NJPW's Royal Quest to feature four championship matches

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/08/13/njpws-royal-quest-to-feature-four-championship-matches/

The card for New Japan’s Royal Quest event at the Copper Box Arena in London, England has been released.

The event takes place on Saturday, August 31st on the same day that NXT UK: TakeOver will take place from Cardiff, Wales.

The show will feature four title matches, led by Kazuchika Okada defending the IWGP heavyweight title against Minoru Suzuki. The match was set up on Sunday at Budokan Hall with Suzuki pinning the champion in a tag match.

On the same show, British heavyweight champion Zack Sabre Jr. defends the British heavyweight title against Hiroshi Tanahashi. Sabre Jr. retained the title against Tanahashi this past April at the G1 Supercard at Madison Square Garden while Tanahashi defeated the champion during the recent G1 tournament in a non-title match. (CORRECTION: We had previously stated that Sabre Jr. won the British heavyweight title at the G1 Supercard but that was title defense. He won the title from Tomohiro Ishii at Wrestle Kingdom 13 this past January).

Tomohiro Ishii will defend the NEVER Openweight title against KENTA following Sunday’s angle at Budokan Hall. Ishii was teaming with KENTA and Yoshi-Hashi against Bad Luck Fale and the Guerrillas of Destiny when KENTA walked out on his teammates and later attacked Ishii with the Busaiku knee and Go to Sleep.

The fourth title match features IWGP tag champions the Guerrilla of Destiny defending against the winners of the ‘Road to Royal Quest’ tournament that Revolution Pro is currently running.

The rest of the card features:
*Tetsuya Naito & Sanada vs. Jay White & Chase Owens
*Will Ospreay & Robbie Eagles vs. Taiji Ishimori & El Phantasmo
*Kota Ibushi & Juice Robinson vs. Yujiro & Hikuleo
*Rocky Romero & Roppongi 3K vs. Ryusuke Taguchi, Ren Narita & Shota Umino

2 Likes

Just a slight correction.
Zack Sabre Jr didn’t win the Rev Pro British Heavyweight Championship from Tanahashi at the G1 Supercard but he did successfully defend it against him.
He won it from Tomohiro Ishii at Wrestle Kingdom 13 in January :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It airs live on Fite for 24.95

Bullshit this is not on NJPWorld live.

1 Like

I received my POST T-shirt today, and am looking forward to representing the brand from the fourth row at Royal Quest. This card is sweet :smiley:

3 Likes

I believe they’re doing the same thing they did with the Australian card, and having it air a few days later on njpwworld.

Awful.
I don’t pay for the subscription to see shows days after it’s spoiled.

1 Like

They blamed infrastructure on why they had to follow this module on the Chris Charlton NJPW leading into the Australia show, and claimed the same for this Royal Quest, but they have had multiple shows in the US and never had this problem before. It feels like they’re trying to move towards a module that includes paying for events, which is ridiculous to ask your fans who are currently paying for your subscription that’s being sold as the premier way to watch their services. Easiest way to push people to nefarious means network.

The last thing on earth New Japan wants to do is to become BoLA… it may be the hottest ticket in town, but by the time you or I have hte opportunity to watch it, everything special about it has been spoiled and if we hadn’t done the R-A-W on 2018’s a few months ago, I don’t know if I’d have gotten around to watch it yet.