Pat Patterson passes away at the age of 79

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/12/02/pat-patterson-passes-away-at-the-age-of-79/

WWE announced via their social media platforms that WWE Hall Of Famer and the inaugural WWF Intercontinental Champion Pat Patterson has passed away at the age of 79. Patterson’s career in pro wrestling began over six decades ago. He started with the World Wrestling Federation in the 70s and would remain with the company for the remainder of his career.

After retiring from in-ring competition in the 80s, Patterson began working in a backstage role in the company and is credited as the mind behind the Royal Rumble concept. Throughout the 90s and 2000s, Patterson would make a number of on-screen appearances in various roles. In 2019, he won the 24/7 Championship during the RAW Reunion special.

Patterson was also respected for being open about his sexuality in the early 70s by those who knew him personally, though it was never made public until he officially revealed the news while on the WWE Network series ‘Legend’s House’. Patterson’s partner was Louis Dondero.

WWE is saddened to learn that WWE Hall of Famer Pat Patterson has passed away. https://t.co/SDMTR6skZn

— WWE (@WWE) December 2, 2020

Patterson won a handful of championships in the territorial days of pro wrestling. Tributes came raining in as the news of his passing was announced.

POST Wrestling would like to send our condolences to the family, friends and loved ones of Pat Patterson.

This actually saddened me. For all I’ve heard he was a great influence backstage for so many years and a great guy on top of that.

Really sad.

Probably the second-most important mind behind the era of WWF that hooked me for life. I’m sure there will be something on NXT and/or Smackdown this week, but I hope they pay proper tribute at the Royal Rumble this January.

1 Like

What a legend this guy was. Always a favorite of mine, since I first saw him as a member of The Stooges. Hilarious and entertaining always. Gave us some great Rumble moments from behind the scenes. He’ll be missed.

I remember meeting him at an NXT show in Toronto. I was sitting ringside and they brought him out to sit ringside and take a video. Got to exchange a few words with him and he looked to be having a great time

RIP. What a year 2020 has been

This really sucks. Not only was he a great Wrestler but He was the second most important figure behind the scenes in WWE history. WWE and Pro Wrestling would not be what it was without him. RIP Pat Patterson.

Feel really bad for Bruce Pritchard and Vince Mcmahon right now. Out of all the losses they have suffered. This has to be the absolute worse.

Massive,massive loss for professional wrestling.

First ever IC champ and the brain behind the greatest match type in wrestling. That alone will keep his name living on forever. RIP.