Movie discussion

Can be any type of discussion, movie review or news…I’ll start.

Marvel’s BLACK WIDOW Movie in the Works With Jac Schaeffer Writing

[​IMG]

Marvel is finally pushing ahead with the highly anticipated “Black Widow” standalone movie starring Scarlett Johansson, with Jac Schaeffer penning the script.

Sources say this is still very early development, as the film has no greenlight, but naming a writer is the closest the studio has come to moving forward on a standalone pic. Marvel President Kevin Feige met with several candidates before tapping Schaeffer, and Marvel execs met with Johansson to discuss what they wanted from a “Black Widow” writer.

Schaeffer is an up and coming scribe who broke out with her Black List script “The Shower,” a comedy about an alien invasion during a baby shower which caught the eye of Anne Hathaway, who quickly attached herself to star in the pic.

Hathaway was so impressed with her work that she soon tapped Schaeffer to write “Nasty Women,” a new female-centric take on “Dirty Rotten Scoundrels” that also stars Hathaway.

Fans of the character have been pushing for her to get own movie since she first appeared in “Iron Man 2” and with the latest phase of Marvel films coming to a close, Marvel saw this as the best time to move forward with the project.

Johansson has appeared as the character in six films, the next one being this summer’s “Avengers: Infinity War.”

4 years too late…Marvel looked stupid when Lucy became a hit, had the writers who wrote Atomic Blonde and there is another movie coming out called Red Sparrow that is pretty much this characters origin story.

2 Likes

It’s definitely way late but it’ll make money regardless and be enjoyable (for me at least) because that’s what Marvel does. At this point though I do wonder why they haven’t tried to sell Johansson on the idea of a Netflix mini-series for the character. She’s got an origin story that lends itself to a deep dive like that and it would give them a chance to prepare for when Scarlett no longer wants to play the character and they can then go to a younger actress for stories earlier in the life of Natasha Romanoff.

1 Like

Definitely would’ve helped launch Disneys new streaming platform after they pull all their stuff off Netflix.

The buzz about the writer has me interested in the Black Widow movie, whether they attempt some early stuff that put the red on her ledger (not sure how well her origin stuff was received in Age of Ultron), or have her do her own thing separate from the Avengers, like a female Jason Bourne, possibly with the inclusion of other, smaller Marvel characters they dig up.

For anyone who’s been able to see a lot or just a few movies, what’s been your favorite from 2017?

Mine is Get Out. I didn’t see it when it came out in Februrary because I don’t seek out a lot of scary (or purportedly scary) movies. I thankfully stayed in the dark about it. Then I caught it when it came to HBO a couple months ago and came away enjoying it greatly. I thought it really builds the tension and mystery, like something Hitchcock would have done. Even if it didn’t have the social commentary subtext (which I thought was really well done), I still would have found it a very well-made, effective thriller.

Logan was my top movie of 2017.

Perfect way to end the character and the Xavier arc was heartbreaking.

I think my favourite 2017 release was The Big Sick. I didn’t even get to the cinema to see it (which I wanted to) but I utterly adored it when I watched it recently; sweet and heart-warming, I found it very funny and the fact that it was based on the true story of it’s lead and his real life wife just made it feel all the touching to me.

1 Like

Nice. I enjoyed both of those very much and would have them in my Top 10 of the year among the movies I’ve seen. I bought Logan on Blu Ray and it still holds up very well.

1 Like

Big Sick was also my movie of the year. Had me laughing and crying, then crying and laughing throughout.

1 Like

First post, I liked a handful of movies that I really enjoyed but I highly recommend one that flew under the radar.

“The Jungle” a true story starring the Radcliffe and some friends , based on a true story. Healed into the jungle by a man claiming he can get them to a village no one has visited deep in the jungle. Can the guide be trusted? How well do you really know someone in a survival situation?

I enjoyed this movie, stunning cinematography, great writing and superb acting. Hope one of you ring rats check it out!

1 Like

Same man. Even with the knowledge going in of the real life story and how it worked out, I still managed to invest in all of the up and downs. Great film.

I’m a huge mark for Daniel Radcliffe. It’s on my list of films to check out for that reason alone.

1 Like

Beloved WWE wrestler and burgeoning actor John Cena may star in the titular role of a Duke Nukem movie adaptation, according to a report from The Hollywood Reporter. Cena is said to be in negotiations to star as loudmouthed action hero amalgam Duke Nukem in the project.

Paramount picked up the rights to the Duke Nukem franchise with Platinum Dunes, Michael Bay’s production company, set to produce. Platinum Dunes is responsible for lower budget horror series like The Purge and Ouija, as well as remakes of A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Unless this is total satire like a Demolition Man
…movie would be considered extremely tone deaf in today’s social climate.

