Mark Calaway indicates he has retired, although keeps the door open

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/06/21/mark-calaway-indicates-he-has-retired-although-keeps-the-door-open/

During the final installment of “The Last Ride”, Mark Calaway stated he had no desire to return to the ring while leaving the door open as a possibility.

Throughout the series, the theme of finality and chasing that send off has alluded Mark Calaway, the man behind the character of nearly three decades.

The final episode focused on the decision to return at WrestleMania for one more match with AJ Styles and how it evolved into the cinematic-style Boneyard Match.

It was Styles that pitched the idea to Calaway, who ultimately decided to go ahead and do the match. Once the COVID-19 pandemic forced a shut down of live events involving fans, the idea was formed of taking their match outside the Performance Center and onto a plot of land they constructed for the set of the match.

A story that was not known was that on the eve of the shoot, Calaway was alerted of his older brother Tim’s passing from a heart attack on March 24th.

It was noted during the episode that Paul Levesque, Michael Hayes, and Jeremy Borash were among the team producing the match. They added that shooting was stopped early when Calaway put his arm through the window of the hearse and legitimately needed glass removed from his arm before they continued.

Two months after the well-received match, Calaway reflected on the match and his career stating a desire to move on from The Undertaker character and felt that was a great way to go out. He did leave it open with the usual “never say never” and if Vince McMahon was in a pinch and needed him, he would cross that bridge when he gets to it.

While wrestling retirements are taken with a grain of salt by their nature, The Undertaker has flirted with retirement for years with the most pronounced after the loss to Roman Reigns at WrestleMania 33 where he left his hat and jacket in the ring as a symbolic end to his career.

Calaway, 55, has been playing the character since November 1990 when he was introduced at the Survivor Series that year and became WWF champion for the first time one year later defeating Hulk Hogan.

His legacy will be tied to the WrestleMania streak that began in 1991 and went 21-0 at the event until losing to Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania 30 in 2014. During that stretch, he missed WrestleMania in 1994 and 2000. The unofficial streak began in 2007 when Calaway started having some of the best matches of his career on an annual basis at the event beginning with Dave Bautista and continuing with Edge, Shawn Michaels, Triple H, and CM Punk.

Retired but keeping the door open. So no different than the past 10 years.

2 Likes

I think that he will come back for the right price. Money is what it is all about. He should have been honest and just admitted that money was the reason he came back after the reigns match.

I dont want to see Taker in the ring again, but I see no reason why he can’t make appearances and do matches like the AJ/mania match. I look at that match the same way I look at a Sylvester Stallone or Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. If done the right way, it doesn’t need to take any toll on his body and he should be able to do them for years.

As long as he doesn’t bump and its believable, why not.

Yeah he’s retired until the next Saudi show

1 Like

That has to be one of the worst documentary series I’ve ever watched. The repetitive loop of him saying he might be done, then he might do one more, couldn’t paint a worse picture of the final years of the legacy of Taker - and this was his/WWE’s choice to portray it this way. Neither he, nor WWE, have protected his character in all this, after years of it being the most protected!

The interest in the show is the possibility that we’re watching him reveal himself to be so indecisive in his decisions, or that he isn’t being truthful over and over. Each time in the series, prior to the AJ match, where he said he was done, only to follow it with a look to the camera that signifies that he knew he wasn’t going to abide by that - even going back to right after the big retirement after the Roman match!

One thing that stood out to me was Michelle saying this had been his “identity” for 30 years. If that is the case that would mean he has been The Undertaker for 30 years, and that would be how he was each day, “living the gimmick”. Instead of The Undertaker being his image for 30 years, where that’s just what people perceived him to be, and he would have been able to separate himself and the character the whole time. Maybe that’s the reason he has found it so hard to stop.

I had a completely different take from that series then you did. The biggest issue fans tend to have with WWE documentaries is lack of honestly (Ruthless Aggression anyone?) With this documentary, we got to see the man over a 3 year period go back and forth with what to do with his career in a very real way, and sometimes real isn’t pretty. It’s that struggle between knowing deep down that walking away is the best decision vs walking away from the thing you love to do more then anything else in the world. I cannot say that a man being honest with his fans over the torment this decision has caused him as ruining his legacy.

I will take back what I said two posts ago as I just finished chapter 5 a few minutes ago, I didnt realize the toll the boneyard match took on his body, after seeing what he went through to shoot that match, I hope he stays retired even from those types of matches. I’m fine with an appearance here and there to choke slam someone, but after that boneyard match and this documentary, he’s never going to find a better exit.

Though, I notice a lot of you are using the word “retired”, unless I missed it he never once used that word.

All episodes have been an enjoyable watch & because Undertaker isn’t one we’ve seen drop his character for this sort of thing up until recently only increased the appeal.

I saw his back & forth between whether to retire or not as not untruthful but indecision on his part. (Remember these were filmed over a couple years & people change their mind)
I imagine it’s hard to say you won’t do something ever again & there’s really no need to.
Up until the end saying he’s content if it’s over but not going so far as to say retired on a public forum means he isn’t painted into a corner even if privately he thinks to himself he is retired.

I’m happy personally if he’s done & would like to see a proper send off at Survivor Series this year if that’s the case.

I think the sentimentality of going out at the event that introduced you 30 years ago would be pretty cool :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The whole story of the first few episodes was his desperation to go out with a match that he felt befit his career.

While there was no crowd, I think the last few years have demonstrated that in a traditional match he can’t deliver the match that he wants - this is as close as he’ll get to that final match that he wants.

I really hope this is it for him. None of us need to see him again in a normal match after that Goldberg horror show.

2 Likes