POLLOCK'S NEWS UPDATE: Finn Balor scheduled to take sabbatical

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/07/16/pollocks-news-update-finn-balor-scheduled-to-take-sabbatical/

Photo courtesy: WWE

POST IT NOTES

**Wai Ting and I return tonight with Rewind-A-SmackDown, which will be our seventh show together since Saturday and then will be off until Thursday. We will have a full review of tonight’s show from Worcester and take your feedback & questions.

**This week’s edition of Rewind-A-Raw was a packed show with our review of Raw, two title matches set for SummerSlam, the return of Bray Wyatt, the audience turning on the women’s four-way match, and lots more. Plus, we discussed Bayley’s appearance on ‘Fair Game’ with Kristine Leahy, ROH streaming television tapings on Honor Club, the updated participants for BOLA, and lots more.

**Our G1 Climax podcasts will resume later this week with podcasts coming out Thursday, Friday, and Saturday on the POST Wrestling Café for all members. You can follow along with our G1 coverage and past shows on the site.

**We also have a sale going on throughout the G1 with 20% off all items in the POST Wrestling Store, including shirts, snapback hats, and coffee sleeves.

WRESTLING NEWS

**The SmackDown and 205 Live tapings will be at the DCU Center in Worcester, Massachusetts tonight. It’s an arena most-remembered as the site of Mankind’s first WWF title win when he defeated The Rock on a taped edition of Raw on December 29, 1998, and aired the following week against a live Monday Nitro from the Georgia Dome where WCW announced Foley was winning the title that night. As far as significant moments during the WWF vs. WCW battle from 1995-2001, the night of January 4, 1999, was a major one with the WWF title change and WCW countering with a bait-and-switch teasing a rematch from Starrcade between Kevin Nash and Bill Goldberg and instead, having Hulk Hogan return and win the title in the infamous ‘Finger Poke of Doom’.

Below are the matches and segments announced for tonight’s tapings:
*Town Hall segment with Shane McMahon and the SmackDown locker room
*The IIconics vs. The Kabuki Warriors for the WWE women’s tag titles
*Mandy Rose & Sonya Deville vs. Ember Moon & TBA
*Daniel Bryan will make an announcement
*Jack Gallagher vs. Chad Gable on 205 Live – this is a rematch from 205 Live on June 11th, which was excellent and Gable’s first appearance on the show since that match
*Samir Singh vs. Akira Tozawa on 205 Live

**TMZ has received additional information regarding Jeff Hardy’s arrest on Saturday for public intoxication. They reported that Hardy was passed out in a stairwell and admitted to drinking vodka prior. Hardy paid a fine of $153, was released later that day and the case is considered closed unless Hardy chose to fight the ticket. Corporal Tom Vest of the Myrtle Beach Police Department in South Carolina informed POST Wrestling that the arrest took place at 11:13 am local time on Saturday and that Hardy was arrested ‘without incident’.

**Ryan Satin at Pro Wrestling Sheet reported Monday night that WWE performer Finn Balor has requested and been granted time off, which will take place sometime in August. We were able to confirm this news that Balor will be receiving time off. On Raw, an angle was shot with Bray Wyatt returning and laying out Balor with Sister Abigail. According to Satin’s reporting, Balor had requested two months off.

**Mickie James underwent surgery on her right ACL on Tuesday in Birmingham, Alabama. Her husband Nick Aldis posted an update that the procedure was a ‘complete success’. James has been out of action since early June.

**WWE has added more names for next week’s Raw Reunion in Tampa, Florida. The updated list of names being promoted include Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Kurt Angle, Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Ted DiBiase, Shane Helms, Christian, The Boogeyman, Jimmy Hart, Santino Marella, D-Von Dudley, Eric Bischoff, Mick Foley, The Godfather, Road Dogg, Sid, Pat Patterson, Gerald Brisco, Lilian Garcia, Alundra Blayze, Mark Henry, Kelly Kelly, Rikishi, and Ron Simmons. The show takes place from the Amalie Arena next Monday night on the USA Network.

**After the first four nights of the G1 Climax, one of the glaring observations on the New Japan World broadcast has been the reduced role of Chris Charlton. On the two shows from Ota Ward Gymnasium, Charlton was present at the broadcast booth but largely to translate promos rather than call the matches with Kevin Kelly and Rocky Romero. Dave Meltzer reported on Wrestling Observer Radio that this was not a call by New Japan but from outside forces. There has been a lot of support for Charlton because he has become a popular member of New Japan’s broadcast team through encyclopedic knowledge of Japanese professional wrestling, ability to recall backstories on the fly, and also pick up on the significance of a maneuver that may have some historical significance that tells a deeper story. He was not part of Monday’s show in Hokkaido but also wasn’t scheduled to be at all the G1 events this summer.

