CM Punk returns in some fashion to pro wrestling. Too much new money flowing into the business for him to not get a massive offer even he doesn’t say no to. Imagine the Brinks truck WWE backs up if AEW gets off to a hot start and Kahn is playing with real money.

11. Unlikely Hogan is a weekly character but I do think he gets used more in 2019

12. Likely Lucha Underground remains a TV show (somewhere) after 2019. Unique wrestling content that isn’t the standard wrestling show will become an interesting alternative to streaming in 2019.

13. Very likely Cormier joins WWE by Q4 2019

14. Likely Gargano is crowned NXT Champion in 2019 (and loses the championship very quickly thereafter)

15. Likely Lesner fights Cormier in UFC (I think as a talent agreement for when Cormier joins WWE). Both sides benefit.

16. 100% All In 2 (“Double or Nothing”) will take place. If you heard the chant and how it lit up Cody’s Face at Final Battle I don’t see how anyone in Cody’s position passes up the opportunity to double down.

This is annoying to try and mark in the prediction contest, even more annoying to read in here.

1 Like
  • All Elite Wrestling reaches a major cable network (not streaming service) - Unlikely

• The Four Horsewomen vs The Four Horsewomen takes place in 2019 - Unlikely

• Kenny Omega is still IWGP champion by the end of 2019 - Unlikely

• Paul Heyman joins the WWE Creative Team - Unlikely

• Conor McGregor vs Georges St-Pierre takes place in 2019 - Likely

• Anderson Silva retires - Likely

• Impact Wrestling goes OUT OF BUSINESS in 2019 - Unlikely

• Will Ospreay wins the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - Likely

• CM Punk returns to professional wrestling - Unlikely

• Hulk Hogan is a weekly character on WWE TV - Unlikely

• Lucha Underground is still a weekly TV show by the end of 2019 - Likely

• Daniel Cormier becomes a Smackdown commentator when it moves to FOX - Unlikely

• Johnny Gargano becomes NXT Champion - Likely

• Brock Lesnar fights Jon Jones or Daniel Cormier - Likely

• ROH and NJPW end their working relationship - Unlikely

• There is an ALL-IN 2 - Likely

Without trying to cause a fuss…Pickels is super generous with his time to host the PPV prediction contest. Perhaps he is referencing without listing what each choice is for it is hard to quickly “mark” as correct and not correct.

Though I also am probably equally as annoying as I provide my thoughts with each pick and I am sure he doesn’t want to read that :roll_eyes:

Let’s not fight this holiday szn!

2 Likes

Ah understood, I’ve changed the format. Originally I was unsure as to what he was talking about lol.

And hey, the holiday spirit is secondary to a Jon Jones fight week! Tensions are high! I think I’ll probably just mentally collapse if/when he gets his arm raised and a belt wrapped around his waist on Saturday.

1 Like

Yeah that’s exactly what I mean, it’s mainly the bonus questions because it’s easy to forget what order I put them(or if a wrestler is in multiple matches).

The thoughts is fine by me.

No hard feelings Celticy.

1 Like
  • All Elite Wrestling reaches a major cable network (not streaming service)- Likely
  • The Four Horsewomen vs The Four Horsewomen takes place in 2019- Very Likely
  • Kenny Omega is still IWGP champion by the end of 2019- unlikely
  • Paul Heyman joins the WWE Creative Team- likely
  • Conor McGregor vs Georges St-Pierre takes place in 2019- unlikely
  • Anderson Silva retires- unlikely
  • Impact Wrestling goes OUT OF BUSINESS in 2019- unlikely (i could see them getting bought)
  • Will Ospreay wins the IWGP Heavyweight Championship- as much as i want it… unlikely
  • CM Punk returns to professional wrestling- GIVE IT UP! UNLIKELY!!!
  • Hulk Hogan is a weekly character on WWE TV- unlikely
  • Lucha Underground is still a weekly TV show by the end of 2019- unlikely
  • Daniel Cormier becomes a Smackdown commentator when it moves to FOX- very likely
  • Johnny Gargano becomes NXT Champion- all but certain
  • Brock Lesnar fights Jon Jones or Daniel Cormier- likely
  • ROH and NJPW end their working relationship- toss-up really
  • There is an ALL-IN 2- 100% likely

I really like your idea of Osprey v Ibushi to headline 2020… now it makes total sense to have them kick off the show just to have the storyline of them as the main event the next year.

