NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14 Live Discussion Thread

What a Main Event, what a night

Some great wrestling but overall it was way too predictable up top

I knew it would be Fin Juice winning, Mox winning, Hiromau winning, Naito winning and Okada winning.

Would have been nice to see a wrinkle or two thrown but the double championship match tomorrow means it had to be Okada and Naito.

Overall two outstanding matches. Jay and Naito was sloppy at times and dragged it still. Okada matches have fallen a bit into a formula. You can fast forward to 30 mins because it has to go longer than that and you pretty much know what he will do. It’s still good but it has gotten a bit too similar

A great first night albeit predictable

Tremendous show! Main event was a classic and despite my being fairly certain we would see an Okada win - A few of those near-falls kept me guessing. NJPW continues to outdo itself and can’t believe I get to repeat WrestleKingdom in a matter of hours. Can’t wait!

Also, great to wake up to another post show as well - the hardest working team in wrestling media!

No clue how Night 2 tops Night 1.
Osprey and Hiromu was an instant all time classic.
Okada and Ibushi lived was insane.

Mox and Lance was fun
Tag was surprising good
Naito seeking destiny.

A++

This has got to be Naito’s time, it should have been 2 years ago.

If it isn’t then it could be rather deflating considering it’ll be to Okada again.

If he doesn’t win, then I hope there is a bigger plan in place, crowd could turn

naito obviously wins. NJPW is never unpredictable

Predictable ≠ bad.

I’m more curious if Naito is as over as two years ago. Cause I do not feel him for some time now. Maybe it’s only me, but in my eyes they’ve dropped the ball with him then.

1 Like

They definitely fumbled with him after WK12, but fans always had hope. Everything about White and Okada, and how they’re presented make them the perfect obstacles to get him back there. You could hear it tonight, the fans still live and die by him.

I do agree with the Okada formula. As awesome as those last few minutes are the first 30 seem inconsequential anymore.

Respectfully disagree.
Those first 30 features Okada pulling out older more rare moves and established the urgency that leads to the final 10min as well as allows Okada to be vulnerable to Dark Ibushi laying in stiff closed fists. It’s the formula and the variety of moves and circumstances that make the final sequences feel desperate and urgent

3 Likes

Might just be I’m a big Ibushi fan and I just never got convinced he would win? Didn’t allow me to fully invest in the match. Those last 10 minutes were off the wall insane no doubt. I won’t say you’re wrong it’s just a personal feeling of mine. Ibushi and Ospreay are my favorite 2 right now so it’s probably just me knowing my favorites will lose even though the ending will be amazing. I’m referencing the Ospreay and Okada G1 match btw.

1 Like

I have to disagree.

What’s to point of the first 30 mins? You know the match isn’t ending. You know that no matter what Okada isn’t losing.

The match will only end with a rainmaker. Bc god forbide it ends with anything else.

What was the point in White vs Naito then? Or Ospreay vs Hiromu? Ospreay and White had less of a chance to win, than Ibushi. Archer had 0 chance too. Might as well have no show.

1 Like

It’s not just the lack of surprise.

It’s knowing

Okada matches have to always go super long in a main event. Every time. More than 30

Okada matches always end with multiple rainmakers. No other finish.

Okada matches for first 30 mins will never lead to a fall or him losing

So you can tune it at 30 and see what ending sequence of rainmakers and counters they came up with until he finally hits one that ends it

I was at the Tokyo Dome night one show. This was a really tremendous show from top to bottom.

The Dome was packed. It looked to be very close to as full as last year, and this is just night one of two.

I went by the building to pick up my tickets at around 1 pm and the walk-up ticket line was doing brisk business. The merchandise lines were ludicrous and there were still four hours until the show started. This is looking to be a massively successful event for NJPW.

There’s a real groundswell for Naito- the last time he challenged Okada and lost I remember the air went out of the building…everyone was ready for Naito to win and it sucked when he didn’t, but let’s see what happens today…

Let’s go Naito!

2 Likes

Okada lost last year in 14 minutes to Jay White, so there goes that theory.

It’s amazing how often I disagree with your opinions Alex.

If you want to track the rise of NJPW popularity, a big part of it is having a dominant champion, something Meltzer has pointed out is true in real sports as well.

When Okada comes our, there is a special buzz in the audience live that can’t be denied. He’s a spectacular performer- even though I hope Naito kicks his ass tonight.

2 Likes

Okada beat Jericho with a roll up. When has Naito won with anything otherelated than this sequence…running Destino, kick out, close up Destino, win.

I don’t know if I ever remember anything different. It was the same with Kenny. A million V triggers, one winged angel. All matches 20+ mins.

It’s what New Japan does.

1 Like

Sorry but this is a reductionist way of looking at NJPW matches that doesn’t give any credit to the depth and complexity of the stories being told.

Tell me another big show that equals or beats a big NJPW show over the past five years to seven years- I’m afraid there aren’t any.

The closer you watch NJPW, the more you are rewarded for paying attention. Each key match builds on something that happened in the past, something that can’t always be relied upon in other federations.

These guys are on another level live. It’s crazy the level that even the young lions are at compared to what I’ve seen at North American shows live recently. That’s not a knock on the North Americans. It just goes to show how good you can get in a year or two when you’re in the dojo and ring with guys like Yuji Nagata and Satoshi Kojima every day.

2 Likes

Dude all matches in NJPW end the same like @Rated_R_Poster said. It’s all a bunch of finishers.

It’s V triggers and one wing angel

Two destinos and match is done

Knee strike then let me pull down knee pad and do it again (bc I’m too fucken dumb to pull it down the first time)

Rainmaker kick out and then wrist control into a super rainmaker

It’s athetlic but fake and formulaic as shit come on. It’s all the same all the time

Uhmm NXT takeover? You can’t be serious