POST Movie Review suggestions for John & Wai

I thoroughly enjoyed John and Wai’s review on The Dissident on Friday morning and I would like to help them out on giving them suggestions on future reviews. They mentioned that they would like to stick to single movies rather than a franchise. I do have a couple of ideas that I’ve seen myself that I would like to recommend. @johnpollock @wai0937

• Patriots Day (2013) starring Mark Wahlberg which follows about the Boston Marthon Bombings in 2013 and the subsequent terrorist manhunt.

• Richard Jewell (2019) - depicts the July 27 Centennial Olympic Park bombing and its aftermath, as security guard Richard Jewell finds a bomb during the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, and alerts authorities to evacuate, only to later be wrongly accused of having placed the device himself.

• The Trial of the Chicago 7 (2020) - A docudrama on Netflix following the Chicago Seven, a group of anti–Vietnam War protesters charged with conspiracy and crossing state lines with the intention of inciting riots at the 1968 Democratic National Convention.

• Remember the Titans (2000) - The biographical sports film starring Denzel Washington in which his character tries to integrate his football team no matter the skin color. You can watch on Disney+.

• Miracle (2004) - starring Kurt Russell which tells the story of the Miracle on Ice at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, NY. The U.S. Men’s Ice Hockey team scoring an upset against the Soviet Union to bring them to the gold medal finals which they also won that year. Also on Disney+

Any other idea from people in the forum, please add them below. And please keep it to John and Wai’s request on a single movie.

1 Like
  1. The Wrestler
  2. Wrestling with Shadows/Survival of the Hitman double bill (cheating, I know!)
  3. Paradise Alley
  4. Parasite
  5. All The President’s Men/The Post
  6. The Matrix
  7. Fast 9
  8. The Condemned
  9. See No Evil
  10. Going Clear

For some reason I’d love to hear them review stuff from the 80’s. So ET, Back to the Future, Goonies etc.

Maybe some tv shows that had wrestlers make cameos, such as King Kong Bundy on Married with Children or the rock on 70’s show etc.

I think Kill Bill would be a cool one to review as well.

1 Like

Lol, I’m pretty sure @johnpollock is done watching anything screwjob related.

3 Likes

The King of Kong! I know Pollock has already seen it, but it’s good! Plus it will be worth it just to hear you guys drag that scumbag Billy Mitchell.

220px-Americanmovie

1 Like

This was something to think about, but I went with the first John Wick movie. When you think about it, this was a movie that went well above and beyond what many people thought it would. I remember watching this at a small multiplex in Winnipeg, thinking, “I’ve heard a few things about this movie, can’t be too bad”, and it was Tuesday, late night, perfect mood for this. What I got was something that was familiar enough that I knew what to look for (Hong Kong style action, established character actors, a few actors I didn’t expect) but the freshness of the story and how simple it was, is it’s strongest point. Keanu Reeves had done the impossible, defining action movies 3 times in a career. (Speed, The Matrix, and John Wick). Also, a brief cameo by Kevin Nash. With a horrible Russian accent.

1 Like

Selfishly I’d say two movies I love and think about a lot - Bamboozled (2000) and 12 Monkeys (1995). Both really underrated, still hold up today and examine themes that are still relevant.

1 Like

51NZC51TNKL.AC

Was flipping through the channels today and Bloodsport came on, that’s a movie that would fit perfectly with the style of movies they review. That’s now my vote.

1 Like

Do the box office leader from each year of your births sequentially until the present day.