Mayu Iwatani's life story to be made into a movie titled 'Runaway Wrestler'

Originally published at Mayu Iwatani's life story to be made into a movie titled 'Runaway Wrestler'

The life story of Mayu Iwatani is going to be told in the form of a movie.

Mayu Iwatani has been wrestling for a decade and her journey which led her to the sport of pro wrestling will be told in the form of a movie. Iwatani shared the news on her social media pages that a film titled ‘Runaway Wrestler’ is being made about her life story.

Mayu Iwatani's life story is being made into a movie. "Runaway Wrestler"
Auditions will be held for casting.

Desperate and withdrawn from reality in modern society, she left home for Tokyo and became a professional wrestler, but was still called Ponkotsu (useless/unreliable). https://t.co/WzWtCnt8Vm

— We Are Stardom (@we_are_stardom) June 6, 2022

In August of 2020, Iwatani published her autobiography and the film will be based off what Iwatani wrote in her book. The script is being written by Yoshiki Watanabe and will be directed by Jun Yoriko. Bushiroad President Takaaki Kitani commented on the project and expressed that he was moved by Mayu’s autobiography and thinks her story can inspire others.

I was very moved when I read this book, and I am amazed at how far it has come. I thought that if we managed to make a movie out of it, it might touch young people today and cheer them up.

Auditions are going to be held to determine who will play the role of Iwatani in the film. Bushiroad and ‘SHOWROOM’ are hosting the auditions.

1 Like