Pat McAfee vs. Adam Cole set for NXT TakeOver: XXX

Originally published at Pat McAfee vs. Adam Cole set for NXT TakeOver: XXX - POST Wrestling | WWE AEW NXT NJPW Podcasts, News, Reviews

Paul “Triple H” Levesque went onto ESPN’s ‘Get Up’ show this morning and issued a challenge to Pat McAfee on behalf of Adam Cole. Levesque invited McAfee to come have a match against Cole at NXT TakeOver: XXX on August 22nd. McAfee went on to accept Levesque’s challenge and it’s now official that McAfee will make his pro wrestling in-ring debut against the former NXT Champion at TakeOver.

BREAKING NEWS:
Former @Colts Punter @PatMcAfeeShow has accepted @TripleH's challenge for a match with @AdamColePro at #NXTTakeOver: XXX. @NFLonFOX pic.twitter.com/wA3ITPDW9L

— WWE on FOX (@WWEonFOX) August 6, 2020

I kicked @AdamColePro’s head off of his body last night on #WWENXT.

I didn’t want to do it, I HAD to do it. He ASSAULTED me with a bottle.

Then I got physically kicked out of the building by @TripleH.

Never thought this is how a honeymoon was supposed to go but

BREAKING NEWS pic.twitter.com/KYAiV9LLHJ

— Pat McAfee (@PatMcAfeeShow) August 6, 2020

The main event of last night’s episode of NXT featured Kyle O’Reilly and Bobby Fish unsuccessfully challenging Fabian Aichner and Marcel Barthel for the NXT Tag Team Championships. McAfee was on commentary and took verbal jabs at Adam Cole’s height which Cole heard. The Undisputed ERA leader made his way over to the commentary table and engaged in a back and forth with McAfee that became physical.

Paul Levesque and Shawn Michaels made their way to the area to break up the altercation but it resulted in McAfee punting Adam Cole in the head.

How much was I supposed to take from this beta who is a MANIAC?

Blows up on my show, breaks shit, pushes Ty.

Then..I take time out of MY HONEYMOON, so we can hug it out.

Then he LOSES HIS MIND AGAIN.. assaults me w/ a bottle & I’M THE 1 THAT GETS KICKED OUT?

How’s that fair? pic.twitter.com/5jl30e8Pu8

— Pat McAfee (@PatMcAfeeShow) August 6, 2020

To hear the upNXT team’s thoughts about this sequence of events, check out their review of the 8/5/20 episode of NXT at this link. Here’s the updated TakeOver lineup:

* Ladder Match — Vacant NXT North American Championship: Bronson Reed vs. Damian Priest vs. TBD vs. TBD vs. TBD
* NXT Women’s Championship: Io Shirai (c) vs. Dakota Kai
* Pat McAfee vs. Adam Cole

This guy was a punter right? Seems very D list next to Gronk or LT.

I hope they don’t job out Adam Cole to him

Adam Cole soon to join the long tradition of over WWE heels turned into corny, ball-less babyfaces.

4 Likes

I don’t know who this match is for.

1 Like

A TakeOver program for your longest reigning champion in brand history against a radio host all to get highlights on SportsCenter. It’s no mystery why 50+ is their best demo.

Only somewhat logical thing I can think of is that McAfee was doing XFL games. Maybe this was already agreed upon (and paid for) as part of that deal.

1 Like

I don’t get it. I’m just glad they got the heel/face dynamic right. Personally, it doesn’t feel like any appeal to me to watch NXT. Pat is insufferable, and I know that’s the point - but he doesn’t appeal to me in a way that he’s so good at being a bad guy that I want to see his ass kicked. I generally don’t have much desire to see anyone who has ever been associated with the Barstool Sports toxic culture on my screen. But, it’s not for me. Maybe it’ll appeal to a key demo. Very well could.

I hope they keep it brief or have lots of bells and whistles. I’d assume Cole goes babyface from here. I do think it’s inherently troubling he isn’t even on the main roster yet and we’re hyperfocusing on his size. That sounds like a bad omen.

1 Like

Vince McMahon!!

4 Likes

How does anyone come back from losing to a punter? The team mascot is usually tougher

HHH: And then after he calls him short the football player beats up the tiny indie guy.

Vince: Har har har, now that’s some good shit pal

2 Likes

May 2017:Adam Cole vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi
August 2020: Adam Cole vs. Pat McAfee

4 Likes

Theirs my bathroom break match sorted…have zero interest in this…like if cole looses where would both men go from their?

Remember those reports where it was said that Vince was gonna get more hands-on with NXT?

I guess we’re starting to see it now with this match.

Why does everything bad, get attributed to Vince, but HHH can do no wrong?

2 Likes

September 2005: Christopher Daniels vs. AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe
September 2018: Christopher Daniels vs. Stephen Amell

I enjoyed both of those. I’ll probably enjoy both Cole matches too.

2 Likes

HHH is the hero in the story and everything has to fit that story.

This is what caring too much about ratings brings you. Growing the audience and increasing the coverage your show gets is top priority.

My problem is I’m not sure this match does anything for ratings. It is your former champ against a former punter. Not exactly big name value.

It took less than 1 year to turn NXT into something it wasn’t before USA. Bringing in Main Roster stars to bump ratings. Tons of gimmick matches on TV. And now a celebrity match. Have we had a full episode of all non finishes?

5 Likes

They are unfortunately trying to be more mainstream like main roster WWE and AEW. They’re still far from that though and it’s being set up well. Just would’ve been nice if it was against another legitimate wrestler.

The standard of wrestling shows is super low and NXT is still comfortably better than the rest but if they try and be mainstream then it’s just natural that they’ll slowly turn into what’s familiar with the rest of wrestling. This is why fans that are desperately invested in this ratings war are ridiculous.

You do realize that there is a 13 years gap in one case and 2 in the other…

Anyway, if anyone asks for reasons why I stopped watching NXT, here’s another one.