POST NEWS UPDATE: Antonio Inoki discusses his cardiac amyloidosis diagnosis

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/07/26/post-news-update-antonio-inoki-discusses-his-cardiac-amyloidosis-diagnosis/

If any of the quotes from the following podcasts or video interviews are used, please credit those sources and provide an H/T and link back to POST Wrestling for the transcriptions.

** Yahoo! Japan has a write-up of an interview with pro wrestling legend Antonio Inoki that was published in Weekly Shincho’s July 23, 2020 issue. Inoki revealed to the publication that he is suffering from cardiac amyloidosis. This develops when an abnormal protein builds up in your organs and it can interfere with their normal functions. That protein can take the place of a heart muscle.

The article reads (transcription credit to Berry Meijer) that Inoki suspects it’s hereditary and he’s currently on medication to help combat it, but the medication is very expensive. Inoki is 77-years old.

“Last year, I was a little deaf and went to the hospital. At that time, I was asked to do various tests and it was found that I had an incurable disease called cardiac amyloidosis,” Inoki said. “It was around the fall of last year. It seems that the heart has a bad ‘membrane’ called amyloid. As a result, the function of the heart deteriorates, making it difficult to send sufficient blood to the whole body. For the past few years, even though I feel suffocating, I just thought it was due to aging. I wasn’t aware that a strange lesion called amyloid was involved. I’m taking medicine (Vindaquel) for that now, but this is ridiculously expensive. I still have to work for my medicine.”

** At STARDOM’s July 26th event, Itsuki Hoshino announced that she’ll be retiring from in-ring competition due to physical ailments. Hoshino is 22-years old. Below are the results from the 7/26/20 STARDOM show at Korakuen Hall:

– Saki Kashima def. Hina
– Oedo Tai (Natsuko Tora & Natsu Sumire) def. Tokyo Cyber Squad (Death Yama-san & Rina)
– Momo Watanabe def. Maika
– Himeka & Syuri def. Mayu Iwatani & Saya Iida
High Speed Championship — Three Way Match: AZM def. Riho (c) and Starlight Kid
Vacant Goddesses Of Stardom Championship: Saya Kamitani & Utami Hayashishita def. Tokyo Cyber Squad (Jungle Kyona & Konami)
Vacant Wonder Of STARDOM Championship: Giulia def. Tam Nakano by referee’s decision

** Chris Jericho hosted his ‘Saturday Night Special’ live stream on 7/26. Jericho revealed that in October, he is planning to release a book which will be a compilation of every match that he’s had in his career. He said that he went to publishers about the book but most believed that only a specific portion of an audience would understand the significance of it.

“So here’s the thing, so you guys know about the ultimate list of Jericho. 2, 732 matches now if you include last week’s and I have kept a record of it since I started, almost 30 years ago. I turned it over to Alex Marvez and he put it into the database which is then turned over to Pete Fornatale who has been my collaborator for four books now and we’re gonna put out a self-published book of every match of my career. So I’m telling you guys this now, we’re hoping to have it around October 2nd, 2020 which is the legit 30th anniversary of my career because nobody of my level of status in this industry or anywhere has kept a list of every match they’ve ever had and I have it. So I’m not saying I’m Ric Flair but this is the equivalent — Ric Flair had a list of all his matches. I think a lot of people would be interested in that. I know I would be and I have that now for my matches so, I went to a couple publishers, like, ‘Well that’s pretty esoteric for a demographic.’ I’m like, ‘You know what? I get it. Go f*ck your ass. I’m gonna do this on my own’ which I always do. So I actually have all the matches listed and I also gave them all a star rating.”

While on the topic of New Japan Pro-Wrestling, Jericho discussed EVIL becoming IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental Champion. Jericho recounted a conversation he had with Gedo nearly two years ago and Jericho claimed that Gedo told him that in about a year’s time, he was going to give EVIL a shot as champion.

“Gedo told me 18 months ago before I wrestled EVIL in Osaka which I really enjoyed the match by the way. I enjoyed all six of my New Japan matches. It was just a cool, magical time. EVIL was the one kind of wild card. I did not know much about him but I really enjoyed working with him. I thought he did a great job and Gedo told me, ‘Over the next year or so, we’re gonna give him a shot as the champ’ and lo and behold they do. They always have a plan there and so does AEW. Trust me, always got a plan,” Jericho smirked.

