Pat McAfee joining ESPN's 'College GameDay' full-time, WWE commentary role to be on hold

Originally published at Pat McAfee joining ESPN's 'College GameDay' full-time, WWE commentary role to be on hold

** UPDATED STORY **

During ‘The Pat McAfee Show’, McAfee clarified that his role as a commentator on Friday Night SmackDown will be on hold as he focuses on College GameDay. He wanted to do both, but those at WWE suggested that McAfee focus on his new opportunity. McAfee said it was explained to him that they did not want him traveling overnight in that manner for the remainder of the season.

Paul ‘Triple H’ Levesque added WWE would never stand in Pat’s way and he will remain a member of the company. In July, McAfee signed a multi-year extension with WWE.

SmackDAHN will be on hold for a little bit while I do College GameDay.. I'm still VERY much in the WWE family & will still be doing things with WWE#PMSLive pic.twitter.com/bhSpOYg3wW

— Pat McAfee (@PatMcAfeeShow) September 7, 2022

.@PatMcAfeeShow approached us about his amazing opportunity with College GameDay. We’d never stand in Pat’s way, as he continues to architect his exceptional career.

Pat will remain a member of the @WWE Universe and we look forward to his return. #UpToSomethingSZN

— Triple H (@TripleH) September 7, 2022

** ORIGINAL STORY **

The ‘College GameDay’ panel now includes Pat McAfee in a full-time spot.

After Pat McAfee wraps up commentary for WWE this Friday for SmackDown in Seattle, Washington, he’ll be heading to Austin, Texas to be on the ESPN ‘College GameDay’ panel. Alabama Crimson Tide is scheduled to play the Texas Longhorns.

McAfee will be part of the College GameDay panel on a full-time basis starting Saturday. He confirmed the news on Twitter, writing the following:

It’s an absolute honor 2 have this tweet tweeted about me.

GameDay is a show that I’ve been a fan of FOREVER

So many moving parts including real cool conversations w/ the fine folks from WWE..all moved quickly

Will lead show manana w/ all the deets

🗣 DUMBEST LIFE OF ALL TIME

It’s an absolute honor 2 have this tweet tweeted about me.

GameDay is a show that I’ve been a fan of FOREVER

So many moving parts including real cool conversations w/ the fine folks from WWE..all moved quickly

Will lead show manana w/ all the deets

🗣 DUMBEST LIFE OF ALL TIME https://t.co/wC4vhzUJIv

— Pat McAfee (@PatMcAfeeShow) September 7, 2022

‘College GameDay’ airs on Saturdays and WWE’s next two pay-per-views are Extreme Rules on 10/8 and Survivor Series on 11/26 which are both on Saturdays.

McAfee has guest appeared on ‘College GameDay’ in the past. His weekly show, ‘The Pat McAfee Show’ parted ways with SiriusXM last week.

Sad times. I enjoyed Pat on the SmackDown commentary booth he had fun and it showed with Michael Cole whom especially without Vince in his ear had become a lot more enjoyable within the last two.months.

Tis a good two years. Thanks Pat!

I dont think hes gone. Hes just not on smackdown during the football season. He’ll back after the season.

I don’t think it’s clear that he’s necessarily even gone from Smackdown. It could just be the Saturday PPV’s he misses.

2 Likes

Heave ho. I know he’s beloved by WWE fans but I can’t stand this dweeb.

this. I hope he does both.

Pat is a broadcasting treasure. Really incredible journey post playing career. Cool to see and that Wrestling can very much claim him as much as anywhere else is cool for Wrestling.

2 Likes

That timeline looks pretty good for a return at the Rumble.

1 Like

College Football is the bomb right now, great games recently, great opportunity for Pat. Roll Tide!

1 Like

Agreed…football season is like Sept-Nov, thats 3/12 months he would be unavailable. I don’t see why he would quit SD.

1 Like

College football season is only a few months long, and one thing we know about the WWE Universe is that once you start to fit in over there, you are often associated with the brand “for life.” Pat in particular seems to love it so he should be back sooner rather than later.

I’m curious how far Pat can take his little media empire. Long term, I would love to see him keep building his own thing and put a little pressure on Porkboy and the Barstool goons.

2 Likes

:grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like