**We want to send our best wishes to Harley Race, who was hospitalized over the weekend and had to miss a convention appearance in Knoxville, Tennessee. Race was on his way to Knoxville and was undergoing some issues and needed to be checked out and had some tests run. As of Monday afternoon, he was still in the hospital, but his people didn’t release any specifics regarding what the health issue is.

**The Minneapolis Star-Tribune reported that former AWA, WWF, and WCW wrestler John Nord a.k.a. The Berzerker has been put on probation for five-years. Nord has been arrested seven times for driving under the influence of drugs, primarily from painkillers. The report added that Nord is in a wheelchair and dealing with ALS. There was a push from the prosecution for Nord to face prison time, but it was argued he would need to be in an assisted-living facility for the rest of his life. As part of the probation agreement, Nord is not allowed to drive and will return to court in three months to update the judge on his condition.

**Rey Fenix has been added to the list of participants for PWG’s Battle of Los Angeles tournament this September at The Globe Theatre.

**MLW has announced a television deal with StarTimes in Africa to broadcast their weekly Fusion television program, beginning later this summer.

**This Thursday, AAA is holding a card from Aguascalientes at 8:30 pm Eastern headlined by Dr. Wagner Jr., Pentagon Jr. & Psycho Clown vs. Blue Demon Jr., Rey Escorpion & Texano Jr. Cody will be working the show and teaming with MJF against Daga and Taurus, as well. The promotion is gearing up for TripleMania on August 3rd.

**MLW has announced that Teddy Hart will defend the MLW middleweight title against MJF at Never Say Never on Thursday, July 25, at the Melrose Ballroom in New York City. They have also added a match between Low Ki and Jimmy Yuta. The television tapings are headlined by a rematch for the MLW title with Jacob Fatu defending against Tom Lawlor.

**Impact Wrestling sent out an email to those that purchased Slammiversary on Fite TV. The email includes a code to get three-months of free access to Impact Plus with the creation of an account including your e-mail address.

**The WWE Network has added the following ECW specials to the streaming service:
*The Night the Line Was Crossed (Feb. 5, 1994)
*Hardcore Heaven (Aug. 13, 1994)
*ECW When Worlds Collide (May 14, 1994)
*Hostile City Showdown (June 24, 1994)
*November to Remember (November 5, 1994)
*3 Way Dance (April 8, 1995)
*Gangstas Paradise (Sept. 16, 1995)
*Holiday Hell (Dec. 29, 1995)
*House Party (Jan. 5, 1996)
*Big Apple Blizzard Blast (Feb. 3, 1996)
*Massacre on Queens Blvd (April 13, 1996)
*Hostile City Showdown (April 20, 1996)

**The Athletic has an extensive feature on Lex Luger with comments from Luger, Steve Borden, Lanny Poffo, Jim Ross, Nikita Koloff, and others. They also spoke with Steve Huelette and John Pat, the brother and half-brother of ‘Miss’ Elizabeth Hulette, who died in 2003.

**Konosuke Takeshita won the KO-D Openweight title from Tetsuya Endo in the main event of DDT’s Peter Pan card on Monday. The card also featured Shinya Aoki submitting Danshoku Dino in the fourth round of their match.

**Terry Gordy died on this day in 2001 at the age of 40.

**Game Changer Wrestling has announced that Josh Barnett will wrestle at Bloodsport 2 on Saturday, September 14, in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

**The WWE stock closed at $72.38 on Tuesday.

**C*4 is running a special charity show on Friday, August 16th at St. Anthony’s Hall in Ottawa, Ontario with 100% of the ticket sales being donated to the Canadian Cancer Society. The show will be headlined by Cody & MJF taking on TDT (Tabarnak De Team).

**Colt Cabana has a brief cameo in Stu Stone’s Jack of All Trades documentary that is now available on Netflix. The premise of the documentary looks at the fall of the baseball card trading industry and how it affected Stone’s father, who was deeply involved in the business.

**Here are the results from ECCW’s card from the Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver from this past Saturday, which the promotion listed as a sell out: Travis Williams won a fatal four-way over David Starr, Beef Boy & Judas Icarus, Ravenous Randy & Fergie & Bishop defeated Nicole Matthews & The Voros Twins, Brody King over Eddie Osbourne, The Grindhouse kept the ECCW tag titles in a five-team Falls Count Anywhere match, Brian Pillman Jr. and Kevin Sullivan fought to a no contest, and Artemis Spencer defeated TJP to keep the ECCW title.

