Peacock Editing Content

I dont know.

You don’t even know what they are editing out, it could just be a handful of things. This is my point, people are loosing it without even knowing the specifics.

Look, if it were me I’d prefer things stay as is, but I 100% get why they are doing it. Why deal with the headache of people loosing their shit. My gut tells me thats its going to be stuff that was pretty shit anyways, so on many levels I dont care.

Doubt it, they probably wont even know or realize stuff was edited out. If someone watches the Raw with Mark Henry sleeping with the a man in drag, do you really think they are going to know that it was there? They will only realize it if its someone that has already seen it and is going back to see if its still there. (Im just using this as an example because Im sure this will be edited out).

2 Likes

No, it’s not, because it’s going beyond WWE. These politics in the entertainment industry had gotten insane the last few years. History is history for a reason - so you can learn from it. Censoring and changing it only hurts in the long run.

These huge corporations afraid of blowback from the crazies on twatter (which, BTW, is not the real world) is baffling and disturbing.

1 Like

This isnt censoring. Censoring is when someone WANTS to show something, and someone else does not allow them. This is a company making a choice.

1 Like

So, let’s start here.

No, Peacock is not altering history.

Peacock is offering up product to make money. They have some sort of internal standard (let’s just assume they have reasons for what they do) for what is acceptable to them to offer as a product for sale to customers.

If some raw product doesn’t meet their standard, but they can edit it to meet whatever bar that the product needs to pass, then they appear willing to do that.

Some of you are objecting to Peacock as if they are some sort of national or state archive altering records. They are not.

2 Likes

There is a large difference between. “I don’t like the fact that they are editing the content”

And
“They are rewriting history, and they shouldn’t do that”

1 Like

There is a long history of owners of creative content, or their distributors, willingly editing their own material to suit new markets. This is done all the time when taking content from the US and selling it in other markets.

Again, people are confusing censoring (when a government authority controls information against the wills of the owner of the content) with marketing (when a content owner repackages material for their desired market.)

If you think Peacock has gone too far then fine, don’t buy their product.

But I hope some of you will reexamine why you feel offended by Peacock removing racist or misogynist content. Wrestling has long been thought of as low-brow, and frankly trashy material for people with little discernment. This is the history of the carnival business. It long earned its bad reputation. Many of us are glad that the wrestling business (at least a few corners of it) are trying to leave the trash where it belongs - on the cutting room floor.

6 Likes

If the idea is that people will learn from history, and we have learned that some of this stuff is wrong or offensive why would we continue to air it? Continuing to air it suggests we have learned nothing. People who want to investigate the shady past of wrestling will and this stuff will still be known. For new fans or old fans going back to watch this stuff they aren’t learning anything by consuming it.

If you’re really upset about not being able to watch Vince McMahon say the N word, then you probably need to get out more.

7 Likes

No. You just don’t understand the definition of censorship. There is no dependence on any institution, governmental or otherwise, in the dictionary definition. Go check it out.

Who said anyone is upset? Not all of us are emotionally fragile individuals who are unable to discuss matters from an ideological and intellectual perspective.

2 Likes

I really just think it’s time + is funny that WWE may get its comeuppance all due to their quest to monetize. Didn’t happen with going to Saudi, doesn’t happen with bad booking too many hours; not their misclassifying talent as Indy contractors, but hey maybe their checkered creative past and controversial history will finally be what ends this gravy train.

I have no feeling either way about the editing other than my interest and curiosity with how far it goes. It is not going to be surprising that in 2021 the company would be willing to distance itself as far as possible from so much of the shit they used to think made them cool.

By the way what ever happen to Yang pushing for workers rights in WWE? Just completely fell off the radar with his shift to NY Politics. All other instances are so fleeting but like a Comcast buying your library only to uncover a trove of cancellable content seems to be longer lasting.

3 Likes

The best solution would be to just place a disclaimer before said content (like Disney or Warner Bros before some of their programming).

Also, for those arguing for the sanctity of the Fed’s historical archives, I get it (to an extent)…But that ship has long since sailed. There’s hundreds of edits to these shows (both great & small) that change the viewing experience from how it was originally presented.

Besides, I’ve always had a bigger problem w/them altering music than something like “censoring” Vince from saying racial slurs. One is a fundamental part of the presentation of a character…The other is just an old man trying (and failing) to be funny.

:100:

11 Likes

Exactly. It always annoys me to hear “Break the Walls Down” when I see Jericho in WCW. That is way worse than getting rid of Val Venis getting his dick chopped off.

But again, it comes down to Vince not giving a fuck and caring only about money. Good for him but the guy is so cheap and short sighted.

1 Like

Says the person who gets triggered and feels the need to endlessly rant every time the letters A E W are spoken.

7 Likes

Anyone suggesting that content from Saudi should be taken down best have a think. It wasn’t that long ago that the US was torturing people in Guantanamo Bay or bombing whichever country they fancied taking out. Can’t see Peacock taking down all content based on the US

2 Likes

You’re aware Peacock is a US-only product right? :woozy_face:

3 Likes

I’d love to see the look on the Peacock intern when they have to watch and then attempt to edit this -

https://youtu.be/xM9dUFzN-bA

I am totally unfamiliar with what is available on Peacock, but I imagine there is some questionable content in sitcoms and tv shows from the fairly recent past. Like the casual homophobia of the early 00s.
I guess it comes down to what the standards of the network are. If it’s just an occasional bleeping of certain things, fine…whatever. if it’s editing out Chris Benoit or Jimmy Snuka…that is extremely problematic (obviously)
Ultimately, WWE knew what the standards were when they signed the deal ( you’d hope) and Peacock knew what they were in for in acquiring the catalogue

And? How does that detract from the fact that it’s hugely hypocritical for ppl in the US to point fingers at others

Well let me know when/if WWE creates a promotional video talking about how great Guantanamo Bay is (like they did with the Saudis)

2 Likes