NXT announcement imminent for Sept. 18 launch on USA

Yup commercial breaks are a big worry for me. I watch on Hulu so I get commercials now, but they are between the matches/segments. I think a lot would be lost if matches need to get broken up for commercial.

I’d love to believe that if NXT stays the same and goes to 2 hours and is successful maybe it will bleed over to the other shows. But I won’t hold my breath on that one.

The three I named came in with great fan-fare, had great runs in NXT, and based on my interaction with casual fans are irrelevant and uninteresting on the main roster. They’ve been booked as mid-card acts who had failed main event pushes. Maybe not everyone views them this way, but I will tell you getting together with casual fans to watch PPVs on occasion these are three guys that I am constantly asked why they are important or what is so good about them aside from being guys who were cool outside of WWE.

I understand the hypocrisy in it. But I’ll put this question out to the forum. Name the last ORGANIC-cool WWE thing that when WWE brass tried to take control of it was not ruined and made entirely uncool?..I’ll wait.

1 Like

If it is being announced tonight - would you run an NXT Takeover angle tonight to get the current cast of top guys exposure. Maybe Undisputed Era?

He isn’t NXT not controlled by WWE brass?

It’s run by the third man on the totem pole.

That never works out for the invading force.

1 Like

I mean entirely uncool? I think they’ve done ok with some of the Women being “cool”. I think they might be better without the top brass but they are not entirely uncool.

The last “cool” things were Brock’s return, the heel shield and Bryan’s babyface run. All three horribly ruined. It’s been like five years of desperation to be cool and failing.

1 Like

What was organic about the women call-up? Stephanie announcing she is leading an Evolution?
The call up of the two most over characters in NXT - Bayley and Asuka being completely washed on the Main Roster? The Tag Titles? Re-doing the epic Sasha/Bayley feud on Raw?

Okay, maybe “entirely uncool” is a harsh way of saying it…but pretty much everything great about the women’s division was better before they touched it.

and @Deezy just going on what is reported, NXT is going to be a USA TV product Vince/Dunn are getting control. Unless those reports are false which I :pray: they are

I was thinking more of say Alexa and Becky specifically, along with Charlotte being a decent heel. I am by no means saying they have f’d up quite a bit of things and those characters would be better with better booking, but they aren’t entirely uncool. On the men’s side I think Ali is ok though he has fallen off more recently, and Bray is cool (for now).

I get your overall point that they change gears and over book things far too often and don’t tell long term stories well at all.

1 Like

Only two things I care about…is it in full sail or travelling.

And is it available in my area if it’s on USA…because I don’t get USA in Canada.

Everything else is just chicken little “sky is falling” bullshit

@Breng77 - you highlight some successes, and by no means to I want to say they can’t do well or get characters or story over. Like everything, it is hit or miss. Becky got herself over, and that was organic and shockingly not ruined despite their best efforts with the Seth-Becky dating bullsh*t. But take other person in that equation. Seth is getting over as a face and star with the audience so what do they do? turn him into a dweeb :man_facepalming:

There is a consistent history of them taking something Fans are behind and want to see and somehow turning it into something that is cringeworthy.

The CWC was great, 205, not so much.
Broken Hardy was great, Woken Hardy was just a laugh
The Tag Division in NXT is incredible, The Revival spend a year as jokes, AOP is nowhere to be found, and American Alpha is broken up
The Demon is awe-inspiring, so they do a campy introduction to the character on Raw one night
…I can keep going.

But hey, maybe people disagree and have faith in Main Roster behind the scenes people being able to continue the legacy of something that is genuinely organic and resonates with a portion of the fan base that they otherwise don’t seem to want to book for, UNTIL another company comes around and now they get reactionary.

Like so said they get stuff ok sometimes. But as you point out more often mess stuff up and obvious stuff at that.

1 Like

However NXT gets presented on USA it’s going to be shitty for UK fans when it disappears from the Network. With WWE moving to BT Sport in January there is no way Sky is picking up NXT for the remainder of their contract. AEW’s show, on the other hand, will be on free TV here.

I can’t see myself subscribing to the WWE Network for lacklustre main roster PPVs and out of context Takeovers if I can’t watch the weekly NXT show.

Out of context Takeovers? Bruh…the build ups are not exactly Connor/Khabib…it’s A challenges B…promo, promo, and brawl.

Besides they have a countdown show and preshow where they give you promo packages that sums it all up perfectly in 2 minutes

Yes that was the old model, now they’re going to have twice as much TV time to fill. We all know how WWE is when filling TV time. It’s going to be a disaster and NXT (which already has lost a lot of momentum) will become another Main Event, 205 Live, Velocity, etc.

I’m very pessimistic about this, I did like the simplicity of NXT while understanding it was a money loser. Now you’ll go from loveable Indy band going against the Mainstream to having your song in Bud Light and Gap commercials and Fast and Furious trailers

That’s another problem. NxT wasn’t overly profitable. That will change with ad revenue, but do you really think an admitted control freak will not be involved.
And, no, we aren’t approaching this free of prejudice. We have years and years of history that we can’t just ignore because it’s convenient to someone’s narrative

Jericho on Busted Open was spot on: this dilutes the WWE product, focus, and attention span of a viewer. They are going to need to promo NXT on Raw because they can’t not advertise it now on USA.

And if AEW is outdrawing NXT that’s going to be visible and fuel to the fire for AEWs hype-machine. Why invite the potential to be exposed? So shortsighted in my opinion. NXT becomes so marginal. Say what you want about NXT before this, it was always “developmental”. Hard to use that as cover for low viewership or main stream attention when you put it front and center for 2 hours.

See also: WWECW