Overnight viewership figures for Friday Night SmackDown

Looking over Twitter followings other than Jericho AEWs top guys have followings befitting a WWE midcard act and in the same range as the NXT top guys. Cody seems to be their second biggest star at 960k followers.

So like I said their following is a cult following, but they aren’t mega stars that are household names.

Yeah they aren’t the level of Rock or Austin or Cena or Brock. But compare someone like Seth or Kofi vs Kenny and Jericho. I think the AEW guys are on that level

Ability wise, sure - but again, they’ve never had the platform or a WWE like machine behind them.

The hope from everybody is that AEW can grow to be an ALTERNATIVE to WWE. Nobody at this stage believes they are a true competitor. Not saying in a decade if all goes well they can’t grow to something that could… But at this stage they are a brand new company and they are setting off on a long journey.

What Wednesday night proved is there is a solid fanbase to grow from, who want that true alternative.

2 Likes

They aren’t by social media Metrics other than Jericho. Rollins has 10x the Twitter followers of the Bucks and almost that compared to Kenny. Rollins is 3.7 million, Jericho is 3.6 Million, Kenny is just under 410k, the Bucks are around 350k. Adam Cole is around the Same as the Bucks, Ricochet is in that same area around 300k. So as far as popularity (at least using that as a metric, they are in the same League as Top NXT guys or Mid card WWE guys. I mean if you look at Becky she is on Comercials for ESPN, going to red carpets, doing talk shows. Right now none of the AEW guys are doing that. They have cult followings in the hardcore wrestling world and among some hard core gamers but that isn’t the same league of notoriety. They aren’t nobodies but they aren’t on a level with top WWE guys. Give them time, but they aren’t household names.

2 Likes

You make a valid point. However I think some of that has to do with the nature of their accounts.

Jericho, Rollins and Becky say crazy things on Twitter. It’s fun to see them fight with others and put their foot in their mouths etc.

Omega is much more tame - he doesn’t really drum up controversy and take shots at people as much.

Even myself who likes him way better follows the other three because it’s more fun.

That being said I guess I am looking at it more from let’s say Seth is on channel A and Omega comes up on channel B. Do you change? How about if roles are reversed?

I am not sure people have that much more interest in seeing Seth in TV considering he’s often in the lowest rated segments.

You must not have been paying attention to Omega for the past few months…

1 Like

No haven’t followed him lol. Maybe I should. But the Seth vs Will and Becky vs the world and Jericho stuff has had my attention

That is part of it, but it is still an indication. Further asking me (someone who knows who both are) whether I change the channel isn’t a helpful metric if what we are trying to look at is how many more people know person A or person B. As to more interesting feed I’ll throw this out there MJF has 67k…and he just had a tweet go viral, and he is upper midcard for AEW. So yes that matters but only so much and I don’t think with all the AEW hype (AEW only has 400kish followers). If these stars were close you would see a difference of 10-1 or in the case of Becky to Omega 4-1.

2 Likes

What was the TOTAL number including West Coast airing?

One thing I circled back to thinking about how they did not advertise Cain was that perhaps they wanted some kind of hook / spoiled-surprise for the West Coast airing.

1 Like

Last I heard was 3.99 million.

1 Like