NJPW President Takami Ohbari wants to establish that BOSJ is on the same level as G1 Climax

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2023/05/26/njpw-president-takami-ohbari-wants-to-establish-that-bosj-is-on-the-same-level-as-g1-climax/

He wants to eliminate any inferiority that is associated with the comparison. 

As New Japan Pro-Wrestling inches closer to the conclusion of the 2023 Best of the Super Juniors tournament and closer to the G1 Climax, an interview that Proresu-TODAY conducted with company President Takami Ohbari was released. 

Among the topics that Ohbari discussed was the comparisons between the G1 and Best of the Super Juniors. He expressed that he wants to eliminate any inferiority that is associated with B.O.S.J. when it is compared to the G1. He stated that he wants to establish B.O.S.J. as being on the same level. 

Everyone talks about G1. But I am focusing on the Best of the Super Juniors and the junior fights. This is just my personal opinion, but I think it is unique to Japan. I think it is unique to Japan that so many high-level fighters gather and fight under the established brand of ‘junior’. There are some cruiserweight titles overseas, but I don’t think there are many junior tournaments in the world that are held on an annual basis.

That’s why I want to make it important, and establish the brand as a series on the same level as G1, in other words, as two major series that New Japan Pro-Wrestling can be proud of in the world. First, the Best of the Super Jr. event would be exciting, and then the G1 event in the middle of summer… that would be ideal. We have created a championship banner this time, and I would like to eliminate any inferiority to the G1 in terms of format.

Full coverage of the Best of the Super Juniors semifinals is going to be provided here on POST Wrestling.