MLW FUSION REPORT: Filthy Tom Lawlor vs. Killer Kross

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/03/17/mlw-fusion-report-filthy-tom-lawlor-vs-killer-kross/

MLW Fusion #101

March 14th, 2020

2300 Arena, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

By: Davie Portman

Commentary Rich Bocchini and AJ Kirsch

The show opens with a recap of last week’s main event between Cima and MLW World Champion – Jacob Fatu. Fatu won with two moonsaults and after the match, Cima is put in a body bag and taken away by the Sentai Death Squad. The big question going into this week’s episode is “where is Cima?”

MLW World Middleweight Championship

Laredo Kid w/ Konnan vs Myron Reed (c) w/ Kotto Brazil and Jordan Oliver (Injustice)

Prior to the match, we have an interview with Konnan where he says that he believes Laredo Kid has a lot going for him and he is very focused on his career right now. Myron Reed gets into Konnan’s face and tells him that Kid can pin him as much as he wants after the bell but when the belt is on the line Reed will win every single time. Konnan calls him out for repeatedly using shortcuts to be number one, such as Injustice interfering and wearing a chest protector.

This is Myron Reed’s fourth title defense as MLW World Middleweight Champion.

Kidd sends Reed to the outside early on and attempts some chops to the chest however Reed is wearing the chest protector so Kid slaps him hard in the face. Back in the ring, Kid goes for a Deadlift German Suplex, however, Kotto Brazil from Injustice gets into the ring for the distraction. Reed follows up with a Slingshot Legdrop for a two count. Kidd comes back with a forearm followed by a Michinoku Driver and two-second rope Moonsaults for a two. There is a huge high spot in the match where Kid hits an Avalanche Dragon Sleeper Suplex whilst flipping on to his front for only a two count. Kid goes for the Muta Lock submission however both Kotto Brazil and Jordan Oliver from Injustice interfere. Kid takes them both out with Suicide Dives however gets caught with a Slingshot Ace Crusher on the apron. Reed rolls Kid into the ring and hits him with the No Cap Splash (Springboard 450 Splash) for the win.

Myron Reed defeats Laredo Kid via Pinfall in 8 mins 44 secs

Davie’s Thoughts: Really fun match to open the show. Myron Reed is a fun heel to watch as he relies on his stablemates heavily during his matches yet can still back it up in the ring by hitting some impressive moves. The Avalanche Dragon Sleeper Suplex was incredibly impressive, however quite scary to watch as Reed landed on his face. This drew a “Holy Sh*t” chant from the audience and rightfully so. I like the use of Konnan as Laredo Kid’s manager and the pre-match confrontation with Reed was entertaining with Reed more than holding his own with the Mexican Legend. This was my match of the night and a great introduction of these characters to someone who is not particularly familiar with MLW.

Lifestyles of the Rich and Dynastic

We then have a video segment aired by The Dynasty entitled “Lifestyles of the Rich and Dynastic”. Richard Holliday is telling Gino Medina and Alexander Hammerstone that he has asked his father/lawyer to get an injunction against Mance Warner to get him out of their hair. They then rechristen Gino “El Incotable” Medina as Gino “The Untouchable” Medina as the Spanish is too hard for them to pronounce. Gino Medina then cuts a promo where he says he is going to snap all of Mance Warner’s fingers off one by one.

Pagano Vignette

There is a cool looking vignette hyping up the debut of Pagano. We hear the classic Charlie Chaplin song “Smile” as there is clown makeup and shots of a deserted warehouse with chains and close-ups of Pagano in his clown-like makeup. Pagano is set to debut for MLW on April 18th in Chicago

Gino “El Incotable” Medina w/ Richard Holliday vs Mance Warner

Richard Holliday comes to the ring holding Savio Vega’s Caribbean Championship.

The match starts with the undefeated Medina jumping Warner before the bell. The match falls to the outside early on where they exchange chops and strikes. Back in the ring Medina rakes the eyes and kicks Warner in the head for a two count. Warner comes back with an Impaler DDT but only a two. The match ends where Medina attempts to roll up Warner by holding the tights however Warner reverses it and pulls the tights himself securing the win.

After the match, an enraged Gino Medina slaps the referee.

Mance Warner defeats Gino “El Incotable” Medin via Pinfall in 4 mins 59 secs

Davie’s Thoughts: I enjoyed what I saw from The Dynasty in their pre-match video and this feud seems to be building up to a match between Richard Holliday and Mance Warner. The match didn’t do a whole lot for me and didn’t really have enough time to get going. Having Warner win using the tights gives The Dynasty an excuse to complain about the loss and could lead to some more fun episodes of “Lifestyles of the Rich and Dynastic”.

Breaking News

Colonel Robert Parker secures the 2020 manager license in MLW and is looking to bring in new talent to MLW. Who will be next to sign his Stud Stable?

Von Erich’s Video

Marshall and Ross Von Erich are sat in their garden with their father, Kevin Von Erich. They cut a promo where they are saying that they had been warned that holding the MLW World Tag Team Titles has put a target on their back and can turn friends into enemies. This is what has happened with Tom Lawlor and Team Filthy and they owe it to Texas to “kick these coward’s butts”. They say that this is the war between “Decency and Filth”. This was a fun promo, which was delivered well however the production quality was poor. There was a lot of sound issues with the wind due to it being shot outside. This surprised me as I thought the quality of the vignettes and video packages were very professional for the rest of the show.

