NJPW New Beginning In Sapporo night 2 thread

I don’t even know it matters, it would be so full of emotion and history. If it’s me, I put Bucks over as a way to get them solidified as more than Juniors.

I also have thought that a Nick v Matt match for the IWGP Jr Hvyw would be sweet but unlikely

Agree, Cody/Hangman seems like the first tag match but I could see the Bucks in the middle and ultimately turning on Omega setting up the bigger tag. There are so many options now. The end of that show was wild

So in the last 36 hours I’ve watched…
maybe the last great final IC title defense of Tanahshi’s career.
The best hardcore match of the year so far in a year that included Jericho and Omega
One of (if not the) best NXT matches ever
The beginning of the end for one of my favorite groups in wrestling and the reason I’ve become a huge NJPW/ROH supporter
The reunion of a team I’ve only heard rumblings about but absolutely love - and the setup for an insane year of matches with my favorite group

Yeah the Rumble is gonna suckkkkkkk

They tried the bro vs bro feud in TNA, while they were Generation Me. It was ok.

Ironically, “the Villain” is the most level-headed guy and is trying to play peacemaker.:joy::joy:

1 Like

Just goes to show that three-dimensional characters are still possible to pull off in modern wrestling.

3 Likes

As the Royal Rumble kicks off, I’m recalling all the great things that have happened this weekend, from Gargano VS Ciampa to the post match Omega/BC angle, and hoping the RR even holds a candle to that stuff in its own way.

I like how people are picking up on the nuanced roles of the members of BC, and thought the angle was played fantastically. My map was Cody, barking orders, manipulating, and doing it all in that suit!

I don’t think we’re going to get the Bucks joining Omega and Ibushi, or any other intricate battle lines drawn. NJPW just doesn’t ever seem to get that complicated… i think it’ll just be Omega out, and he and Ibushi tagging with other “non faction guys.” And that would be perfectly fine with me. That ending with him trembling, nearly in tears, and then the hug. To me that was like a a moment symbolic of an end to this heel Omega that is jokey and referential and spraying cold spray on his junk, dare i say, much to the chagrin of Hot Topic and ROH booking, a end to the Elite.

I am not familiar with the work as The Golden Lovers, or even any non-Cleaner Omega, but i have had a feeling I can get behind a new babyface version far more and have been eagerly awaiting this to happen. Watching it with the Japanese commentary, I didn’t even see it coming and thought we would get months of more jerking us around, so it really came off well. If the Lovers thing is as goofy as DDT has the potential to be, then I hope they leave the gimmick behind and are just a great team.

I also felt like the Jay White/Omega match itself was pretty good, and could’ve felt even better if the crowd was into it and making noise. Jay White has a lot of potential. While i don’t see him stepping to Okada anytime soon, agree with those above who pointed out the seeds have been planted well.

But while the match got him over, I can also see the result as a kind of demotion of the belt. Omega no longer needs it or needs to challenge for it. Can see it getting more focus in US if they pull the trigger on a “territory” there, and being fought over by guys like Adam page who will probably be the next challenger.

OK, let’s watch this Rumble…

Little bit of bias on my part but definitely better than what WWE Royal Rumble show is

With all the new subscribers after WrestleKingdom, I was a little disappointed that there was still a lot of undercard filler, and I thought night 1 was really poor outside of Tana vs Suzuki.

Night 2 was excellent though. The last 2 matches were super entertaining, and the post-match stuff was excellent.

It is weird though that the Tongans and Chase Owens were nowhere to be seen.

Bad Luck Fale tweeted out after the show something about getting food with the OG-BC and what happen to “the Elites”

I’m ready for a break in the faction all together. Where Cody and Page end up will be interesting. Being The Elite was incredible last night. So much more to the story to come.