Openweight Title match, Yuta vs. El Phantasmo set for 5/28 NJPW Strong

Originally published at Openweight Title match, Yuta vs. El Phantasmo set for 5/28 NJPW Strong

This week’s edition of NJPW Strong is being headlined by Tom Lawlor putting the Strong Openweight Championship on the line against Chris Dickinson. The upcoming bout will be Lawlor’s first title defense since winning the tournament to crown the first-ever champion.

In addition to the main event, there are two singles matches set for the 5/28 show. El Phantasmo will meet Wheeler Yuta along with Clark Connors versus AJZ kicking off the program.

Friday night on an all new #njpwSTRONG!

Lawlor vs Dickinson- the STRONG Openweight Championship is defended for the first time ever!

El Phantasmo takes on Wheeler Yuta!

AJZ faces Clark Connors!https://t.co/ksQGAohJtK#njcollision pic.twitter.com/uFCSUQLBID

— NJPW Global (@njpwglobal) May 25, 2021

New Japan Pro-Wrestling resumed live shows on 5/22 after a short hiatus due to the rise of COVID-19 cases in areas of Japan. The company held a show today and will be hosting another on 5/25. Here are the results from the 5/24 show:

• Yujiro Takahashi def. Yota Tsuji
  • DOUKI & Zack Sabre Jr. def. Chase Owens & Gedo
  • Guerrillas Of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa) (w/Jado) def. Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Tomoaki Honma
  • The United Empire (Great-O-Khan & Jeff Cobb) def. Kota Ibushi & Master Wato
  • Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI, SANADA, Shingo Takagi & Tetsuya Naito) def. Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii, YOSHI-HASHI & Hiroshi Tanahashi
1 Like

Man, Strong has all of the stability that NJPW proper desperately needs right now (apples and oranges, I know). Every weekend I know I can throw Strong on and get some enjoyable three(ish) star matches that have been sensibly booked and developed. There’s a steady stream of younger indie workers and the odd main roster wrestler moonlighting to keep things fresh. Definitely a dark horse winner of a show emerging from the COVID era.