Pro Wrestling Illustrated presents Top 10 Contenders for MLW World Championship

10. King Mo
9. Low Ki
8. Mance Warner
7. MJF
6. Richard Holliday
5. Brian Pillman Jr.
4. ‘Filthy’ Tom Lawlor
3. Davey Boy Smith Jr.
2. Myron Reed
1. Alex Hammerstone

Pro Wrestling Illustrated present Brian Pillman Jr. with Rookie of the Year Award

Brian Pillman Jr. comes out to accept his second “Rookie of the Year Award” from PWI. He thanks previous winners including the likes of Randy Orton, Kurt Angle, and his father’s friend – “Stone Cold” Steve Austin. He says that it was an honor to receive this award and step out of his father’s shadow. He is now hungry for a shot at the MLW Middleweight Title, hungry for another year as “Rookie of the Year” but most of all he’s hungry for a Philly Cheesesteak! He gets a great reaction from the crowd as he thanks them and leaves.

Injustice calls out Brian Pillman Jr

Backstage an angry Kotto Brazil says that this year Jordan Oliver should have won “Rookie of the Year” and last year should have been him and that the only reason Pillman Jr won the award was because of who his father is. Myron Reed says that he is sick of white privilege and that Pillman needs to drop to 205lbd and then come find him. He says that he will wrestle circles around him. Reed then calls out Konnan, telling him to keep sending his men. “Line ’em up and I’m knocking em down”. Oliver finishes the promo by saying that Laredo Kid is about to lose his mask and that is an “Injustice”.

I thought all three guys here delivered their promos really well. I got that they are three guys with chips on their shoulders who believe in themselves and are tired of being overlooked and I’m excited to see these feuds with Pillman and Konnan continue.

Team Filthy Interview

Erick Stevens is complaining about his loss last week to Davey Boy Smith Jr. He tells Tom Lawlor to get in contact with his friends at the Pennsylvania State Commission as that was the fastest three count ever. Lawlor then cuts a promo on Killer Kross saying that he may be the “hottest free agent” but Lawlor will show everyone the difference between someone who pretends to be an MMA fighter and someone who “lives, eats, breathes and dies it.”

Great promo from Filthy Tom Lawlor. This got me excited for the main event that MLW was billing as a “Dream Match”.

The Dynasty

Dynasty is backstage. Richard Holliday says that he is going to get in touch with his lawyer/father as Mance Warner was drunk and cheated in his match against Gino Medina.

Contra Unit

We see a video sent in by Josef Samael from the Contra Unit. He puts the bodybag containing Cima into the back of a car and orders the driver to take it to Ikuro Kwon.

Next week Richard Holliday vs Mance Warner’s Mystery Opponent

MAIN EVENT

Filthy Tom Lawlor with Team Filthy vs Killer Kross

There is a Back Suplex early on from Kross to Lawlor. Lawlor comes back with a rake to the eyes and a Spinning Heel Kick. He follows up with a guillotine attempting to put Kross to sleep. Kross reverses this into a really impressive looking Release Northern Lights Suplex. Lawlor counters Doomsday and fires back with Palm Strikes and Uppercuts. Lawlor follows up with a Flying Knee but only a two count. There is a Thumb to the Eye of Kross but it doesn’t phase him as he comes straight back with a Kross Jacket. They both fall to the outside of the ring and Erick Stephens runs out and attacks Killer Kross causing a DQ.

Killer Kross defeats Filthy Tom Lawlor via DQ in 10 mins 52 secs

After the match, the rest of Team Filthy come out to beat down Killer Kross. Davey Boy Smith Jr and the Von Erich’s run out to even the odds. The show ends with Davey Boy Smith Jr issuing a challenge to Team Filthy of an 8-Man Tag Match.

Davie’s Thoughts: For something that was billed as a “Dream Match” I didn’t feel this match lived up to the hype. It’s very clear that both these guys are very over with the MLW fans and they popped loud when Davey Boy Smith Jr made the challenge at the end of the show but the match itself never made it to that next gear. The reversal of the Guillotine into the Northern Lights Suplex was very impressive but I was expecting more of an MMA style to be showcased by both men. As it looks like this feud is going to continue maybe we will see these two go at it again and get given more time but with Killer Kross going to WWE I feel that the 8-Man Tag Match could be the blow-off.

Overall, MLW Fusion is a fun-filled hour of TV and very easy to watch. They have some really strong wrestlers in the company but what impresses me the most is the attention to character. Every person on this show seemed to have a really defined character and made them memorable to me. There is so much wrestling content out there to consume that I feel a show like MLW doesn’t get enough attention. However, over the next few weeks when we are being given empty arena shows and a lot of us are on lockdown, giving MLW a go could be a nice little refreshment to your wrestling viewing habits!

1 Like

I attended this taping back in February (it was a long taping with no intermission), but I can confirm that the 8-man tag is the last we see of Killer Kross in MLW. A couple days after this taping happened, WWE Backstage announced he has signed. They also announced at the start of this episode of Fusion that Kross has already signed with WWE.