MMA NEWS

**Dana White’s Tuesday Night Contender Series is back tonight at 8 pm Eastern on Fight Pass with the following fights scheduled and weigh-in results:
*Stephen Regman (9-3, 184.5) vs. Antonio Arroyo (8-2, 185.5)
*Armando Villarreal (5-1, 135) vs. Ode Osbourne (7-2, 135.5)
*Don’Tale Mayes (6-2, 254) vs. Ricardo Prasel (10-1, 239)
*Lance Lawrence (5-0, 145) vs. Kevin Syler (8-0, 152.5*) – Syler missed weight by 6.5 pounds
*Brendan Allen (11-3, 185) vs. Aaron Jeffrey (6-1, 185.5)

G1 REVIEWS
Night 1: https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/07/07/g1-climax-29-post-show-opening-night-okada-vs-tanahashi-free-preview/ (Tanahashi vs. Okada) – FREE SHOW
Night 2: https://www.patreon.com/posts/28351982 (White vs. Goto)
Night 3: https://www.patreon.com/posts/28374580 (Tanahashi vs. KENTA)
Night 4: https://www.patreon.com/posts/28403937 (Naito vs. Taichi)

RAR 7/15/19: The Cross-Branded All-Star Top 10 Battle Royal
John Pollock and Wai Ting review WWE Raw featuring an All-Star Top 10 Battle Royal to determine Brock Lesnar’s opponent for the Universal title at SummerSlam.
https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/07/16/rar-7-15-19-the-cross-branded-all-star-top-10-battle-royal/

WWE EXTREME RULES POST SHOW
John Pollock & Wai Ting review WWE Extreme Rules headlined by Seth Rollins & Becky Lynch defending their championships against Baron Corbin & Lacey Evans.
https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/07/15/wwe-extreme-rules-2019-post-show/
CRUEL SUMMER: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (2004)
WH Park and Joey Bay discuss the finals of NJPW’s 14th annual G1 Climax tournament: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi from August 15, 2004.
https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/07/14/cruel-summer-14-hiroyoshi-tenzan-vs-hiroshi-tanahashi-2004-w-joey-bay/
AEW FIGHT FOR THE FALLEN POST SHOW
John Pollock & Wai Ting review AEW Fight for the Fallen from Jacksonville, FL headlined by The Young Bucks vs. Cody & Dustin Rhodes.
https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/07/14/aew-fight-for-the-fallen-post-show/
EVOLVE 131: 10TH ANNIVERSARY POST SHOW
Braden Herrington and Davie Portman are back with a very special episode of upNXT! The BDE chat all about EVOLVE 131: 10th Anniversary from Philadelphia.
https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/07/14/evolve-131-10th-anniversary-post-show/
CRUEL SUMMER: HIROYOSHI TENZAN VS. JUN AKIYAMA (2003)
WH Park reunites with his former Japanese Audio Wrestling co-host, JoJo Remy to discuss one of their favorite G1 Climax finals, Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Pro Wrestling NOAH’s Jun Akiyama from August 17, 2003.
https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/07/13/cruel-summer-13-hiroyoshi-tenzan-vs-jun-akiyama-2003-w-jojo-remy/
CAFÉ HANGOUT
On this week’s Café Hangout, John Pollock and Wai Ting talk to Wrestling Arcade’s Brendan Docherty and Rob Naylor about their new book. Court Bauer then joins us to discuss MLW’s first PPV, Saturday Night SuperFight.
https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/07/12/mlws-court-bauer-wrestling-arcade-cafe-hangout/
REWIND-A-WAI #40: NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11 (Patreon)

John Pollock and Wai Ting review NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11 featuring Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega in their legendary 6-star match from the Tokyo Dome on January 4th, 2017.
https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/07/11/rewind-a-wai-40-njpw-wrestle-kingdom-11/
upNXT 7/11/19: “Shirai Gets Me High”

The BDE chat all about WWE NXT including Io Shirai’s new “heel” look, Boa vs. Jordan Myles from the NXT Breakout Tournament, The Brit-Am Brawlers vs. The Street Profits for the NXT Tag Team Championship and Damien Priest in action.
https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/07/11/upnxt-7-11-19-shirai-gets-me-high/

Browse the new POST Wrestling Store
https://store.postwrestling.com

Subscribe to POST Wrestling
https://postwrestling.com/subscribe

POST Wrestling Forum
https://forum.postwrestling.com

Support our Patreon – The POST Wrestling Café
http://www.patreon.com/POSTwrestling

Follow us
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube

3 Likes

I might be unfair of me to gripe, as I have unsubscribed from the Network and was never much of a weekly viewer anyway, but my reaction to this was a visceral, “Uggggh.”

Why? Maybe we’ll actually get some promos from people who need some spotlight. I’m looking forward to it.

