MCU L8R: Thor – Love & Thunder Spoiler Review

Originally published at MCU L8R: Thor – Love & Thunder Spoiler Review - POST Wrestling | WWE NXT AEW NJPW UFC Podcasts, News, Reviews

Wai Ting & WH Park are joined by Mike Murray for a spoiler-filled discussion about Marvel Studios’ 29th film, Thor: Love & Thunder.

Plus, feedback and calls with your thoughts on the film.

Thor embarks on a journey unlike anything he’s ever faced — a quest for inner peace. However, his retirement gets interrupted by Gorr the God Butcher, a galactic killer who seeks the extinction of the gods. To combat the threat, Thor enlists the help of King Valkyrie, Korg and ex-girlfriend Jane Foster, who — to his surprise — inexplicably wields his magical hammer. Together, they set out on a harrowing cosmic adventure to uncover the mystery of the God Butcher’s vengeance. (Google)

WH Park’s Recommendations:

Trailer:

To listen to our previous POST MCU Reviews: https://www.postwrestling.com/category/podcasts/postwrestlingcafe/movies/

Subscribe: https://postwrestling.com/subscribe

Patreon: http://postwrestlingcafe.com

Forum: https://forum.postwrestling.com

Discord: https://discord.com/invite/Q795HhR

Merch: https://store.postwrestling.com

Twitter/Facebook/Instagram/YouTube: @POSTwrestling

It was a pretty meh film. Probably the weakest one in this phase imo. Feel like it would have been better if it wasn’t focused so much on the comedy.
Or at least make it so that the whole movie is basically Korg retelling Thor’s story to fit the tone of the movie.

Also feel like it was a total waste of Christian Bale as Gorz.

Also thanks the WH for the recommendations. Gonna have to check them out.

2 Likes

I liked the film, but have to agree with WH, I felt it spent a lot of time on comedy, and not enough time developing the stakes and peripheral characters and relationships.

I wished the story could have been more fluid, I also felt that Eternity was under-explained.

I really enjoyed The Mighty Thor, Jane Foster. I also thought Natalie Portman and Tessa Thompson’s chemistry was good. I felt that Gor, and Christian Bale’s characterization was solid. I needed more about his choices, his motivations were clear but his actions were too ambiguous, re: eternity.

I also agree that all of the character development Thor had from Ragnorok through Endgame was wasted, spent on comedy instead of more fully affecting his character and journey. Which I found odd, given that Thor himself could have seen the “best” version of himself as the man he was with Jane, and his fall starting after she left him. I would have preferred that he reconnected with Jane when he had his Thor belly and was more broken. He cod have seen her as the Mighty Thor and her strength motivating him to be better, without her being a “savior,” or him being a “project.”

It was a good popcorn flick, but I’m more satiated by a stronger story and a better focus on character.

This film seemed rushed, it could have been well-served by an additional 15 minutes of decent exposition of Jane, the Greek Gods, Gor and Eternity.

1 Like

The movie was amazing. The start depicted the phase of life that every man goes through (loneliness and attribute to the lost love). Then comes our Mighty Thor… Stronger than before, mastering his abilities and his all-new Axe “Stormbreaker”. The movie starts with a mid-tone and then instantly upbeats where there are fighting scenes and thor raging his thunder all over the fight.

The movie goes on with a funny note when he meets Jane, first shocked as she gains powers. Eventually, they both fall in love ‘AGAIN’ and take their journey ahead together. There Comes The God Killer, trying to kill Thor for his Storm Breaker and Mjolnir. He gets a hold of them both eventually in the Space Where Color Dares To Enter (The Shadow Realm).

Jane Eventually Uses all her strength and power to defeat The God Killer and save the world, while Thor demises the death of his love. But Wait! Jane is in Valhalla! Trust Me I would not have even understood all of this, but after I read Thor: Love And Thunder Ending And Post-credits Scenes explaination, things were finally clear to me. And Honestly I loved The Movie.

It was a light and Upjoy movie, where thor now has a Daughter and Jane is Up There In Valhalla with Heimdal and Other Gods. Her Sacrifice dint go Waste!. Jane is a GOD!

1 Like

Finally got to see the movie yesterday. I got Covid the weekend it came out and with work and family just didn’t have a chance to get out and see it until now.

I’m a big comic book reader and I have always admired Marvel’s ability to adapt their characters and specific comic book storylines into movies. I have never had a problem with changes they’ve made before because these are adaptations and there are things they can and can’t do in a movie. And Marvel has been so successful that some of their movies have been better than the source material like Civil War.

But in this case while I enjoyed the movie it felt far short of the source material. Jason Aaron’s incredible run on Thor and the Mighty Thor that inspired the movie is such a long and deep storyline that examined the purposes of Gods in a comic book universe, re-examined Thor’s worthiness, and tested Jane Foster’s character in heart breaking ways.

The movie took some of the comic book plot points and slotted them in between constant gags. Fortunately a lot of the jokes were funny and the cast have incredible chemistry to keep the movie fun and light hearted. But not every character needed to be slapstick. They needed a straight man to keep the movie grounded. Jane Foster learning her powers would have been the natural fit for that role to play off Hemsworth. But instead she was cracking jokes at every opportunity. It didn’t feel true to what we remember of her character who was not all that funny (Darcy saved those first two Thor movies with her humor).

Last thought. Those goats were goddamned annoying. A one note-joke that didn’t need to be hit more than once.