1 Like

I can see Ibushi winning the title at MSG and Ospreay wins the G1. I really want to see Ibushi/Okada at Wrestle Kingdom though.

1 Like

@Rated_R_Poster this is exactly how I drew it up in my head with Ibushi besting Kenny at the Garden and maybe Okada at Dominion (following Kenny’s two years with Okada at Dominion) I’ve come to expect history to play an important role in NJPW booking.

1 Like
  • Unlikley: “All Elite Wrestling reaches a major cable network (not streaming service)”
  • Unlikely: “The Four Horsewomen vs The Four Horsewomen takes place in 2019”
  • Unlikely: “Kenny Omega is still IWGP champion by the end of 2019”
  • Likley: “Paul Heyman joins the WWE Creative Team”
  • Likley: “Conor McGregor vs Georges St-Pierre takes place in 2019”
  • Likley: “Anderson Silva retires”
  • Unlikley: “Impact Wrestling goes OUT OF BUSINESS in 2019” ^
  • Unlikley: “Will Ospreay wins the IWGP Heavyweight Championship”
  • Unlikley: “CM Punk returns to professional wrestling”
  • Unlikley: “Hulk Hogan is a weekly character on WWE TV”
  • Unlikley: “Lucha Underground is still a weekly TV show by the end of 2019”
  • Unlikley: “Daniel Cormier becomes a Smackdown commentator when it moves to FOX”
  • Likely: “Johnny Gargano becomes NXT Champion”
  • Likley: “Brock Lesnar fights Jon Jones or Daniel Cormier”
  • Likley: “ROH and NJPW end their working relationship”
  • Likley: “There is an ALL-IN 2”

^ As long as Anthem still has assets to sell for cash and owns television stations Impact will continue to survive, in some form or another.

• All Elite Wrestling reaches a major cable network (not streaming service)- Unlikely
  • The Four Horsewomen vs The Four Horsewomen takes place in 2019- Likely
  • Kenny Omega is still IWGP champion by the end of 2019- unlikely
  • Paul Heyman joins the WWE Creative Team- unlikely
  • Conor McGregor vs Georges St-Pierre takes place in 2019- unlikely
  • Anderson Silva retires- likely
  • Impact Wrestling goes OUT OF BUSINESS in 2019- unlikely
  • Will Ospreay wins the IWGP Heavyweight Championship- unlikely
  • CM Punk returns to professional wrestling- unlikely
  • Hulk Hogan is a weekly character on WWE TV- unlikely I sincerely hope not!
  • Lucha Underground is still a weekly TV show by the end of 2019- unlikely
  • Daniel Cormier becomes a Smackdown commentator when it moves to FOX- unlikely
  • Johnny Gargano becomes NXT Champion- likely
  • Brock Lesnar fights Jon Jones or Daniel Cormier- unlikely
  • ROH and NJPW end their working relationship- likely
  • There is an ALL-IN 2- likely
  • All Elite Wrestling reaches a major cable network (not streaming service) - Unlikely
  • The Four Horsewomen vs The Four Horsewomen takes place in 2019 - Unlikely
  • Kenny Omega is still IWGP champion by the end of 2019 - Unlikely
  • Paul Heyman joins the WWE Creative Team - Unlikely
  • Conor McGregor vs Georges St-Pierre takes place in 2019 - Unlikely
  • Anderson Silva retires - Likely
  • Impact Wrestling goes OUT OF BUSINESS in 2019 - Unlikely
  • Will Ospreay wins the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - Unlikely
  • CM Punk returns to professional wrestling - Unlikely
  • Hulk Hogan is a weekly character on WWE TV - Unlikely
  • Lucha Underground is still a weekly TV show by the end of 2019 - Unlikely
  • Daniel Cormier becomes a Smackdown commentator when it moves to FOX - Unlikely
  • Johnny Gargano becomes NXT Champion - Likely
  • Brock Lesnar fights Jon Jones or Daniel Cormier - Likely
  • ROH and NJPW end their working relationship - Unlikely
  • There is an ALL-IN 2 - Likely