POST NEWS UPDATE: Cain Velasquez, Tyson Fury set for WWE presser

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/10/09/post-news-update-cain-velasquez-tyson-fury-set-for-wwe-presser/

By: Andrew Thompson

POST News Updates

**WWE issued a press release to the media which noted that a press conference will be held on October 11th at 12 PM PT in Las Vegas, Nevada and at the presser, an announcement concerning Brock Lesnar, Cain Velasquez, Braun Strowman and Tyson Fury is set to be made. Triple H and Rey Mysterio are also slated to appear the presser. WWE confirmed that this event will be streamed on the WWE Network on Friday at 3 PM EST/12 PM PT and the event will also be available to watch live on all the sports-entertainment company’s social media platforms.

**Metro interviewed Bill Goldberg on the Blue Carpet ahead of SmackDown’s premiere on FOX. Goldberg shared that his SummerSlam match with Dolph Ziggler helped him mentally after his match with Undertaker at WWE Super Showdown did not go as planned:

“It was very important to nobody but me, OK? People were very critical of me, and I’ll be honest, I never really respond to it. I do care what people think,” Goldberg admitted. “But when I know the whole deal and everything, it’s like, come on guys, give me a break. I knocked myself out dude. Now let me see you walk down the street, let alone pick up a 320lbs dude when you’re knocked out. I think for me, what the Ziggler match did, was reaffirm my own self-confidence, not for anyone else. But I just needed to go out there and go through the motions and know, man, just ’cause you stumble once, helped me out a lot, it really did.”

**Cody Rhodes appeared on the Joe Cronin Show and was asked about the AEW chants at the conclusion of WWE’s Hell In A Cell pay-per-view. Cody shared that one of the participants in the Universal Championship main event left the bout concussed but did not say who. He admitted that hearing about the chants was flattering but would not gloat about it because of the injury he stated occurred during that match:

“When those come up… I wasn’t watching the pay-per-view but when those come up, everyone — your phone starts blowing up and your socials start blowing up. Whenever the crowd chants something whether it’s, ‘boring’, whether it’s the promotion, whether it’s your name, it means they want to be rewarded with something. When you’re in the ring, wrestling 101, and we know we want to reward them, so it was flattering. I wouldn’t be one to gloat about it only because I know one of the guys in that match got concussed and this job ain’t that easy but nonetheless, whenever we hear those chants, it’s more validation that what we’re doing and what we’ve been saying about this market existing is real.” Cody explained.

**RISE Wrestling announced that Kylie Rae is slated to appear at their show on November 1st in Illinois. Kylie was recently announced for IMPACT Wrestling’s ‘All Glory’ show on-which she will be challenging for the Zelo Pro Women’s Championship as a part of a three-way match involving Shotzi Blackheart and champion, Laynie Luck.

**New Japan Pro-Wrestling announced the teams that will be competing in this year’s Super Jr. Tag League tournament. The teams announced were: Roppongi 3K (SHO and YOH), Tiger Mask and Yuya Uemura, Ryusuke Taguchi and Rocky Romero, Will Ospreay and Robbie Eagles, Volador Jr. and Titan, TJP and Clark Connors, Taiji Ishimori and El Phantasmo, and El Desperado and Yoshinobu Kanemaru.

**The following Super Jr. Tag League matches were made official for the Road to Power Struggle shows on October 16th and October 17th at Korakuen Hall:

Road To Power Struggle/Super Jr. Tag League 2019 (10/16)
* Tiger Mask & Yuya Uemura vs. Volador Jr. & Titan
* Ryusuke Taguchi & Rocky Romero vs. TJP & Clark Connors
* Will Ospreay & Robbie Eagles vs. Taiji Ishimori & El Phantasmo
* SHO & YOH vs. El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru

Road to Power Struggle/Super Jr. Tag League (10/17)
* Tiger Mask & Yuya Uemura vs. Rocky Romero & Ryusuke Taguchi
* Will Ospreay & Robbie Eagles vs. Roppongi 3K (SHO & YOH)
* Volador Jr. & Titan vs. Clark Connors & TJP
* El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. El Phantasmo & Taiji Ishimori

**Digital Spy recently interviewed former NXT Champion Andrade. Andrade shared with the publication that he was nervous to meet Ric Flair and told Charlotte Flair not to mention their relationship to her father when they first began dating:

“When we first met I was seriously so nervous – so, so nervous,” Andrade said. “Now I’m so happy. I love Ric Flair. He’s a great person with me, he talks, texts me, sometimes we have dinner. He’s great with me now. When we first started , I asked Charlotte, ‘Please don’t say nothing to your dad’, and she said, ‘No it’s my dad, he won’t care’,” Andrade said.

