NWA wanted to bring Davey Boy Smith Jr. in prior to his latest stint with WWE

Originally published at NWA wanted to bring Davey Boy Smith Jr. in prior to his latest stint with WWE

Davey Boy Smith Jr. is coming to the NWA for the Crockett Cup.

The National Wrestling Alliance is days away from kicking off their two-day Crockett Cup event. At the conclusion of the event, 2022 Crockett Cup tournament winners will have been determined and one of the teams in the field this year is Doug Williams and Harry Smith a.k.a. Davey Boy Smith Jr.

Smith Jr. has not wrestled in a sanctioned match since the summer of 2021 when he teamed up with Austin Theory in a dark match prior to SmackDown. Smith was back with WWE but did not make his return to television. He was released in November of that year.

To promote the Crockett Cup, NWA owner Billy Corgan appeared on ‘My Mom’s Basement’ with Robbie Fox and shared that his organization had been in contact with Smith Jr. before his return to WWE and they wanted him to come into the NWA then.

I do know Harry . I worked with Harry going back ten years and I’ve stayed in personal touch with him through the years. I like Harry a lot as a person. Very underrated talent. Absolute mountain of a man and I’m glad he’s finally coming to NWA. It’s something we tried to put together before and it’s just never happened. In fact, the last time we tried to put it together, he went to the WWE for, as they say, ‘A cup of coffee’. So I’m very happy to see Harry come in to work with us.

The matches for the Crockett Cup tournament are set and competing in the tourney are the likes of The Briscoes, Matt Taven and Mike Bennett along with NWA World Tag Team Champions La Rebelión (Mecha Wolf & Bestia 666).

If the quote in this article is used, please credit ‘My Mom’s Basement’ with an H/T to POST Wrestling for the transcription.