Transitioning over to All Elite Wrestling, Jericho stated that he’s never heard of Warhorse who’ll be challenging Cody for the TNT Championship this week. Jericho added that he had never heard of Eddie Kingston either but after seeing what Kingston could do on the microphone and in the ring, he’s now a fan.

“I’ve never heard of Warhorse, and I’ll tell you something else, I’ve never heard of Eddie Kingston either and when he showed up I was like, ‘Who is this guy? What’s the big deal?’ Oh it’s Eddie Kingston this, Eddie Kingston that. I’m like, ‘Never heard of him, no idea’ and I was a little bit like an L.A. Rock ‘n’ Roll crowd like Steve Harris said , and I watched the match, I thought he did a great job, his promo was great. His match was super hard-hitting and very strong style. Really, really enjoyed his match and I thought him and Cody did a great job so, I am now a fan of Eddie Kingston. So hopefully I can become a fan of Warhorse. Never heard of him but I’m looking forward to it.”

Another question asked of the former AEW World Champion was for his thoughts about NXT’s Karrion Kross. Jericho spoke highly of Kross and feels that WWE should make a quick transition for him from NXT to either RAW or SmackDown.

“Huge potential. He’s a mean looking guy, great package. Him and Scarlett, they look great, great ring entrance. I think over time as he gets to become a better worker, I think that he’s going to be very, very big in the WWE. But they need to get him out of NXT. NXT’s kinda, I don’t know. I think it’d be better to just have him in the WWE but they gotta build him up as they do so I think he’s gonna be a big star.”

** Former multi-time WWE Women’s Champion Melina guest appeared on Wrestle Addict Radio’s ‘Game Changer Podcast’. During their chat, Melina opened up about her brief stint with Lucha Underground. Melina appeared at the conclusion of season one of Lucha Underground to help John Morrison defeat Alberto El Patron. In the past, both Melina and Morrison have refuted stories that Melina was difficult to work with which is why her stint with the organization was so short. Melina recalled having to step away from school in order to work with Lucha Underground.

“They made such a big deal about getting me and using me for that final episode or for that season and I was like, ‘No, I don’t wanna do it’ because I was just, I don’t know. I was gonna only come back if it was for something major and then they got me on there. They finally convinced me the day of because I was like, ‘No, no, no, no’ and then they convinced me the day of to go and I was like, ‘Okay’ because John wanted me to go and I was like, ‘You know, he’s my man, I wanna go, I’m gonna support him, fine. Okay, I’ll do it,’ and then, when they said no to it, they’re like, ‘No, we’re not gonna give you a contract because this has already been done. We’ve seen you and John together’ and I was like, ‘Are you serious!? So you mean you’re not gonna hire me at all? I quit school for this,’ and I asked him, I was like, ‘I’m not gonna quit my schooling unless this is guaranteed.’ They’re like, ‘Yeah, yeah! We’re guaranteeing you. We’re getting the contract ready’ and I was like, ‘Okay, alright’ because I wanted to be a psychologist so I would’ve already had my degree already if I didn’t stop and so like it kills me because, even though it was a blessing because the traveling and going back in the indies — you have no idea, especially after COVID and quarantine, that was a blessing because I got to see — like everything happens for a reason so I’m not gonna knock it, but being able to travel around the world and meet all my fans and have these beautiful moments. I’m grateful for it so I’m grateful that I stopped school to be able to have these experiences because I would’ve been stuck behind a computer this whole entire time. But it’s just… the idea that they didn’t wanna use me was, ‘I’m cool if you didn’t wanna use me with John, but not at all?’ Because it was like all this trouble and all this trying to convince me to get back to do this, to not use me at all? And then I thought, ‘Okay, well everything happens for a reason’ and so I just let it go.”

** Former WWE Women’s Tag Team Champion Peyton Royce shared a personal story on her Instagram page about the mental health battles that she was dealing with in 2019 prior to winning the tag titles with Billie Kay at WrestleMania.

“This photo was taken about a year ago. I was so excited because I was a few weeks away from getting married, I was half of the WWE Women’s Tag Team Champions. Everything seemed to be incredible from the outside. But inside, I was dealing with the lowest low I’ve ever experienced. My mental health was suffering more than I had ever dealt with & I felt like I could not get myself together. I felt like I was letting so many people down including myself & I just couldn’t pick myself up.