**The December 16th edition of Monday Night RAW will emanate from Des Moines, Iowa and the following night, Sioux City, Iowa is hosting a WWE live event and advertised for that show is Seth Rollins, Becky Lynch, Sasha Banks, and Braun Strowman.

**During an interview with Sports Illustrated, Roman Reigns backed Seth Rollins’ love for WWE and added that whether Rollins is on RAW or SmackDown, the company is in good hands with him as champion: “Seth loves the WWE,” said Reigns.

“That’s why some people misread some of the things he says or the way he delivers it, but he does mean well. He’s a workhorse. Yeah, he’s a little live at the mouth sometimes, but he’s got a heart of gold, trust me. Whether he’s on RAW or SmackDown, the WWE is in good hands with him as champion.”

**FOX Sports is promoting this weekend’s EVOLVE 137 and EVOLVE 138 show and promoting the return of NXT’s Cameron Grimes to his home state of North Carolina at EVOLVE 138.

**New York-based reporter Alyse Zwick announced that she has joined WWE as an on-air host and will be a part of ‘This Week In WWE’.

**Paul “Triple H” Levesque spoke with Scott Fishman of TV Insider. Levesque stated that NXT will not be making TakeOver events longer just because they now have a bigger bandwidth for storylines. Levesque added that the USA Network was thrilled with the rating NXT received on its first-ever episode on the network. The piece also featured comments from Johnny Gargano and Gargano expressed that he is welcoming of All Elite Wrestling and thinks it’s cool that people are enjoying wrestling.

**Candice LeRae chatted with Newsweek and stated that prior to her match against Io Shirai at NXT TakeOver: Toronto, she felt as if she was not herself and was sacrificing who she was for no reason:

“When I got , I felt I was sacrificing who I was for no rhyme or reason. I think then I was being insecure. The match with Io forced me to deliver and be myself, and now I feel like I’m wrestling like I always had before coming here, and now I’m able to give fans the me I’ve always been and should never sacrifice that again, because I want people to see the me that they liked before me getting here, and I want the people who don’t know who I am to see that version of me too because that’s who I truly am. I want them to feel the love for wrestling that I feel. I think I just hadn’t been myself when I got here. I didn’t feel confident in anything I was doing basically,” Candice laughed. “So when I’m not confident in it, I’m like, ‘Do I want to spring off the ropes and flip on somebody? Or do I want to fly in the ring and crash and burn?’ The thing is, a lot of the things I do are so risky. The willingness to risk my body for these matches is what I sacrificed the most, and it’s not the fan’s fault. It’s just I felt insecure with what I was doing, and I was fearful to do it, and now I’m like, ‘You know what, if I’m not going to give it my all and do me, then what am I doing?’”

**Baron Corbin spoke with Digital Spy and talked about his rise over the past year in WWE. Corbin believes that he was thrown into the fire to see how he would react and thinks that he has done well so far:

“You always have a fear of overexposure and I think it was the right amount for me to really get under people’s skin, so I think it was done perfectly and it just really helped me to grow as a character. Now I’m not worried if they give me a long promo, I know I can do it because I opened RAWs with segment-long promos. I think they just threw me in the fire to see what I can do and I think I crushed it,” he continued. “Now I’m much more confident with everything I’m doing because I hadn’t really done anything like that before. So, you know now I’ve sung a lullaby on RAW, I’ve done eight promos in one night and sometimes they change 30 seconds before you do them, so really helps you just to be on your A-game.”

**FOX 2 St. Louis is hosting sweepstakes and four tickets to Monday Night RAW on October 28th are up for grabs.

**Forbes has a feature up which includes comments from WWE talents and Hall of Famers discussing FOX’s deal with WWE. Cedric Alexander, Sting, Goldberg, The Miz, and Baron Corbin were all interviewed for the piece.

