Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr. Set for September 12th

Yeah I agree, Mike Tyson with Gus in the right state of mine would not lose to anybody that has ever lived.

1 Like

Anyone see this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur5F6gnK26k

Guy still has some serious issues, I canā€™t see how anyone can think that heā€™s not capable of going off on someone if he snaps. Just jump to 3:13 to see what Iā€™m talking about.

I just dont think he has the mental stability to be fighting for fun.

Here is George Foremans take:

Couple of thoughts here.

Tyson does not sniff anywhere near the top boxers or heavyweights of all time. He lost to all big names and most importantly, whenever he faced adversity in a fight, he crumbled. What he was though was the 2nd biggest star Heavyweight boxing had ever seen and there was a time where he was legitimately terrifying. Donā€™t get me wrong he had tremendous speed, head movement, power and ferocity but when we talk about all-time greats, heā€™ll make the hall of fame of course but Iā€™d put the following heavyweights ahead of him (not even thinking about other weight classes).

In no particular order:

Ali
Sonny Liston
Joe Frasier
Gorge Foreman
Lennox Lewis
Rocky Marciano
Tyson Fury
Evander Hollyfield
Riddick Bowe
Larry Holmes
Wladimir Klitschko
Vitali Klitschko

Regarding the safety of MMA vs Boxing, the general thinking is MMA is safer for a few of reasons, 1 being thereā€™s no mandatory 8 count, so if someone gets knocked down in MMA thereā€™s no opportunity for them to ā€œrecoverā€ and the ref is forced to step in. Also in boxing you canā€™t save yourself by clinching, the ref will separate you - see Conor vs Floyd. While highly unscientific, the death rate in Boxing is way higher than in MMA. The few MMA deaths that there have been have largely been attributed to weight cutting. Thatā€™s something that is safer in boxing, more weight classes and less weight cutting.

Also on the headgear, the headgear probably makes it less safe not more. Headgear is more around preventing cuts then preventing damage. Even if headgear reduces damage that doesnā€™t necessarily make it safer. Is it better to take 3 shots or 6 shots before being concussed?

2 Likes

Foreman said it himself. Itā€™s very dangerous. The guys need to know and understand the risks theyā€™re taking. I donā€™t think anyone believes this is a zero risk scenario.

But at the end of the day are YOU gonna tell two grown men what they can and canā€™t do with their bodies? Itā€™s possible these guys are facing some real economic hardships, and besides paid appearances and fighting, what discernible job skills has Roy Jones Jr. been developing over the past three decades? Sometimes guys just need to get paid.

I work next to a guy who is pushing 60 and has had lung issues. Weā€™re essential workers pushing through the pandemic. Heā€™s well aware that in an ideal world he would just spend 2020 hiding away so as not to risk contracting COVID and we could find someone to replace him temporarily. But heā€™s got a new car to pay for and a mortgage payment among other things so he comes into work every day despite the risks involved. For better or worse, sometimes other factors take precedence for people over the risks involved in a job.

No, of course not. I donā€™t like it, but I am a firm believer that if they want to do it, its not for me to stop them or say they canā€™t. But I do feel I can voice my concerns, its not coming from a bad place.

1 Like

Do I want to see itā€¦No,

Will I watch it coz Iā€™m a sucker who canā€™t help themselves out of curiosityā€¦of course I will!

I just hope theyā€™re both safe

1 Like