NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13 Primer and Preview

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/01/01/njpw-wrestle-kingdom-13-primer-and-preview/

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD

John Pollock, WH Park, and Wai Ting preview this Friday’s Wrestle Kingdom 13 card from the Tokyo Dome with a match-by-match discussion.

The three discuss the main event involving Kenny Omega and Hiroshi Tanahashi, the future of the Elite, analysis on the cornerstones of New Japan for 2019 and how they are positioned on this show, Chris Jericho’s role on the show and a big catch up on all the key characters and stories going into New Japan’s biggest card of the year.

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13
Friday, January 4th, 2019

Tokyo Dome
*Kenny Omega vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi for the IWGP heavyweight title
*Chris Jericho vs. Tetsuya Naito for the IWGP Intercontinental title
*Kazuchika Okada vs. Jay White
*KUSHIDA vs. Taiji Ishimori for the IWGP junior heavyweight title
*Cody vs. Juice Robinson for the IWGP United States title
*Guerrillas of Destiny vs. EVIL & Sanada vs. The Young Bucks for the IWGP tag titles
*Tomohiro Ishii vs. Zack Sabre Jr. for the British heavyweight title
*El Desperado and Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. Shingo Takagi and Bushi vs. Roppongi 3K for the IWGP junior heavyweight tag titles
*Kota Ibushi vs. Will Ospreay for the NEVER Openweight title
*Gauntlet Match for a title shot at the NEVER six-man tag titles

Subscribe to POST Wrestling
http://postwrestling.com/subscribe

POST Wrestling Forum
https://forum.postwrestling.com

Support our Patreon – The POST Wrestling Café
http://www.patreon.com/POSTwrestling

Follow us
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube

Great show guys - I was thinking back to some feedback I left when WH first came “back” to Post Wrestling and thinking how much better he’s gotten over the last (almost) year. It’s like it’s a different person! Good job to him for how much he’s improved.

I’m super excited for this - Friday night in prime time in Australia is excellent, I can’t wait.

I wanted to ask a question for those experienced with using NJ World. It’s been at least 2 years since I’ve had the service, and I understand it’s much easier to sign up in English language than it used to be.

What I want to know though is how people watch it. Is it best to just stream it through my computer and connect to my tv using HDMI? How does it go casting from your phone? Is it possible to maybe stream through PS4? I’d be super grateful for any advice :+1:

1 Like

Ps4 is awful to stream anything,firestick is great for NJ World but laptop with hdmi attached will be fine.

2 Likes

Great preview guys. I always like WH on these, he shares interesting views. I could see him being right, Tanahashi wins at the Dome and then Naito beats him, leading to Naito getting his dome win next year over Okada who wins the G1.

Kenny Omega has really been disappointing the last six months of the year, a very underwhelming title-run and I think NJPW really didn’t plan well about this run.

I send it to my tv through my chromecast. Worka great!

I think WH has a great feel and provides an awesome perspective as the domestic fan of NJPW for us North American fans. Loved he insight about how Japense fans feel towards Kenny.

I can’t see The Elite crew winning on the card except maybe Kenny if they are going to be working with him longer. I wonder how strong his relationship with New Japan is - he’s had his fair share of negative comments and whether that’s in charachter or not it makes he two sides look completely at odds. Even the cool undertale collaboration seemed like an instance of Kenny and management being very far apart on creative ideas. And we know Kenny is a creative type. Plus, what’s the tie between Kenny/HBO/New Japan. If Kenny has had filming and stuff around New Japan for that documentary it would seem to suggest the two know they will be working together for a time beyond this contract renewal. No way they lend footage and permission to HBO and Kenny just to have him leave and promote it after leaving now (to do his own profject).

Also,
Match I think we get at MSG: Golden Lovers vs Okada and Tanashia…it feels like NJPW is willing to give good tags to the US but no big singles match has really taken in the US.

I would love to see an Okada-Omega rematch for the MSG show. Might be too early or Kenny would already lose the title by then.

Great podcast.

I haven’t been on this forum for ages. Mostly because my interest in pro wrestling waned quite a bit last year, due to a mixture of work commitments, family commitments, hobby commitments (I play in bands when not at work in my office job), leaving me with a lack of time to actually watch pro wrestling other than my weeklie NXT and monthly WWE PPVs.

I have resubscribed to New Japan World again. I’m not at work tomorrow and the timing of the Japanese shows for the UK is actually pretty damn good. I will watch Okada v Omega from Dominion. I am making a determined effort to follow non-WWE wrestling this year.

Also, for anyone like me who is resubscribing at the last minute, it took literally two minutes for me to resubscribe in English. So easy.

1 Like