NJPW G1 Climax Night 1: Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi

It fits about 16k-18k

New Japan is far from being “the little guy”.

In the wrestling industry everyone not the WWE is a little guy especially in the states. If we were talking about Japan you might have a point, but New Japan doesn’t have a TV product in the states and is only followed by hardcore wrestling fans many casual fans have likely never seen a show. You are talking about a promotion full of mostly Japanese talent with little English speaking skill. Sorry they are by far a little guy compared to WWE. NJPW yearly revenue is ~$44 million, WWE is ~$800 million. So NJPW is a company 5% the size of WWE.

Huh? What the hell was Mark Cuban airing it on then?

You mean the G1? That is hardly a weekly TV program.

Yeah, AXS TV isn’t a show at all.

But you moved the goal post to make it “weekly” tv programming…which it still is.

But then you’ll change it to episodic tv.

Are you talking about just the G1? Sure that is Being Aires. Totally in the same ball park as WWE TV though sure. Nice that you skipped everything else about how they are totally a small guy compared to the WWE behemoth. Whatever floats your boat I guess. Also when we are talking about the attendance for the product being aired that TV program isn’t something that is going to impact said attendance. So where was the TV before last weekend? Building it up for attendance.

I think he means compared to the WWE. Everyone is the little guy next to them

Naw, he just arguing semantics and then trying to change the entire point I originally made…classic defection tactics.

You originally said that if WWE drew what NJPW drew people would herald their death. I pointed out that it was a bad comparison because of the difference in the 2 companies. But sure I’m arguing semantics because a company 1/20th the size of WWE, presenting. In a foreign country did not draw all that great. Sorry Mr. WWE homer that I keep a neutral perspective. The Dallas G1 draw wasn’t great, but also no reason for concern. Just like Stomping Grounds poor attendance for WWE isn’t a sign of their impending doom. Which if you read back is what I said.

Then went on to say the NJPW is the little guy, which compared to WWE they are, by a lot, especially in the US, probably more so in places like Dallas.

Attendance on one show overseas…if the WWE did the same, it would be met with Doom and gloom and “fire this guy” and “step down old man this” would all the topics…to pretend it wouldn’t be otherwise is either haivete or flat out lying to yourself…then you try changing the dynamics…face it…NJPW was the company the had the most buzz before AEW and just goes to show you how much the buzz in the rasslin bubble…actually is.

Take notes AEW

I don’t pretend that those topics wouldn’t exist but they are from the same bubble as they hype. Neither are grounded in reality. Most people I heard review the G1 commented on poor attendance being a negative. But as you said buzz for all the other companies is among hardcore fans not the general public. WWE is pro-wrestling to a majority of “fans” at least in the US. It remains to be seen if anyone will make a dent in that perception like WCW did, IMO based on the AEW shows I have seen thus far the answer is not any time soon.

Heck the passion of “fire this guy.” Alone shows how much WWE is #1. Lots more critics when you are on top.

Is it that hard to just have consistency when it comes to all companies? If there is a set of rules made for others…you can’t shift up the rules for another.

It’s just that simple.

My first statement was just me showing the hypocrisy of the mindset of rasslin fans.

There shouldn’t be consistent expectations of different size companies, with different experience levels, and different amounts of money. The in ring and story telling is the only thing that should have the same expectations. Not things like ticket sales. Let’s put it this way if WWE sold only 5k seats in that arena it would be a much bigger deal given their track record, than a similar result from NJPW or AEW at this point in time. Your argument is like saying we should have the same ticket sales expectations for Ohio State Football, and (to pick my Alma-mater) Muhlenberg College Football. Muhlenberg could play a more exciting game but they aren’t going to sell more tickets. I have the same expectations in the ring but not beyond that (yet) and that is reflected in my views of AEW so far

If they’re supposed to be major companies…the rules should be the same.

Are you saying New Japan is an indie?

I’m saying WWE is their own league, Then there is a tier below (significantly) of NJPW, AEW, Impact, ROH, MLW, then below that are the indies. It is like NCAA D1, D1-AA and D 2.

Better not say AEW are bush league…you’ll be labelled a hater because you don’t think they’re already WCW 96.

No I don’t. I wouldn’t say bush leave just not top tier. So in a wrestling analogy
WWE is the main event
AEW, NJPW etc is the mid card
indies are the under card (including the 24/7 title.)