NJPW G1 Special 2018 LIVE Discussion

I read that Ibushi was severely dehydrated from maybe the flu and wanted to be recovered by the G-1. Btw, the end answered my wondering of why G.O.D. wasn’t All-In.

2 Likes

I am blown away at how much shit JR and Barnett talked about the product they just got paid to call. I felt bad for being critical of JR last go around but this should be the end of it.

Kenny and Cody may have both suffered real harm there. Kenny couldn’t walk to the back without that chair as a crutch and Cody looked knocked out when the table didn’t break. Brandi was nearly crying over it. If that was all selling then god bless them. It wasn’t pretty.

1 Like

What do you think is the end-game with the Tongans and probably Fale feuding with the rest of the BC? Maybe they’ll have Ibushi being behind the turn.

1 Like

Judging by the number of negative feedback again for the AXS English commentary looks like I made the right call by choosing the Japanese commentary.

AXS should never be in charge of a NJPW English broadcast again. I’m sorry but after what can only be described as “WWE Commentator style B.S.” during the White-Robinson match, this was embarrassing as a NJPW fan.

After three previous live shows and the few years they have been “calling” NJPW together they come across as knowing next to nothing, without repeating what was already stated by others above, even the “intermission” break with them previewing the remaining matches just sounded like them talking just because the camera was live.

I understand for most Jim Ross is the wrestling voice of a generation, and don’t want to knock the English team but its a clear night & day difference from “Kelly & Callis” to “Ross & Barnett”.

Also at least when the commentator’s get involved in NJPW their normally wrestling joining the commentary team for that match or night (or have a on screen relationship e.g. Omega & Callis) Barnett just left me head scratching! (How was it explained on the English commentary).

2 Likes

I just noted in the feedback thread for Wai’s review that a two man beatsiwn with an elder Haku was really far fetched. For this big an angle they couldn’t have had Fale and Bone Soldier there? Felt weak as far as a turn goes. I would have otherwise suspected this separated the BTE group and the Bullet Club but Yujiro and Owens seem oddly stuck in with the BTE side.
The entire thing was weird but maybe that’s because I’m annoyed at how the show was called by JR and Barnett. They absolutely did nothing for context to make the angle or story. Nothing about Tama being an Original. They seemed so unprepared. I’m frustrated that New Japan and Axs can’t figure this out.

1 Like

@Chris_Thunder glad you picked up on so much of what I felt as well. How can they call this product for this long and not know the signature moves or finishers of seemingly anyone. Barnett routinely said a name seconds later as if somebody put it in his ear piece.

The comparison is difficult bc or how great and engrained Kevin Kelly is on World but this is doing nobody, including JRs legacy and reputation now, any favors. Tonight’s off the rails commentary for the final hour should be enough for Axs (or JR himself) to finally say enough.

3 Likes

Cody grabbing the Omega towel on the ramp was a nice improv touch

@MJfromNJ (FEEDBACK: NJPW G1 Special in San Francisco)

If they were going to run that big an angle why wasn’t Fale there?

As far as I know Fale was still in New Zealand running both “Fale Dojo” & “Silver Lion Apparel” events over the past weekend.

1 Like

The english commentary for the turn at the end was complete and utter shit. No emotion, no passion, no real knowledge of the history and formation of the Bullet Club. JR sounded like he was on valium and falling asleep.

Where was the JR that lost his shit at the end of WM17 when Austin teamed up with Vince. Took me completely out of the angle as JR was just so casual about it. I imagine if Orange Cassisdy were ever to do commentary, that’s what it would sounds like. ]

2 Likes

Jim Ross is fucking terrible now. He needs to just retire from broadcasting and stick to being a podcaster, because he’s not doing his legacy any favors. From not knowing the names to any moves, to calling wrestlers by the wrong name and this is every time there is a show now. The biggest thing for me was the unprofessionalism. I’m pretty sure the spot with JR falling off his chair and then Barnett going into the ring was planned, but then to completely shit on the product and the officiating and stuff was uncalled for. I dont really get it. He blatantly seemed like he was trying to sabotage the company.

And even worse, sounds like Hiromu has a broken neck. Not a good look for this show at all.