I look at this photo & see someone faking confidence on her face because she knew the rest could be edited. The girl in this photo is a stranger to me now, thank goodness. She pops her head in every now & then to see if she can bring me back down but I do my best to politely ask her to 🤬 off!

Everyone is going through something. Be kind & know that everyone is dealing with whatever it is, the best they can. The more love, support & kindness we can show each other might help someone feel less alone. Even if they seem happy & confident like they’ve got it all together… They could be a fantastic fibber.”

** Heath Slater joined Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows and Rocky Romero on the newest edition of the Talk’n Shop podcast. Doc recounted driving with Heath to Skyway Studios for Slammiversary and Heath being nervous and asking questions such as if he were going to have to help put up the ring or did the venue have bathrooms.

“All that being said, this is some behind-the-scenes, great Heath Miller talk right here guys. Heath asked me two questions on the way to the IMPACT zone and they popped the sh*t out of me. Now remember, Heath has not been outside the WWE, the cradling arms of World Wrestling Entertainment in 14 years. So on the way to Skyway Studios, a multi-million dollar facility in Nashville — yeah this is Talk’n Shop brother. I get roasted all the time. I go, ‘What?’ I can tell he’s a little nervous. He goes, ‘Are they gonna have a bathroom here or what?’ I said, ‘For f*cks sakes. Like no, bring a shovel so you can dig a hole’ and as we’re pulling in, he’s 70 percent joking but a little bit of wonderment in his eyes said, ‘Aye man’ and I go, ‘Yeah bro?’ He goes, ‘Hey, we ain’t gonna have to help put the ring up or nothing are we?’ I said, ‘No, I think they’re gonna be very happy to have someone who’s been on TV as long as you. They won’t make you put the ring up or sh*t in the woods I don’t think.’”

** According to PWInsider, Teddy Hart’s court dates on numerous charges in Richmond, Virginia have been pushed back to September 10th. The delay is because of COVID-19.

** Connor Casey of Comicbook.com spoke with Johnny Gargano recently. Gargano stated that eventually, he and Candice LeRae want to have a child so it was important to them to be able to work together on-screen before Candice would have to take time off.

“So much fun. It’s so cool to be able to work together and we’ve always wanted to work together. And we’ve always wanted a chance to kind of just be together on screen ’cause we haven’t had that yet. Obviously, the way things are going. And with life in general… eventually we’re going to have a baby. And the way that works out is Candice won’t be able to wrestle for a long time when she has the baby. So we wanted to take this opportunity to actually get a chance to work together, be on-screen together, and if we don’t get a chance again, and we want to make the most of it.

And it’s just super fun to be able to just kind of bounce back off each other and just have ideas and throw it out there and do random stuff and film stuff together. ‘Cause for the longest time we were just doing our own thing and I would film this, I would do that, she would go over there, she’d do that. And now to be able to kind of just be in sync together and plan dream come true.”

** Beyond Wrestling ‘Two Weeks Notice’ Results (7/26/20) Atlantic City, New Jersey
Pre-Show
:
– SLADE def. Benjamin Carter

Main Card:
– Allie Kat def. Max Caster (w/ Bryce Donovan, Bobby Orlando & Bobby Jr.)
– Injustice (Myron Reed & Jordan Oliver) def. Bear Country (Bear Bronson & Bear Boulder)
– Wheeler Yuta def. Lee Moriarty
– Willow Nightingale def. Pinkie Sanchez
– Christian Casanova def. Blake Christian
– Tony Deppen, Nick Gage & Chris Dickinson def. Second Gear Crew (Mance Warner, Manders & Matthew Justice)
IWTV Championship: WARHORSE (c) vs. Rickey Shane Page via DQ

** Synergy Pro Wrestling is running an all-women’s tournament at the end of the year.

** Liv Morgan appeared on ‘Dead Meat’s’ YouTube channel to discuss the Child’s Play movie series.

** David Marquez noted on Twitter that he and the Championship Wrestling from Hollywood crew will be involved in the new NJPW Strong series. The show is being produced by the C.W.F.H. production team and Marquez along with Logan Chegg and co-directing the series.

