Marty Scurll issues statement about the sexual assault allegations against him

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/06/23/marty-scurll-issues-statement-about-the-sexual-assault-allegations-against-him/

Ring of Honor’s Marty Scurll was accused of sexual assault on June 22nd by Twitter user @mystickttn, who worked for the promotion IPW:UK at the time of the alleged assault. She was 16-years old at the time and ran into Marty Scurll at a post-show party. Per the story, Marty asked her to go back to the hotel and when they got there, he pulled out his penis and asked her to perform oral sex which she did. Before the situation escalated further, a friend of hers showed up and told Marty to leave.

Scurll has released a statement on Twitter addressing the allegations and made mention that he believes the encounter was consensual and legal since the age of 16 is considered of age in the United Kingdom.

“I am aware that a young woman has bravely come forward with her account of sexual abuse by some members of the wrestling community in the UK 5 years ago, a community I was a part of.

Although I truly believe that our encounter that evening was consensual, and the fact that the encounter was legal; is almost not the point. I understand that she now views our encounter as part of a bigger problem within the wrestling community.

What concerns me at this moment is that from what I have been reading, she is a fan of wrestling and was made to feel unsafe within that community. This is not acceptable. I also understand that people have been attacking her on social media, and I implore you to please stop. She has a right to her voice and it is our responsibility to listen.”

pic.twitter.com/NeM0eUHEq0

— Marty Scurll (@MartyScurll) June 23, 2020

Marty Scurll is currently a co-booker of Ring of Honor and as more information about this specific situation and more stories that emerge from the #SpeakingOut movement come to light, we’ll continue to update you here on POST Wrestling.

Well that was a pretty weak statement.

What’s the accusation here? Haven’t read up on this situation. He pressured her or that she was too young or that wrestlers shouldn’t get with fans…?

1 Like

Kind of trying to figure out that myself. Really great parenting though. You’re drunk, 16-year-old daughter may have been sexually abused and you post shit on Facebook about it. Dad of the year.

Maybe he shouldn’t hook up with drunk 16-year-olds…

3 Likes

You don’t have to tell me. 16 as the age of consent is fucking weird. Raise that shit. I’m just glad I don’t have really shitty parents like hers. Marty should absolutely have known better there is no question about that.

1 Like

Extremely confused as to why you’re hung up on the dad’s behavior, more than Marty Scrull fucking a child.

I’m not more concerned. That shit is gross. Fuck him. What he did is completely wrong. I did however read the full story and was a bit shocked & appalled at the people this young girl head around her. The ones who are supposed to protect her. That OK with you? Am I allowed or no?

The age of consent in the UK is 16 (subject to certain exclusions that don’t apply in this case). Whether you agree with that is irrelevant. The relevant question is was she too drunk to give consent.

Agreed on the consent.

And no matter the country, Marty Scrull fucked a child.

1 Like

Exactly B. I’m just like man 16? Super young. To me, that’s a kid. Looks like the law says otherwise though. Very messy stuff.

That’s not what the law says.

1 Like

This is true. Just going to have to wait and see how this one plays out.

Yup. You can vote at 16 (in Scotland), consent to sex (certain rules around people in positions of trust) and get married but you can’t buy a lottery ticket, buy cigarettes or drink alcohol. Fn nonsensical.

1 Like

The alcohol thing I completely agree with though because there was a time in this country where the drinking age was 18 kids were dying left and right. If it were 16, I wouldn’t even get on the road. 16-year-olds don’t make the best decisions

18 is just as arbitrary as 16. There are hundreds of thousands of fuckwits in this country aged 18 or over who are incapable of making sensible decisions.

1 Like

It wasn’t just arbitrary. The amount of drunk driving fatalities when the age was 18 as opposed to 21 was staggering. In theory, I agree with you. If I didn’t know those old statistics, I would probably agree with you. It’s definitely a weird one. I just feel if the drinking age was 16, deaths will skyrocket.

If it’s about the age of consent then as far as the underage thing is concerned, he’s clear (although still frowned upon in society). Still weird but people grow up in the cultures they grow up in, and he grew up in a culture where 16 is legal and drunk sex is normal. So the UK’s laws would be more of your issue there. Don’t think 16 year olds are allowed to drink alcohol though especially in bars/clubs so don’t know what was happening there.

The main question is when do people have self agency? Does a 16 year old when put in a sexual situation with a man in his mid-20s who knows better? I’d say no but unfortunately people don’t look at things from the other person’s perspective until they’ve matured as a person and that can be at 18, 25, 40, whenever. That’s why laws are important in showing people the lines.

1 Like