1 Like

This is a great point. And I had on the AXS marathon throughout the day and it’s not like he’s so great on the tapes commentary either. I keep saying the comparison is unfair because of what Kevin Kelly has been willing to do for the gig but JR has been inexcusable now for 4 live shows straight on AXS.

Some noticeable quotes that stuck out during the Kenny/Cody match (paraphrasing here)

• none of these guard rails are tied down whoever did it should be fired
  • getting on red shoes repeatedly for allowing TLC equipment and not in a explanatory way but a critical one: “believe it or not wrestling does have rules”
  • “this is not the strong style I remember. If they want to say it is evolved, well I guess I’ll believe them” - this was absolutely stung and as a New Japan fan who has invested in the product and wants to see it expand this was as damning a statement as possible. This wasn’t a guy who is selling an audience on a different style of wrestling this was someone providing his negative opinion that this isn’t what he thought the product was
  • mocking the count of the official when it was started (in contrast of Kelly and Callis always xolaining liberal use of counts out of respect to competitors and match situation)
  • “this is the longest sign off” during the closing segment. One of the biggest angles of the year and he’s just begging to close the show and sign off.

Seriously, and I do want to restate that I grew up on JR and always considered him great - Fuck this guy. And I have no problem putting this out there: if he is not going to put in the work to learn as much about the product as possible and he’s going to keep showing up to collect a check and mail it in then he has lost all credibility with me. He also seems pretty hard up for money if he’s continuing this gig despite being as dismissive and disinterested in the show as possible.

I’m surprised with guys like Kenny on the roster that the talent doesn’t listen back and express dissatisfaction as well. I mean he literally called Juice Jay White while he was celebrating in the ring. The lasting impression of Juice big title win before leaving the show was him on the turnbuckle and Ross saying “Jay White your new United States Champion”n

1 Like

The company should have JR just do the callbacks and voiceovers for older NJPW events on AXS. At least it would give the company time to edit. On a side note, I just rewatched the event in Japanese. The show was a lot better, even though I only know some Japanese words here-and-there. The excitement and urgency in the commentary’s tone is awesome. Super shitty to hear about Hiromu. I can’t believe he took a nasty powerbomb, did a Canadian Destroyer, and performed a Time Bomb, after-the-fact. And he walked out on his own.

3 Likes

Seeing the report about Hiromu now. I thought there were two spots he came down really hard. Really sad if he’s seriously injured as he’s been giving his body for the past 2 months it feels. The spot where he and Ishimori toppled down the stairs in the BOSJ final was wild. And the Dragon Lee match in the tournament was no picnic. He’s been a standout of 2018 after a great 2017. Hope it’s not career ending

2 Likes

I was at the show, so I’m glad I didn’t get to hear any of the english commentary. One of my friends watching at home said JR and Barnett were just joking around throughout the show.

The place wasn’t close to being sold out, with so many empty seats up off the floor. The crowd was loud, though.

This was one of the best pure wrestling events I’ve been to, and I can’t wait to watch it again… though with the sound turned down.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if it was already mentioned, but this was Dragon Lee’s 4th match within a 24-hour period. He won a tournament on Saturday.

1 Like

That alone is unsafe

1 Like

I remember after the 2017 G1 Special night one a lot of talent was very vocal about their displeasure with the quality, but AXS still hasn’t addressed this. My comparison is that would be like the WWE having the Saudi Arabia English commentators call the next Greatest Royal Rumble.

I have a very, very limited knowledge of the Japanese language but am slowly learning it. Even with the language issue for myself it doesn’t hinder my enjoyment of New Japan, have watched the past few G1’s were most dates were non-English.

2 Likes

Could someone give me a quick rundown of the final two matches? Fell asleep around then! What was the bullet club angle?

was there live. had a great time. Watching it back was painful with the big spots and the commentating. JR used to be so good at this. I still think too cool was a good tag team because JR put them over well when I was new wrestling fan. He just doesn’t have it anymore.

The Barnett spot in the ring came off better on tv then it did live.

if anyone out there that matters is reading, I would’ve been just as happy without the broken necks and Omega/Rhodes almost dying doing to botched gimmick spots. It’s not necessary good brothers. The closing angle was so strong, the rest of the spots weren’t needed. Overall great experience for my family.

3 Likes

Not sure this this is serious but go back and watch. Well worth it. Likely on NJPW this week if not already.

1 Like