My experience receiving the 1st dose of covid-19 vaccine

I think one reason there is such vitriol when it comes to not taking the vaccine, at least for me is, not listening to experts is why we are in the position we are in now. Other vaccines could probably be done in a quick time too if they got the insane financial backing that this one did. Vaccines have always had risks but the idea is the risk is worth the reward, especially when the risk is pretty slight.

2020 has shown that people just believe what they want. I’ve ranted about people at my work believing masks might make things worse. People in the US believe the election was stolen, despite the numerous experts saying otherwise, be they people counting the votes, over seeing the process, judges looking at the lawsuits, etc.

I’m now at the point where I need credentials if you have a contradictory opinion on a major topic. The experts who worked to develop this know better. End of story.

3 Likes

What bubble? You literally had a player test positive, somehow mid game and then run back on the field to celebrate after getting pulled. That part was a joke right?

1 Like

The vaccine has not been rushed. Countries put a TON of money into the research because it was urgent. What’s making the process of finding and developing a vaccine slow and long is usually the lack of funds.

4 Likes

I was using baseball as a random example of a sporting event you won’t be welcome at. You are correct MLB didn’t have the bubble, which is a decision they’ve probably come to regret given how stupid it made them look. Players DID have extra restrictions put on them, however, and were held especially accountable after the initial outbreak with the Miami Marlins early in the season. By and large MLB completely whiffed on how they handled COVID.

But I will amend that statement. The NBA was a bubble league, so we can use that example of pro athletes chomping at the bit to get vaccinated and out of the bubble.

The vaccine has been rushed. That is okay as far as developing the candidate vaccine. It’s not okay as far as being able to establish potential side effects beyond the period at which point you start administering the vaccine, as unless you can time travel, that cannot be established and a few months is nowhere near a reasonable period to establish if it causes side effects.

The time frame of clinical trials was exactly the same as any other drugs. Just so you understand. The trials remained the exact same as usual.

The process around the trials was done differently than usual, so that it didn’t take thirty days for back and forth between sponsors and regulatory boards. A new submission didn’t have to be refilled every time new questions were brought up, or additional data was requested. They were “rolling” submissions, in an effort to make best use of the time and energy going into all of this.

The trials themselves were not rushed.

And like any drug, there will be reports if adverse reactions, that will be taken into account and sponsors will have to do their due diligence as a result.

What do you not understand? You cannot evaluate the side effects of a drug over a period that is greater than the period that has existed since the drugs use.

Ridiculous statement. So the majority should put themselves at risk for the tiny minority who are at risk of serious complications? Gtfoh.

Ok then. Whose interest are you acting in by not getting vaccinated? Who does this benefit, besides yourself? I’m having trouble visualizing how society benefits by NOT vaccinating.

2 Likes

Cheers for the detail Tony - I hate injections so good to hear it was painless.

I will be getting the vaccine - for anyone who says “you dont know what you’re putting in your body” - I have far more confidence in a vaccination created to save lives than processed foods, cigarettes, and that cocaine and pills I bought off the dubious looking drug dealer in the local pub.
The difference is - by taking the vaccine I can hopefully avoid killing my grandmother.

And for anyone saying it was rushed and they cut corners - they didnt. They cut the delays and did testing at consecutive stages to save time. Nothing was missed.

Long term side effects is a valid issue. But at what point is it long term enough? “Its only been 5 years - I’m not convinced we know the true effects”

Anti vaxx only became an issue when that idiot claimed MMR caused autism. He caused a spike in measles with his scaremongering. Before that people trusted scientists

I want normality. I will take it and my family will too.

3 Likes

To put it simply - Yes.

1 Like

Well this went off the rails really quickly. Its nice that both Dr. Patel and Dr. Bdubz have shared their thoughts on the matter.

4 Likes

No need to be a d£&k. I don’t claim to be an expert and neither does Alex. That some people are incapable of acknowledging facts and are so arrogant as to think their opinion is the only valid one is not my fault.

My apologies doctor.

3 Likes

This is not pointed at anyone but in the general sense of online forum arguments, this thread has made me feel so much dumber over the course of the day. And I’m guilty of interacting.

1 Like

I’ll be taking the vaccine

Yours truly

Brandonfrmnj

3 Likes

I wanted to bring something else up, and this is more of a personal anecdote. So, I have psoriatic arthritis. It’s pretty similar to rheumatoid arthritis but my psorasis, the skin part, effects mostly my scalp and only that so that’s the main reason why I have that specifically. It messes with your joints. At first, I was having issues with my feet. Due to my work, I was on my feet all day. I went to a doctor and at 23 I found out what I had. I was on a bunch of pills for it, about 12 a day for the arthritis itself and the pain I was in. At work, I would get people to get me Tylonal 3s and one person got me some perks but they didn’t do much. People party with them a lot I guess.

Anyway, at a certain point, I had the morning stiffness (not the good kind) and what I liked to call the frankenstien walk. With all the pills I was taking, it was ok in the summer, but once winter hit, I was fucked. In late 2012, I started taking this new medication called Simponi. It’s an injectable that I take once a month from the Bioscript company. It’s really expensive too. If I was American, I’d be in a wheel chair. It’s 1700 a pop but I pay a $50 copay and the rest is paid for my Nova Scotia Pharmacare and the Carpenter’s Union that I’m apart of. Now, there are a bunch of potential side effects with this medication that I haven’t had to deal with. However, this medication has made me immunocompromised.

So, of course with COVID-19, I am particularly in danger with it and after all the important people get it, I’m going to be one of the first non elderly non health care workers to get it, or at least I’m going to try to. Now of course, if I didn’t take my medication, I wouldn’t be immunocompromised, but even if that’s the price I have to pay to walk, god damn pal I’ll take it. Even if I had some of the smaller side effects of the medication that I’m taking, the risk is worth the reward. The reward is, I can walk. The reward is, I’m not in constant pain anymore. I was considering getting my foot amputated so I wouldn’t have to feel that constant pain when I walked. Now this isn’t a vaccine, but the point is, unless you are one of the people who can’t take the vaccine due to allergies, please take it. It wasn’t rushed. If it was rushed, it would have came out when they reported it at 94% successful.

4 Likes

Its kind of disgusting that people are jumping on @Bdubz, when his concerns are perfectly valid and I dont think he’d be getting attacked so much, if not for his other views that he shares. I do not exactly get along with him myself. We have differing views in other topics, but he is not wrong in how he feels here.

Do I think it has been rushed? Yes and no. I think it had to be rushed, but I believe they know what they are doing. I do generally believe the vaccine will be ok and there will only be side effects for a small percentage. But there is no way of knowing long term effects, unless it is tested for a longer period of time.

I’m not willing to risk the chance yet, until more time is passed and I can make a better judgement. As I’ve said, I do believe that I will have to eventually take it anyway, due to being an avid traveler. I dont think I will have a choice. But none of us are time travelers. Scientists and doctors are not time travelers. They cannot know if there will be long term effects in the future, unless it is tested for that amount of time.

That is all @Bdubz is saying and he is absolutely correct in saying so.

5 Likes

I can’t speak for everyone, but I don’t care what his or anyone’s views are (and I don’t mean that in a disrespectful way) and I’m ok with him or anyone sharing how they feel as this is a message board and its kind of the entire point. Its the condescending tone that led to my joke.

1 Like