NWA moving to five PPV cycles in 2023, more live events being added to schedule

Originally published at NWA moving to five PPV cycles in 2023, more live events being added to schedule

Billy Corgan provides update on the NWA’s 2023 schedule.

Next weekend, the National Wrestling Alliance is presenting their 74th Anniversary show which will take place over two nights on August 27th and 28th. The match card for both nights have been rounded out. The Worlds Heavyweight Title is set to be defended, World Women’s Title, NWA USA Tag Team Titles are returning among other titles up being for grabs.

The organization’s owner, Billy Corgan, was interviewed by Ariel Helwani and he provided an update on the 2023 schedule for NWA. He said they are going to be moving from four pay-per-views to five, they’ll hold tapings every 10 weeks instead of every 11-to-12 and says more live events will be taking place.

We do four pay-per-views annually at the moment. Two pay-per-views are double, Crockett Cup and the Anniversary pay-per-view. We’re moving to five pay-per-view cycles next year. So currently we shoot about every 11-to-12 weeks and next year, we’ll move to about every 10 and we’re gonna add more live events as well so we’re expanding for next year already.

Corgan then expanded on conversations he’s had with Paul ‘Triple H’ Levesque and WWE. When Levesque was running the black and gold NXT, he had conversations with Corgan about the NWA Houston library but they were not able to put a deal together.

In addition to that, when WWE aired their events on the WWE Network, Corgan did talk with the company about adding NWA to their lineup of content on the service. That did not come to fruition either, but Corgan said WWE was always respectful.

You know, it was very good . When Triple H was in power before he lost power and came back now, he and I had a lot of discussions about the Houston library. He’s a particular fan of that promotion which is the Paul Boesch promotion and we just were never able to put together the deal for me to transfer that library over to him and then for a while, we had discussions about being on the Network when they had the Network on their own, not on Peacock and we talked extensively and I talked to — I guess mid-level manager, very smart, very bright people about being part of the WWE starship. That also just didn’t happen but they were very respectful. I’ve never had anything but less than a positive interaction with WWE on every level; as a fan, as a celebrity, as a professional person, always total class with me. Nothing to say but good things.

There’s an interview here on the POST Wrestling site with Kerry Morton, who’ll be challenging for the World Junior Heavyweight Title at NWA 74. To take a look at the video version of that conversation, click here.

If the quotes in this article are used, please credit Ariel Helwani with an H/T to POST Wrestling for the transcriptions.

1 Like