Major spoiler from the NXT tapings at Full Sail University, main event announced for TakeOver

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2018/07/18/major-spoiler-from-the-nxt-tapings-at-full-sail-university/

At Wednesday night’s NXT television tapings at Full Sail University, Tommaso Ciampa defeated Aleister Black to become the NXT champion.

The match is scheduled to air on next Wednesday’s episode.

Later in the tapings, William Regal announced the NXT title match at TakeOver will feature Tommaso Ciampa defending the title against Johnny Gargano and Aleister Black in a three-way match.

Wednesday’s tapings will cover the remaining episodes heading into the NXT TakeOver special on Saturday, August 18th from the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.

Black had held the title since April 7th when he defeated Andrade Cien Almas at TakeOver New Orleans over WrestleMania weekend.

1 Like

Wow! Thats unexpected. NXT is very bullish on the Gargano feud. I bet Aleister Black debuts August 20 on RAW!

Black had one of the most forgettable reigns in nxt history.

1 Like

sad that his reigns was overshadowed by the gargano/chiampa feud because black really deserved better then that since He’s a future main event talent while gargano isn’t and while I love heel chiampa, i don’t see a bright future for him either on the main roster.

So now with chiampa as champion, wouldn’t be surprise if they flip the belt on gargano at the next takeover special.

2 Likes

I agree 100 percent with you. Not blacks fault I think he’s one hell of a talent. He just happened to win the belt when one of the hottest feuds started.

1 Like

Sami Zyan says “Hi!”

1 Like

I said one of lol. Not the most forgettable.

This reminds me of CM Punk’s first World title reign when they took it off him because the Jericho/HBK feud “needed” it. Gargano/Ciampa has been the key thing in NXT and has been main eventing over Black. It didn’t help that they gave him Lars Sullivan to work with, who most thought didn’t have a chance of beating Black. I do agree that Black has a lot of potential for his future though, he’s one of those guys who probably didn’t need the title before being called up.

1 Like

I for one am very excited to see the Ciampa/Black match on next weeks NXT and then the triple threat match at TakeOver. For a third match in the series, adding Black changes up the dynamic of the match and could extend the feud. The Gargano/Ciampa feud has already been about the NXT championship so it makes sense for it to be elevated even higher than it already is with a championship match.

NXT hasn’t done a triple threat championship match in forever but have a history of spectacular multi-man matches. I expect this one to be excellent too.

I could see some sort of loser leaves town match at War Games.

Yeah it seems like under the current formula, the NXT Championship is destined to have a decent amount of oddly short or underwhelming reigns. Not sure if this is the case here, but if we assume that the NXT Champion is typically a guy who has been deemed “ready” (or close to it) for a call-up, there always will be guys who have just 1-2 programs as champion before dropping the strap.

A quick look at the Cage Match database says that nobody has had more than five televised (including Takeovers) successful title defenses in a single reign since Neville… and the guy with five was Kevin Owens, who had already made his main roster debut at that point.

1 Like