Academy Awards 2018: Complete List of Oscar Nominations

Production Design:
Beauty and the Beast
Blade Runner 2049
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
The Shape of Water

Cinematography:
Blade Runner 2049 (Roger Deakins)
Darkest Hour (Bruno Delbonnel)
Dunkirk (Hoyte van Hoytema)
Mudbound (Rachel Morrison)
The Shape of Water (Dan Laustsen)

Costume Design:
Beauty and the Beast (Jacqueline Durran)
Darkest Hour (Jacqueline Durran)
Phantom Thread (Mark Bridges)
The Shape of Water (Luis Sequeira)
Victoria & Abdul (Consolata Boyle)

Sound Editing:
Baby Driver
Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
The Shape of Water
Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Sound Mixing:
Baby Driver
Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
The Shape of Water

Animated Short Film:
Dear Basketball
Garden Party
Lou
Negative Space
Revolting Rhymes

Live Action Short Film:
DeKalb Elementary
The Eleven O’Clock
My Nephew Emmett
The Silent Child
Watu Wote/All of Us

Original Score:
Dunkirk (Hans Zimmer)
Phantom Thread (Jonny Greenwood)
The Shape of Water (Alexandre Desplat)
Star Wars: The Last Jedi (John Williams)
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (Carter Burwell)

Visual Effects:
Blade Runner 2049
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Kong: Skull Island
War for the Planet of the Apes

Film Editing:
Baby Driver (Jonathan Amos & Paul Machliss)
Dunkirk (Lee Smith)
I, Tonya (Tatiana S. Riegel)
The Shape of Water (Sidney Wolinsky)
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (Jon Gregory)

Makeup and Hairstyling:
Darkest Hour
Victoria & Abdul
Wonder

Actress in a Supporting Role:
Mary J. Blige, Mudbound
Allison Janney, I, Tonya
Lesley Manville, Phantom Thread
Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird
Octavia Spencer, The Shape of Water

Actor in a Supporting Role:
Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project
Woody Harrelson, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water
Christopher Plummer, All the Money in the World
Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Foreign Language Film
A Fantastic Woman
The Insult
Loveless
On Body and Soul
The Square

Original Song:
“Mighty River” (Mudbound)
“The Mystery of Love” (Call Me by Your Name)
“Remember Me” (Coco)
“Stand Up for Something” (Marshall)
“This Is Me” (The Greatest Showman)

Animated Feature Film:
The Boss Baby
The Breadwinner
Coco
Ferdinand
Loving Vincent

Adapted Screenplay:
Call Me by Your Name (James Ivory)
The Disaster Artist (Scott Neustadter & Michael H. Weber)
Logan
Molly’s Game (Aaron Sorkin)
Mudbound (Dee Rees & Virgil Williams)

Original Screenplay:
The Big Sick (Emily V. Gordon & Kumail Nanjiani)
Get Out (Jordan Peele)
Lady Bird (Greta Gerwig)
The Shape of Water (Guillermo del Toro & Vanessa Taylor)
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (Martin McDonagh)

Actor in a Leading Role:
Timothee Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name
Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread
Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out
Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour
Denzel Washington, Roman J. Israel, Esq.

Actress in a Leading Role:
Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water
Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Margot Robbie, I, Tonya
Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird
Meryl Streep, The Post

Directing:
Paul Thomas Anderson, Phantom Thread
Guillermo del Toro, The Shape of Water
Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird
Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk
Jordan Peele, Get Out

Best Picture:
Call Me by Your Name
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
Get Out
Lady Bird
Phantom Thread
The Post
The Shape of Water
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Only real snub is Lego Batman…I mean The Boss Baby??? Really!!!

Also a Cena movie is already academy awards nominated…GOATs doing GOAT shit.

Michael Bay, tone deaf to modern sensibilities? Surely not. :rofl:

Done right, it could be a lot of fun… but you’re not wrong, they have to make sure the tone is just right for it to work. I doubt it’ll be outright offensive if they get it wrong, but it won’t do anyone involved in it any favours if it’s just tits and ass all over the show.

Michael Bay only directed the last two Transformer movies and been mainly an executive producer.

Okay… not to sound blunt but, what’s your point?

Never did anything in THIS social climate.

The last Transformer’s film was less than a year ago, no? This current social climate isn’t something that happened over night, it’s been a prevalent part of life for several years which has facilitated an environment where people can be actively called out for their bullshit and made to answer for it. Bay has done stuff in this climate, for sure… I just don’t know how it was received because even as someone who’s a fan of some of his film, I didn’t bother with it.

Seems to have ramped up significantly over the past year…Last major scandal Michael Bay had was stereotype robots speaking in ebonics.

Thar may as well be a lifetime ago in this ADHD news cycle.

You’re forgetting his treatment of Megan Fox and her being fired off Transformers 3 for saying he was like Hitler on a movie set; but yeah, that was several years ago and they seem to have mended fences enough for her to be willing to work on movies he’s producing and for him to be willing to let her.

This honestly makes me more excited than any Marvel movie or Incredible sequel.