*TMZ has received additional information regarding Jeff Hardy’s arrest on Saturday for public intoxication. They reported that Hardy was passed out in a stairwell and admitted to drinking vodka prior. Hardy paid a fine of $153, was released later that day and the case is considered closed unless Hardy chose to fight the ticket. Corporal Tom Vest of the Myrtle Beach Police Department in South Carolina informed POST Wrestling that the arrest took place at 11:13 am local time on Saturday and that Hardy was arrested ‘without incident’

Passed out drunk in a stairwell at 11:13 am? Sounds like Jeff might have a serious alcohol problem.

40 year old father of 2. We can probably eliminate the “think”. Hope he gets the help he needs.

So he passed out while he was walking home…meh…I’ve done that before, sometimes your legs get tired and you need to sit down and then your eyes get heavy.

It’s no biggie…not behind a wheel or was malicious towards anyone.

Ummm…it is a big deal. If you have kids you shouldn’t be drinking enough to pass out on the way home. If you have history as an addict it is even worse.

Legally it is not a big deal, but as far as life is concerned it is not a good sign.

1 Like

Well in the eyes of the law it’s not…moral grandstanding has nothing to do with that, soooo no biggie.

He’s a grown man and it’s legal, and having kids should have no bearing on that distinction.

It’s still a free country afterall.

Did someone just hope that Jeff Hardy gets help and did someone else try to argue against it?

3 Likes

Argue against someone getting help? Never said that…said it was no big deal…it’s a misdemeanor and he spent time in a drunk tank.

Someone trudging out someone’s history because no one should allowed to move on from their past sins has nothing to do with that…

Thoughts and prayers have nothing to do with what I said.

I think you’re just arguing for the sake of arguing. This gimmick is getting old man.

6 Likes

Staying on point is arguing for the sake of it?

Since when?

When did you start arguing with everyone about everything? December 26, 2017 on this board.

2 Likes

The gimmick was old five years ago on old LAW forum.

1 Like

Having a differing opinions isn’t arguing…defending your point when being multi quoted by people who took great umbrage to said opine is not arguing for the sake of it.

Responding to being quoted isn’t arguing.

Just because you don’t like what someone says, doesn’t mean you can falsely label someone or make accusations.

I’ve never been the one to label someone a troll, a gimmick poster, an alt, a WWE slappy, a contratian to anyone…and yet I’m not afforded the same level of respect because some people don’t like what I say.

And people wonder why social discourse is at an all time low.

Thanks for making me go on a tangent…I’m sure you have the ammo to hand out infraction now

Except it is illegal, hence the arrest. Just not a felony. And it being a big deal has everything to do with his past when his past has addiction issues in it. Addicts don’t move past their past, they struggle with it. So being passed out drunk in a stair well is cause for concern. I’m not saying he should be fired or jailed for it. Just that it isn’t good and is a big deal, he has a history of poor decisions.

Honestly I’m concerned for anyone who passes out on the street, especially if they are past say college age, that is an extreme level of drinking, people are free to do it, but it isn’t a healthy/safe choice

4 Likes

And I just think if it isn’t a danger to the public and it’s legal, adults should be allowed to do whatever they want.

That’s all…I’ll speak no more.

Again allowed to do and cause for concern are not in the same ball park. You are being obtuse. I don’t think people should drink themselves unconscious, I don’t think they should be banned from doing so.

I don’t think it is a good thing if know addicts abuse substances, but it should not be illegal.

Things can be legal and a big deal all at the same time. People can legally spend themselves into crushing debt, that doesn’t make doing so “no big deal”

That is the difference here, you think “we’ll it isn’t a felony, so no big deal.” Where as I think “This could be him falling off the wagon as a recovering addict, which is a big deal.”
Were I his employer I would see this as evidence that he continues to not make good decisions, which I would consider a big deal. As a promoter I at least would not book him in main event angles, or even mid card because I cannot trust that he won’t screw it up.

Should he be in jail, no. Do I think he should probably get some help (which to me means it is a big deal.) yeah I probably do.

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s your gimmick or personality disorder or whatever. You argued with someone who hoped that Hardy gets help. Like what the fuck man.

Never argued anything about getting help…it was about how big of a deal this was.

Not my fault you couldn’t get past moral grandstanding and now flat out virtue signalling to see I was talking about the situation not Hardy

Second reply was how he was in his rights to go out and get drunk as an adult…again, nothing about the man himself, still on the situation.

Hence the whole “it’s no biggie”…

I’ve don’t nothing but talk about the situation and dismissed the stuff about Hardy’s personal life because that had nothing to do with what I was talking about.

The assumptions made here are the reason this entire thing was derailed…nothing I said was off point nor had to do with what you assumed