POST MOVIE REVIEW: Doctor Strange (2016)

Originally published at POST MOVIE REVIEW: Doctor Strange (2016) - POST Wrestling | WWE AEW NXT NJPW Podcasts, News, Reviews

This show is available for all POST Wrestling Café patrons – click here to download OR check your podcast app if you have subscribed to the RSS feed provided to all members.

John Pollock and Wai Ting review the fourteenth Marvel Cinematic Universe film, Doctor Strange (2016).

In perhaps Marvel’s most challenging film, concepts such as the multiverse, mirror dimensions and the astral plane are introduced into the MCU. The film’s subject matter leads John and Wai to have an unique conversation about mortality and lawfulness in their lives.

Plus, we discuss who Marvel considered for the titular role besides Benedict Cumberbatch, as well as the controversy surrounding the casting of Tilda Swinton as The Ancient One amidst accusations of Hollywood “whitewashing”.

Synopsis from Google:

Dr. Stephen Strange’s (Benedict Cumberbatch) life changes after a car accident robs him of the use of his hands. When traditional medicine fails him, he looks for healing, and hope, in a mysterious enclave. He quickly learns that the enclave is at the front line of a battle against unseen dark forces bent on destroying reality. Before long, Strange is forced to choose between his life of fortune and status or leave it all behind to defend the world as the most powerful sorcerer in existence.

Trailer:

To listen to our previous MCU Movie Reviews, click here.

Support any tier of the POST Wrestling Café Patreon to listen to this show and our other bonus content.

Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Spotify | Google Play | Stitcher | TuneIn | Mac & PC | RSS

Discuss: https://forum.postwrestling.com

Support us on Patreon – The POST Wrestling Café: http://www.patreon.com/POSTwrestling

T-Shirts & Hats: https://store.postwrestling.com

Follow: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube

3 Likes

Perhaps unsurprisingly, famous MCU actor, Georges St Pierre, has stated that this is his favourite Marvel film.

I actually quite liked the way that Strange takes down Dormammu. I suppose I always appreciate when the ultimate conflict gets settled in a way other then a big battle. Here, Strange outsmarts Dormammu and avoids a conflict that he could not have realistically won, while setting up an understandable conflict with Mordo in future films.

1 Like

You guys got this up fast! I love these marvel reviews!

Loved Wai bringing up to controversy of the casting of Tilda Swinton. On white washing with Asian roles Scarlett Johansson in Ghost in the Shell, Emma Stone in a movie called Aloha where her name was Allison Ng, Finn Jones in Iron Fist. That’s why the success of Crazy Rich Asians even if it may have been a bad movie showed that Asians in the lead can be successful.

3 Likes

Finn Jones wasn’t white washing Danny Rand is a white character, so that is only white washing if Marvel white washed when they created the character. Scar Jo I had mixed feelings as physically she likely looks more like the character than most Japanese women, but that is an issue with Anime drawing people that often don’t appear Asian. Then again I generally don’t want live action versions of animation.

That said whitewashing is an on going issue.

It’s Monday morning and my work isn’t getting done because I’m contemplating my existence and eventual death. This is too heavy man. I need a coffee and a bei·gl.

3 Likes