Matches to show a non/new fan

I wouldn’t show a 10+mn match to someone who doesn’t usually watch wrestling.

1 Like

Sure , send me the link. Would love to check it out.

1 Like

Show a new fan any Royal Rumble match. I have friends who are not wrestling fans, but will watch the Royal Rumble just to see the different characters, storylines, entrances, etc. Its a good way for a new fan to see everyone from the different eras of each rumble match

4 Likes

That’s a great shout. My ex got into wrestling purely because I watched it all the time and she wanted to spend time with me so would watch it with me, but she became a fan of it because of how much fun she had watching the Rumble with us all that year and after that wrestling became something she wanted to engage with, not just because I like it, but because she did as well.

1 Like

Necro Butcher vs Samoa Joe.

1 Like

I agree with not showing “flashy”/OMG/epic matches for first time viewers of wrestling as they won’t look at it or enjoy it like we would. And if they do, the next match they’d see will probably not live up to it. I got into it with WM10. Brother vs Brother was a relatable story and the Ladder match displayed a different type of match that wrestling can provide on any given show.

Summerslam 2002 sounds like a nice show to show someone and has a wide variety of matches that can catch someone’s eye. So Angle vs Mysterio would be good as it shows 2 different styles clashing, it’s short and a hot opener.

1 Like

Yeah that’s how Damian got his 10 year old son into wrestling. :laughing:

2 Likes

Naomi Vs Alica Fox

1 Like

On a selfish level I’d say Owen Hart vs. Goldust vs. Hunter Hearst Helmsley for the IC title on Raw with Pat Patterson as the special ref. Mostly because the weirdest and the look was the thing that got me hooked into wrestling in the first place. If I was going to show a non-fan some wrestling then it would have to be something from PWG or Progress (personally love Havoc vs. Ospreay from Chapter 20) just because the atmosphere is so incredible and it makes you want to watch wrestling live.

1 Like

I know as wrestling fans we are all big fans of the matches, but to a non-fan I feel like the best place to start is with promos and recap videos. Non-fans might be impressed by the acrobatics or brutality of a single match but they won’t care if they don’t know the characters. Honestly I can say the same about myself.

Show them stuff like the HBK vs Undertaker build-up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMGD8QHRBbQ

Daniel Bryan Monster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsX1ATcyQxU

Rock and Cena: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suJU0l0KFtM

WWE does an amazing jobs with these videos setting up the story for the match. Without them, to a lot of people, wrestling is just two guys faking it in the ring.

1 Like

I think it depends on the era. For the 80’s, Id pick Hogan vs Andre at Wrestlemania 3. For the early 90s, Id pick Bret vs. Shawn in the Iron Man Match. For the Attitude Era, Id pick Taker vs Mankind in Hell in a Cell or any Austin-Rock match. For the early 2000’s, Id pick Lesnar vs the Rock or John Cena vs JBL at Wrestlemania 21. And currently, Id pick AJ Styles vs John Cena at Summerslam 2016 or Reigns vs Lesnar at Wrestlemania.

1 Like

Id even add any of the Samoa Joe-Finn Balor matches from NXT

1 Like

One true answer;

2 Likes

Piper vs Bad News Brown at Mania 6, where Piper was painted half black… cringeworthy

Young Bucks vs Joey and Candice… Candice bled buckets.

Madusa vs. EVAN Karagias… from WCW Nov 99. It was very odd and very sexual. Thanks vinny RU.

1 Like

Yup. My answer in fact.

I will always champion Necro/Joe as the best gateway match for non-fans. Everything about it is amazing.

1 Like

Sami Zayn vs. Shinsuke Nakamura
HBK vs Y2J - WM XIX
Bret vs Owen - WM X

1 Like

You can now add last night’s Gargano vs. Almas match to the list.

2 Likes

Not necessarily the match, but the angle after White vs. Omega.
That’s the essence of the rollercoaster ride of emotions called pro-wrestling.

But I guess wrestling is fake and Netflix is not…

2 Likes

Anything between Hansen and Kobashi.

1 Like