**During the most recent edition of WWE’s ‘The Bump’, it was announced that Roderick Strong will take on Isaiah “Swerve” Scott on the 10/9/19 edition of NXT.

**BOOM! Studios are releasing a graphic novel about The New Day (Kofi Kingston, Big E and Xavier Woods) in 2020.

**PWInsider conducted an interview with Matt Riddle.

**On the newest edition of WWE ‘The Bump’, a statement from referee Rod Zapata was issued to The Bump. Zapata was the official for Seth Rollins and Bray Wyatt’s Universal Championship match at Hell In A Cell that resulted in a no-contest. Here’s the statement: “With Bray motionless, and Seth clearly doing whatever it was going to take to win that match… I had to think of the competitor’s safety and at that moment, I did what I thought was best.”

**Former NWA World Tag Team Champion Lanny Poffo participated in ROHWrestling.com’s ’10 Questions’ series.

**Sonya Deville sat down with ‘toofab’ and talked about her transition from MMA to professional wrestling and how the injuries vary in the respective sports.

**Gamespot spoke with Paul “Triple H” Levesque and Candice LeRae at the WWE Performance Center.

**Britt Baker is teaming with AEW Women’s World Champion Riho to take on Bea Priestley and former ICEx60 Champion Emi Sukura on the 10/9/19 edition of AEW Dynamite in Boston.

**ESPN interviewed Tyson Fury and Fury commented on the criticism he’s received from those who feel that he should be resting and recovering coming off his fight against Otto Wallin last month. Fury stated that anything could happen to him at any moment and you can’t tempt fate: “Everybody says I should be resting or recovering,” he says. “But I could get flattened by a bus walking out of the hotel. You can’t tempt fate. Whatever will be with the eye will be.”

**Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat joined Nick Hausman on the WINCLY podcast and reflected on his 2009 feud with current AEW World Champion Chris Jericho. Steamboat stated that Jericho was determined to make sure he had a good showing in their singles match at Backlash and talked about how that match led to Steamboat working with Jericho on a WWE overseas tour:

“He really took care of me. I was 56. I was still pretty active in the ring because I was working at the training grounds, and I was one of the few instructors that actually would get in the ring with the young hopefuls and go 20 minutes so I was very hands on, instead of coaching from the sidelines. So I’d get in the ring and say, ‘Come on now. Hook up and just listen to me’. So, I was very hands on with that type of training and I could be talking to the guy in his ear and start to get up — ‘No, no, no, no, no. You’re getting up too fast
. States and we toured the Carolinas and we worked every single night together so, that first match at WrestleMania when it was me and Piper and Snuka — God bless him — against Chris and then three weeks later we did a one-on-one. Just because of that one match, for me, I ended up having about… Oh I don’t know, 15 or maybe more matches, singles matches with Jericho. I became a part of that roster.”

**NXT Women’s Champion Shayna Baszler chatted with Newsweek and shared a funny story about her wanting to wear a shirt on NXT TV that reads, “I heart 69 Mustangs”:

“It’s been an interesting thing to have to worry about different TV aspects like watching your mouth or something like a t-shirt you wear,” Baszler said of NXT’s transition to live television. “I don’t know if this is a story I should tell, but I have a 1969 Mustang, and it’s my prize possession. I have a shirt that says, ‘I heart 69 mustangs,’ so I was going to wear it and I put it on social media but just the camera shot showed, ‘I heart 69’ and they were like, ‘No we are on TV now, so you can’t.’ It’s stuff I didn’t think of because I’m just all about my car. The point of is to groom us for TV, so when it was time to pull the trigger, we found that we were more ready than we thought. It was scary until we got in there, and then it was ‘OK, we got this.’”

**Ahead of challenging Kazuchika Okada for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship at NJPW’s King Of Pro Wrestling show, SANADA took to his Instagram page and wrote the following message:

“Here in Japan, and all over the world I hear people cheering for Okada. I get it, he’s one of the greats. But listen, I hear my name being called too! I hear the fans cheering for me, sending me their love and positive vibes. So I ask you, isn’t my turn? Who wants to see me, Sanada, as a core part of the NJPW?! Because the future of NJPW isn’t Okada, or Tanahashi, or Naito or even Ibushi or Evil! The future of NJPW is Sanada! Let me lead the NJPW! I believe that I am the hope of pro wrestling!”