** STARDOM announced the following names for their 5 Star Grand Prix which begins on August 8th and 9th at Korakuen Hall:

– Mayu Iwatani
– Tam Nakano
– Starlight Kid
– Natsuko Tora
– Saki Kashima
– Jungle Kyona
– Konami
– DEATH Yama-san
– Giulia
– Maika
– Syuri
– Himeka
– Momo Watanabe
– Utami Hayashishita
– AZM
– Saya Kamitani

** DDT Pro Wrestling ‘Ganbare Pro Killer Queen’ Results (7/26/20) Tokyo, Japan
– Shinichiro Tominaga def. Shin Suzuki
– Cherry def. HARUKAZE
– Shota & Yuna Manase def. Moeka Haruhi & Washi Sakurai
– Ken Ohka & Kouki Iwasaki def. Tetsuo Usui & Yasu Urano
Independent World Junior Heavyweight Championship: Hagane Shinnou def. Keisuke Ishii (c)

** Rusev shared a never-before-seen promo that he recorded while he was going by “Alexander Rusev”:

** Game Changer Wrestling is returning to Atlantic City, New Jersey on August 22nd for their ‘Tournament of Survival’ event.

** Sting, Bas Rutten, Butterbean, Rusty Coones, Naphil “I’m Tyrone” Hitson, Benny “The Jet” Urquidez, Bas Rutten, Lou Ferrigno, Tanoai Reed & Mike O’ Hearn were a part of a live stream with Rick Bassman.

** GCW ‘Homecoming’ Day One Results (7/25/20) Atlantic City, New Jersey
– Calvin Tankman def. Allie Kat, Jimmy Lloyd, Benjamin Carter, Matthew Justice and Lee Moriarty
– ACH def. Tre LaMar
– Chris Dickinson def. Mance Warner
– Christian def. Alex Zayne
– Alex Colon def. AJ Gray
– EFFY def. Nate Webb
– SHLAK def. Nick Gage
DDT Ironman Heavyweight Championship: Joey Janela def. Yoshihiko (c)
GCW World Championship: Rickey Shane Page (c) def. Homicide

** Synergy Pro Wrestling ‘Garden State Invitational Tournament Results (7/25/20) Hillsborough Township, New Jersey
Garden State Invitational Tournament First Round: KTB def. Simon Grimm
Garden State Invitational Tournament First Round: Tony Deppen def. Gregory Iron
Garden State Invitational Tournament First Round: Jordan Oliver def. Myron Reed
Garden State Invitational Tournament First Round: Anthony Greene def. Gary Jay
Vacant Synergy Pro Cruiserweight Crown — Triple Threat Match: TJ Crawford def. Ellis Taylor and Kasey Catal
Garden State Invitational Tournament Semi Final: Tony Deppen def. KTB
Garden State Invitational Tournament Semi Final: Jordan Oliver def. Anthony Greene
Synergy Pro Wrestling Championship: Frightmare (c) def. Desean Pratt
Triple Threat Match: Joey Silver def. Charles Mason and Joshua Wells
Garden State Invitational Tournament Final: Tony Deppen def. Jordan Oliver

** JTG, formerly of Cryme Tyme is one of many names setting themselves up to challenge Cody for the TNT Championship in the future.

** Mia Yim streamed Mario Maker 2 on her YouTube channel.

** A throwback episode of Reality of Wrestling television aired on the promotion’s YouTube channel.

** SEAdLINNNG ‘Yoshiko Produce’ Results (7/26/20) Shin-Kiba 1st RING
– Risa Sera & Ryo Mizunami def. Honori Hana & Tsukasa Fujimoto
Three Way Match: Kaho Kobayashi def. Mayumi Ozaki and Riko Kaiju
– Makoto & Yuu def. Arisa Nakajima & Miyako Matsumoto
– Aja Kong, ASUKA & Saki Akai def. Ayame Sasamura, Hiroyo Matsumoto & Yoshiko

** The Miz and Carmella are the next guests on the R-Truth Game Show that’ll air on the WWE Network on 7/28.

** New Zealand outlet ‘Stuff’ has a feature story up about independent wrestler Niwa McIlroy.

** Former WWE talent and ring announcer for Alberto El Patron, Ricardo Rodriguez was the most recent guest on the ‘Straight Outta The Bodega’ podcast.

If any of the quotes from the following podcasts or video interviews are used, please credit those sources and provide an H/T and link back to POST Wrestling for the transcriptions.