Mandy Rose released by WWE after dropping NXT women's title

Actually this is the biggest news website in the UK. As you can see sex sells in the UK and not the sex Vince is accused off. I think it has had an impact.

Does it? The Vince story is right there as well (which of course it is since you are clearly in the wrestling section). I went to the website myself and I couldn’t even find it, even if I click on the sports section all I see is football and soccer.

See for youself:

What I take from this paper, is that wrestling is not something they care about. Just look at the stories below, its got stories still there from years ago (ie. the paige story). You dont need to “hide” something that is already hidden.

Regardless, to each their own. Clearly some people thing otherwise, and thats fine.

Fair enough with the Mail but the Sun reports on Wrestling a lot. Vince is the bigger story but it’s 3rd. Behind 2 stories of Rose.

She’s not a big star but she’s a “Naked woman” so it’s a bigger story at least here in the Uk

1 Like

When you quote a british newspaper, avoid daily mail which is a pile of rubbish.

2 Likes

To be honest, her being fired is going to give her the best publicity. If the WWE would’ve let this fly, no one would’ve known of the pics.

2 Likes

The flooding the zone IMO was intended to flood the place where the convos are front and center: the IWC. That’s why it was leaked and not an official announcement from company that would get picked up easily by Wires not just blogs. (who remembers those really weird Sasha and Naomi PR releases).

I also struggle to find original reporting on Vince. It’s just the WSJ and a lot of regurgitating that story in other by lines. If more people who actually care (not the Daily Mail IMO) kept the pressure up and did their own reporting / found new angles and slants to form that pressure and keep it topical for Fans, it may cause a difference in outcome. If they are chasing details on other stories, and those stories eat up oxygen in the room, well, we saw how fast BrawlOut became the biggest story of the summer despite Vince a few weeks (days?) earlier.

What I’m describing is what happens in a lot of other industries. It’s narrative making. It’s the new News. In the “IWC Bubble” that is designed to drive clicks and engagement. Not necessarily press the topic and relent until a new path is forged. Why Palace Intrigue sells - it’s what the lowest common denominator is looking for and what allows Journalists to do speculative news and editorials instead of fact based which requires research and more than “Sources”

I’ll say this, I think if they were wanting to bury the Vince story they would have made up a story that’s bigger.

I agree with your middle part, most of the stories are just essentially outside outlets citing the WSJ story. But other sites are still talking about, problem is nobody cares about wrestling. If this was say Lorne Michaels not Vince, guarantee it’s 10 times bigger.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say nobody cares about Wrestling, there is a large IWC that does care. They also seemingly think there is an equivalency when it comes to non-content stories, and also care more for the non-content stories to be viewed and treated as Content. That’s the industry now.

IF they wanted to flood the WSJ-level zone, they’d need a bigger story. As I speculated, when the goal is just to flood the IWC, it’s so easy. Leaks about literally anyone or anything will dominate the convo for 24 hours washing away the WSJ story among the only audience that matters.

Let me ask this in good faith @kliq - do you fully doubt they (WWE, but also other promotions AND Talent) purposefully leak things to influence the conversation or narrative and get people leaning one way or the other with their focus. Again, specifically to the only audience that talks about this stuff (non mass consumption, just the IWC). It’s PR, which also doubles as reporting when the stuff gets passed on to consumers. It’s a form of unearned coverage that usually aims to getting out their messaging. Why the release(s) for example always filter through somebody first, not a Press Release. Press Releases would get picked up by places like the WSJ or Reuters or AP - they don’t because it’s not a story outside of the Bubble

The latest from Meltzer on Sasha has these traits all over it, right to the point he prints that they think she’s already peaked. It’s designed to get to the IWC audience, to plant the narrative. Whether it works or not, hard to say, but it definitely is provocative and gets the community discussing the topic de jour. The ecosystem is evolved. As most media has.

I know that but it is the most popular read paper…says a lot about us English.

I do not read it just for info

1 Like

Sorry, I should have been more specific. When I said “nobody cares about wrestling” I was specifically talking about mainstream media. So CNN, MSNBC etc. Thats why I used the Lorne comparison.

To answer your question in the second bold. Yes I do. I dont put it past WWE to do any of the things you or anyone is accusing them of, all I am saying is I dont think the Mandy Rose story is that. I just think that particular story is too “small beans” to have an effect on the Vince story. I think the Vince story stays hidden because its wrestling.

1 Like