POLLOCK'S NEWS UPDATE: WWE running in Florida gains major traction

I haven’t seen any evidence that the networks are involved in this. As far as I know it stands that there might be a clause in the WWE contracts with the two networks that limits taped episodes and the networks might be enforcing the clause during an unprecedented time. But you would imagine the other sports have similar contracts with the networks and they’re not providing live content, so it would be strange for the networks to only enforce the clause on WWE and not the other professional sports, would it not?

To me this is more of a desperate action of a public company who’s stock has fallen about 60% over the course of a year, controlled by a person who just blew a fortune on a fantasy football league that went bankrupt for the second time.

1 Like

That is actually perfect. Great example. And completely fair to criticize them. The flip side is that their employees and their supply-chain partners’ employees will also suffer, and that is something millions are facing. As long as we don’t ignore that side of the conversation.

Maybe I feel bad for the footlocker employees and service workers in a way I should not. It’s really complicated.

I am glad you used an example. Because within a few weeks Footlocker, and other retailers and businesses are going to be forced (like WWE) to make a decision on opening or trying to operate and it will be very interesting to see what the public reaction is to who opens up, will people even go shopping, go to restaurants.

It goes without say that there can be no economy in a society depleted by a health crisis. Not to diminish the seriousness of what is taking place today, like Alex explained above, but are we burying out heads in the sand about the fact that at some point (too soon) businesses are going to be open. The conversation around that is happening with WWE right now. It will happen with others soon. It’s a 360 conversation, and I took objection to it being very one-sided.

The PGA Tour is attempting to restart in June. I will be interested in the blowback they receive compared to WWE, as well as the states and local municipalities that allow them to operate, as well as the reaction to their independent contractors now being forced to make decisions about returning to their chosen profession.

Totally feel for the service workers and employees for this. But I’ll never feel bad for Investors / Shareholders who make bad decisions. WWE have been in business for 40 years and cannot handle a few months off? If a person was in the same boat you’d tell them they should have “saved for a rainy day”. Come on.

3 Likes

Yeah man, I really mean to speak on the WWE situation highlighting the employees and talent.

Why WWE is motivated to do this I concede as a losing argument.

But if the result is their employees and wrestlers keep their jobs, well, call me a mark.

Signing off, thanks @POSTmaster

1 Like

I also think that there is a big difference for WWE talent and a footlocker employee. WWE talent is far less likely living paycheck to paycheck as they are all making high 5 figures or more. Not minimum wage. Also many other businesses are making tons of adjustments like I took my dogs to the vet today, had to put them on different leashes outside and hand them off 6’ away, then wait in my car while they were cared for. Restaurants are doing curbside only. WWE has cut out fans, and are in a single location but some performers are still traveling. They should have done tapings. If the networks balked I blame the networks as well. I never blame the employees for going to work. So if footlocker said we are going normal operations I would complain, if they did pick up orders paid online or over the phone, it wouldn’t be great but it would be a much better solution. Even better if they were closed more days and only filling orders some days. I get that the economy is important, but WWE is a much less important more frivolous pursuit than most

1 Like

Today even the biggest news outlet “Spiegel” (=Mirror) in Germany released an article about wrestling being now “essential business” in a popular position on their homepage. Usually they don’t even report about wrestling at all.
I think they had some pretty good background speaking about the relationship of the McMahon and Trump families as well as the donation by the “America First Action PAC”.

The WWE being considered essential is the problem I’m having.

Like what business is non essential if two guys rolling around in a ring has to happen?

1 Like

The ones without the funds to pay off government officials.

3 Likes

I know that the US political system is in shambles, but a day after your wife makes an 18.5 million dollar contribution to your campaign, the governor deems you an essential service?!?!
Yes, it’s legal. But if that doesn’t just reek of bullshit

2 Likes

Ding ding ding…

1 Like

I’m amazed this hasn’t been discussed (unless I have missed it). Vinnie Mac and Dana White advising the POTUS. It must be embarrassing if you are a sane American to see what your country has become.

1 Like

“WHATS UP GOP? So, who has the first question?”

1 Like

There’s like 100s of Advisors. Vince is one of half a dozen people in the sports vertical. Bob Kraft and Jerry Jones also.

There’s a few members that weren’t even aware they ate on this council. If that doesn’t scream “competence”, I don’t know what does. Governmenting!

I been a ‘’ lurker’’ guest for awhile, but you MJ (been on fire this week)have push my interest into signing up for the forum. So thanks.

Base on the Stage 1 (really Stage 1.5 with arenas Full) ),Stage 2(Schools), Stage 3(Senior living) plan from President Trump, Florida and Texas will reopen (along with other Republican controlled states sates like Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Iowa and others) in Stage 1 by the first full week of May.

MI Governor will likely be heavily pushed into reopening from John Elkann (FIAT Chrysler),Bill Ford (Ford) into reopening despite being an hotspot by the second week of May because they are bleeding a billion dollars a week with no new Truck (most importantly ) and vehicle production. So most of U.S. will be an experiment in May.

So, reading the news and it appears to me to me that perhaps no country in the “free” world has learned the lesson of this PANDEMIC for two months now. Just check what is happening today in Spain, where they decided to lighten up the measures because of Easter. They were in top 3 in the world for most deciesed per day and they’ve decided to let those people go to church, work or whatnot. They are going back to the shitfest FAST, in 24 hours.

And they are not the only country where I see this happening. Are all those “politicians”, “leaders” so fucking BLIND? Mental? Or they are just fucking CORRUPT as shit?

@MJfromNJ I see a lot of common folks like you with familiar mentality too. Open your eyes. This is no joke.

Yesterday THOUSANDS of people were leaving my city for the holidays, despite the government warnings not to do so. After the shitstorm happened, the same fucking politicians closed the city since 00:00 AM. When you KNOW what these people (aka sheep) will most likely do during these holidays, why you had to wait till they do it? Is this leadership?

I am sorry for my language, but I am not sorry. This is fucking frustrating for people that are trying to do their best to stay home and not go out for the sake of their own and everybody else’ sake, so this thing can be kept as much under control as possible and pass as light for everybody as it can.

And than there are the other fucking morons that will GO OUT NO MATTER WHAT.

Fucking unbelievable.

4 Likes

Any “stage” that doesn’t involve safely reopening schools is a waste of time. We’re just going to be able to send all of these people back to work when their kids are all home with no childcare options? And if kids still aren’t safe, why is it ok to send their parents out into public where they could still pick up COVID and bring it home? That’s like how the NCAA is saying college campuses can’t reopen, but it might be ok to have the football players come back.

(Yes, I realize it’s dumb to get into the specifics when the whole “plan” is ridiculous in the first place. But the above part is the one that jumped out to me in particular.)

1 Like

Well said. And no need to apologise for your views.

I had the same rant a week or so ago. Until people listen - this will continue to be a struggle.

Can everyone just sit down and struggle like the rest of us and we can get through it together

1 Like

I’m of the opinion that everywhere just needs to lock shit down for 3 months. You don’t leave, other than once every 2 weeks for groceries.

2 Likes

@RocketKing you are 100% correct on this. And it’s why the idea of re-opening is such a flawed idea. Would teachers even go back to school? Many are older and in some areas would be in schools with thousands of kids. There is no way to sanitize a school thoroughly enough every day or even every week to manage the risk.