**Bar Wrestling’s ‘You Got It, Dude’ show is set to take place inside the Bootleg Theater on October 9th. The promotion announced that those who arrive at the venue early will be able to watch AEW: Dynamite live.

**It was announced during the premiere episode of NWA Powerr that the National Wrestling Alliance is returning to Atlanta on December 14th through the 16th.

**Tickets for Alberto El Patron and Tito Ortiz’s fight that is set for December 7th, go on-sale October 11th.

**WWE Hall Of Famer Kurt Angle told ESPN reporter Marc Raimondi that UFC Flyweight and Bantamweight Champion Henry Cejudo can steal his gimmick if Henry so chooses.

**Shotzi Blackheart is set to defend the SHINE Championship this weekend against Aja Perera at EVOLVE 137.

**According to the New York Post, ESPN and FOX have selected their respective broadcast teams for the XFL’s top games of the season. On the ESPN side is Steve Levy, Dan Orlovsky, and Pat McAfee. Calling the action on the FOX front will be Curt Menefee and Joel Klatt.

**WWE Hall Of Famer Eddie Guerrero would’ve been 52-years old today.

**India Today published a story about an individual being apprehended and explosives were recovered from the individual’s possession. Among other contraband that was found, a piece of John Cena merchandise was also in the possession of said individual.

**Baron Corbin was interviewed by Metro and spoke about his relationship with WWE Chairman Vince McMahon:

“I have a fantastic relationship with Vince. There’s been a couple of times where he’s tried to knock me out of chairs or knock me over and run off. I know when I can do that and when it’s all business. ‘I’m going to try to make you a million dollars tonight,’ and then maybe later he hits me in the back of the head with something and thinks it’s hilarious.” Corbin said.

**Adam Cole spoke to Newsweek about WWE 2K20 and possibly starting his own YouTube gaming channel.

**FOX Sports commentator and host Rob Stone appeared on The Big Lead’s ‘Glass Half Empty’ podcast and discussed several WWE topics. Rob was asked who he would take with the number one pick in the WWE Draft which kicks off this Friday on SmackDown and Stone shared that he and Cleatus The Robot will be working the Draft room from FOX headquarters on Friday:

“There’s a part of me that would lean slightly towards Lesnar, but I don’t like the fact that he’s not there on a week in and week out basis. I love the energy that Becky Lynch has right now and what The Man is doing. I don’t know what the legs are on that storyline. I think it’s gonna continue for a while longer but, right now, I think just so much revolves around Roman are working the Draft room.”

* Rob Stone then shared his thoughts about Charlotte Flair, Sasha Banks, The Fiend Bray Wyatt and Braun Strowman. Stone questioned the longevity of The Fiend character and also questioned why Braun Strowman has not become a world champion yet:

“I think there’s a lot of storylines out there that have legs and you’re curious to see how long it goes. I think with Charlotte Flair winning her 10th title, I think you need to boost her back up into the top three conversation where things need to revolve around The Queen a little bit more, and you’re right, I think Sasha always in the mix with the energy and attitude she has that clearly resonates with people. The Fiend is interesting to me. How much longer can you milk it? How much longer until he takes on an associate or two? To me, the big thing is, is when is Braun Strowman gonna get a belt that’s not a tag team belt,” says Stone. “When does that happen because we’ve all been sitting there for years saying, ‘This is clearly the biggest badass that’s out there and this is the guy that demolishes everybody in his path.’ How is he not the champ? And I know what they’re kind of setting up with him right now, but I think if you talk to Braun, he’ll very politely inquire and not in agreement by saying, ‘It’s time for my title. It’s time for my push.’”

* Rob Stone then stated he would like to see a WWE pay-per-view take place on FOX broadcast television. He expressed that if there is a way to make up for the loss in revenue because of the pay-per-view being on cable television, then it’s certainly an idea he believes his executives would open to doing:

“Well remember, this is all with April in mind, and everything going forward to Tampa and WrestleMania, and the storylines are gonna start working themselves out pretty soon as far as what that path to WrestleMania is gonna lay out for you. I think wrestling has too many pay-per-views to be honest with you,” he said. “I think the average fan can kind of get lost in what this is and things change. I’d like to see them maybe pull two-to-three pay-per-views a year out or at least make them different, make them unique. I would like to see a quote unquote pay-per-view on FOX broadcast television,” Stone expressed. “These are business decisions that go on at a higher level. I guarantee my execs would love a quote unquote pay-per-view on FOX broadcast television as well and who knows, maybe we will see it. I have no idea about it but it would make a ton of sense for both parties if you’re not talking the finances because that’s big pay day — I have to assume at least, that comes to the WWE but if there’s a way you might able to offset the quote unquote loss with the gains you would get through commercial time and everything else with it, plus the exposure and the conversations going on, it might be worth investing in.”

