Please vote!

I do hope everything goes ok in the States. Since I’m working nights I plan on deleting all my social media off my phone during the night and getting wrestling news from the forum and the POST site instead of seeing it on Twitter. I hope everyone stays safe.

Trump has motivated a lot of new voters, both for and against him. I think it’s going to be Biden if there are no surprises, but I can see something crazy happening like a state that wasn’t even on the radar (Michigan?) going a different way than anticipated.

It’s hard to imagine a Trump landslide, as pretty much every swing state would have to break his way, but I think any other situation is possible.

1 Like

Soon as it is obvious he has an uphill battle in the courts all his supporters in Congress will abandon ship as they no longer have anything to gain by standing by his bullshit and he’ll go quietly. I think if he is antagonized he’ll fight ugly.

Having spent the summer in Palm Beach county and now living here, my experience:

People unapologetically support Trump and acknowledge he’s an asshole. It’s rare to see people outwardly supporting Biden.

Compare this to NYC where I previously lived and it was entirely rare and very taboo to outwardly support Trump.

I’ve listened to the 538 election podcasts a lot. They dismiss the notion of the silent Trump voter. In my lived experience it’s very real.

Though whereas in last election the non-vote was somewhat a vote for Trump; this year I think the non-vote is a vote for Biden. Based on people I’ve interacted with in both NYC and Palm Beach County, there seems to be a feeling that Trump isn’t somebody people will actively vote for while not wanting Biden to win.

1 Like

Both parties have set the stage to contest anything short of an historic electoral landslide. So barring that, half of the country will rail on about having an illegitimate president until 2024 when we do it all again.

To be honest, the logistics of this election are such a mess than neither side should concede unless it’s a rout. About 500 nitpicking lawyers will decide this one if the vote isn’t decisive enough to do the job.

Honestly, our media has an obsession with him and those in cable news have never made more money than they do since him. He’s ratings gold and entire networks have revamped their coverage patterns to maximize interest in him. It’s extremely unhealthy and a disgusting display of American capitalism destroying our journalism. On the flip side, those who support him knowingly voted a reality show into politics and get a kick out of US Politics being pop culture. It’s been a perverted obsession for 4 years both for and against him.

1 Like

I think a lot of this rides on what happens in the Senate. I truly feel many of these R-Senators want out of their deal with the devil and if it’s more of a long shot for him to win through countless court battles they’ll save face and try and stop him.

I don’t see the Democrats conceding no matter. They basically never did and have fought to remove Trump since November 8 2016. I don’t see Trump conceding but I see it being very much over if Biden wins a bunch of states in play and Trumps only recourse is courts where his own party doesn’t wanna upend the country because they still got the Senate.

Besides, some real republicans, not Trumpers feel 2024 is a layup and by 2023 the Democrats will implode when they start primarying vs themselves. There will be a concentrated push to get rid of crazy Trump stuff soon as they can to minimize how much of that base they have to cater to. The quicker they move on the more that base will go away. Hopefully.

Hopefully, the secret service keeps a close eye on el Presidentè. If the results don’t go his way I think he might take a long vacation. To a foreign country. Without extradition treaties.

1 Like

I think it’s here to stay now that trump squeezed that toothpaste from the tube.

I’m not an American citizen either, but if I was, I wouldn’t give my vote to either Trump or Biden.

The third guy is the one who deserves my support.

Well, good luck America. The world is watching, please don’t make a mess (again)

Lil Pimp and Lil Wayne endorsed Trump. Can we chalk this up to them just being kinda dumb and easy to manipulate? They can endorse whomever they want, but if just comes off as desperate last minute “minority outreach” after the Trump campaign realizes that whites are moving towards Biden.

I don’t think it really needs reading into that much, if at all. Maybe they’re kinda dumb and easy to manipulate or maybe they’re just typical “I got mine, so fuck you” types who don’t like higher taxes for the rich…because they’re rich. Maybe all of the above, it’s not out of the norm. A lot of rich people don’t care about politics other than how it might change their income. Lil Pump explicitly stated that’s why he doesn’t like Biden.

Also, I don’t think you need to worry about successful minority outreach via Lil Wayne and Lil Pump (i’m pretty sure his fanbase is like 98% white suburban teenagers). Not necessarily because of the demographics of their fanbases, but I don’t believe their fans are looking to them or their music for political consciousness. Few people of voting age are going to alter their political views because a musician they like simply states they’re voting one way or another. I’d be surprised if even Kanye’s Trump support has had that effect.

2 Likes

Kanye West is your man then

After 2016, no election result will surprise me…

Almost all “minority outreach” in elections has elements of pandering, manipulation, tokenism and/or desperation. Joe Biden’s “if you vote for him, you ain’t black” comment is much more of a common sentiment in the major parties than anybody would ever admit. Minority groups are treated like they vote with one mind, and even incredibly qualified people like Barack Obama, Colin Powell, and Condoleezza Rice are placed in prominent positions – in part – as “leverage” because of their race.

From what I learned in the last couple of days there are only a few states that matter anyway in this election. Many states are already decided and it comes like always to a battle between urban democrats and suburban or countryside republicans in certain states. Do New Yorkers or people from L.A. try to motivate those people to go vote or why are they posting all these videos and pictures on Facebook Instagram and co?

I voted third party this year for the Libertarian Candidate Jo Jorgensen. I was not a major fan of either mainstream candidate and think that the lesser of two evils is still evil. Some may say it’s throwing your vote away voting third party, but in my opinion the disruption of the two party system needs to start somewhere and it starts with getting a respectable amount of votes for third party candidates. Biden will win in my state (Illinois) anyway no matter what.

2 Likes

Maybe in 2016 I agreed with you. Hillary and Trump were two terrible choices. But when the option is between Biden and Trump I don’t see how the vote isn’t between good and evil. Not evil vs more evil.

Stop living in a world of black or white. Libertarians are just republicans by another name anyway.

The two party system sucks but the grass isn’t always greener. Any multi-party system like the UK requires creating a coalition that eventually falls into two groups anyway.

1 Like

I don’t ascribe to the “a vote for Jorgensen is a vote for Trump” (or, in 2016, “a vote for Stein is a vote for Trump”) theory. They’re not Trump’s votes or Biden’s votes. Each vote belongs to the citizen who casts it (or chooses not to). It is up to the candidate to be someone that a person wants to vote for. Just being “not the other guy” isn’t always enough.

Say what you will about the Electoral College and everything else that may be imperfect about the American system. But if everybody settles in to the “you can only pick the Democrat or Republican” way of thinking, that’s a big part of the system that we’re taking away from the people and giving back to the establishment.