NJPW vs. NOAH pay-per-view announced for 1/8 at Yokohama Arena

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2021/11/20/njpw-vs-noah-pay-per-view-announced-for-1-8-at-yokohama-arena/

New Japan Pro Wrestling and Pro Wrestling NOAH have announced a joint pay-per-view that will take place on January 8, 2022.

During a press conference, it was announced that the two companies will work together for an inter-promotional event on Sunday, January 8th from the Yokohama Arena as the third night of Wrestle Kingdom following the January 4 & 5 card that NJPW will present at the Tokyo Dome.

The show will air as a pay-per-view on Abema and will include English commentary with a price of $35 U.S. The show will be added to New Japan World and Wrestle Universe seven days after the live airing.

No matches have been announced yet for the show with the promotional poster featuring New Japan representatives Shingo Takagi, Hiroshi Tanahashi, and Kazuchika Okada opposed by NOAH’s Kaito Kiyomiya, Keiji Muto, and Katsuhiko Nakajima.

A portion of the proceeds from the event will be donated to the Japanese Red Cross.

4 Likes

I mean which dream match would interest anyone to even care at this point?

Ten years ago I might have said Marufuji vs KENTA, but now, I don’t know? I feel as though this should excite me but with how far NOAH has fallen over the past decade and with New Japan’s year long (Summer) struggle to increase interest in fans I have a tough time thinking that this might be as successful as both parties (mostly NOAH) think?

I mean as someone that follows both products this was incredibly exciting for me. From the graphic I’d assume we are getting Kaito vs Okada, which should be tremendous. Shingo vs Nakajima would be an absolute barn burner as well. Now sure I’d rather have Tanahashi vs someone like Sugura or (if he’s ready by them) Go Shiozaki. But even something like Kongo vs Chaos or LIJ, I’d be incredibly pumped. I’m all in on this and can’t wait!!

3 Likes

Very excited to hear this, though I wish something like it had come along sooner (along with some NOAH talent to spice up NJPW’s three fall tourneys). Obviously Mutoh is no great shakes, but in addition to the three matches intimated on the poster there’s plenty of great stuff to be done down-card. Sugiura/Ishii, Tanaka/Suzuki, Kitamiya/Cobb, Sakuraba/ZSJ…

1 Like