New Japan announces full card for Fighting Spirit Unleashed

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2018/09/25/new-japan-announces-full-card-for-fighting-spirit-unleashed/

New Japan Pro Wrestling has released the full card for this Sunday’s Fighting Spirit Unleashed card from the Walter Pyramid in Long Beach, California.

The card will air live this Sunday at 8 pm Eastern on New Japan World with Jim Ross and Kevin Kelly calling the event. It will replay on AXS TV on Friday, October 5th.

Below is the full card:

*Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi vs. Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii
*Juice Robinson vs. Cody for the IWGP United States title
*The Young Bucks vs. Guerrillas of Destiny for the IWGP tag titles
*Will Ospreay vs. Marty Scurll in the IWGP junior heavyweight title tournament – the winner will face KUSHIDA on October 8th
*Hiroshi Tanahashi & KUSHIDA vs. Jay White & Gedo
*Killer Elite Squad & Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Tetsuya Naito, EVIL & Sanada
*Hirooki Goto & Chuckie T. & Beretta vs. Flip Gordon, Jeff Cobb & Chris Sabin
*Christopher Daniels & Frankie Kazarian vs. Hangman Page & Chase Owens
*Roppongi 3K & Rocky Romero vs. Jushin Thunder Liger, ACH & Ryusuke Taguchi

2 Likes

I’m a bit bummed that the one North American NJPW show I’ll have been able to go to doesn’t have the buzz the others have had, but I’m still looking forward to this, and hell, I’d been starting to worry about whether I’d ever be able to see Liger wrestle in person before he retired. Would have been nice to have at least one of Omega, Ibushi, Okada, and Ishii in a singles match, but I’m sure that’ll be a great tag match. Also, no Suzuki. :frowning: Guess being able to yell “Kaze Ni Nare” as part of a live crowd stays on the wrestling bucket list.

Ishii/Okada vs Golden Lovers legit surprise looking forward to it

1 Like

Damn, that appears on paper like it could be an amazing card to watch on the weekend.

Just heard that Ospreay may be in line to dethrone Jericho for the IC title… Ospreay to defeat Scurll and KUSHIDA defeats Ospreay for the vacant title… Juice retains while the Bucks drop the titles this coming Sunday

wait, where’s suzuki? I bought tickets for this show hoping I could see kenny defend the belt, what incentive do I have to buy tickets to a US show, knowing kenny is the unofficial the US ambassador, to not see him actually defend the title? this show, which didn’t sell out, could’ve really benefited from some last minute main-event-caliber matches to help it fill those extra seats, but we’re treated to a house show sold at ppv ticket prices.

I really hope this will slightly pump up thee ticket sales by Saturday. I think there shouldn’t be any more U.S shows before the MSG show.

1 Like

I don’ get it. NJPW was a million useless tag matches with no consequence or story line. What’s even the point of the main event other than ‘good wrestling’? Seems like what they do with 205 Live.

Main card is weak - no IC or Heavyweight title shots and a lot of filler matches.

1 Like

It’s a much better looking card then it was a day ago. Think it could have felt bigger if they announced it earlier and built a bit more.

A lot of comments regarding the ‘weak’ undercard and a lack of big singles matches and storyline progression. Not just here but on Twitter and else where too.

This is what New Japan does, guys. Their house shows, C-Shows and even some B-Shows are made up of lots of multi-man tags, little-to-no title defenses and you’ll rarely get a singles match. You wanted an authentic New Japan show? Well, you’re getting them.