**NXT’s Mansoor joined the Esquire Middle East Q&A podcast and talked about how helpful Sami Zayn, Ali and Mojo Rawley have been:

“I’m asked sometimes, ‘How does it feel to represent Arabs in this way that isn’t stereotyped?’ And I was like, ‘Ali, Sami Zayn, Mojo Rawley — they’ve been doing it way before me.’ They are guys who had been pioneering this. Sami, I consider to be a huge pioneer because when I was in high school, he joined NXT. Actually, my first-ever NXT live event, I was in Florida for vacation and I got to see him wrestle and that was one of the coolest experiences for me because I really do consider him an inspiration,” Mansoor shared. “He’s an amazing wrestler, an amazing performer in every sense of the word.” The podcast host added that Sami Zayn is a very nice person, “And speaking of that, Mojo has had me over for dinner at his house his family,” said Mansoor. “Ali was someone who really gave me a lot of really, really good advice at Super Showdown backstage. He didn’t have to at all but he went into in-depth conversation with me, helping me, making sure that I knew exactly how to navigate my way around the main roster locker room because it’s a completely different beast from NXT so… man, they’re all such good guys, and if I can help in any way with what they’re doing… if we as a collective can just be ourselves and be the best performers we can possibly be while also raising everyone else…”

**Ryan Satin of Pro Wrestling Sheet interviewed Bianca Belair.

**Davey Boy Smith Jr. versus Alex Hammerstone for the National Openweight Championship has been added to MLW’s Saturday Night SuperFight pay-per-view on November 2nd.

**The New Day will be present at the ‘Big Easy Con’ in New Orleans next month.

**FOX 5 profiled the ‘Brii Combination Wrestling’ promotion and spoke with Saieve Al Sabah, Peter Rosado and Joey Ace who were a part of the promotion’s 26th show.

**Marko Stunt sat down with Chris Van Vliet for an exclusive interview following the debut of AEW: Dynamite on TNT. Marko opened up about the struggles he faced mentally after breaking his leg at Joey Janela’s L.A. Confidential show in November of 2018:

“I was really depressed, and I wasn’t abusing the things they gave me for my leg. I wouldn’t say I was abusing them but… I was probably using them more frequently than I needed. I mean I was in pain, don’t get me wrong but, I was more sad than I was in pain… because this had become my life,” Stunt said about his wrestling career. “I was on such an up. I couldn’t walk up the stairs so they put a bed in the living room. It took like four months for me to get up to my room for the first time.”

**At Ring of Honor’s November 2nd show in Pittsburgh, fan voting will play a major role in what matches take place on that night. ROH noted on their official website that the fans will determine who’ll be taking on Villain Enterprises (PCO, Brody King & Marty Scurll) for the ROH World Six-Man Tag Team Championships. Voting begins on October 16th and ends on October 30th and the top three voters from the following list will receive a shot at the six-man tag titles: Beer City Bruiser, Brian Milonas, Caprice Coleman, Cheeseburger, Colt Cabana, Dak Draper, Dalton Castle, Delirious, Eli Isom, Jeff Cobb, Josh Woods, Joe Hendry, Kenny King, LSG, Matt Taven, P.J. Black, Rhett Titus, Ryan Nova, Shaheem Ali and Silas Young.

**Bully Ray and Mark Henry welcomed NWA Vice President Dave Lagana onto Busted Open Radio to chat about the debut of NWA Powerrr and a handful of topics concerning the organization and the show. Lagana will also be chatting with POST Wrestling later this week.

**Chris Jericho joined the Swings & Mrs. radio show.

**Former SmackDown Women’s Champion Bayley is set to do a radio interview with Mix 94.1 on October 11th.

VIDEO

**All Elite Wrestling aired the premiere episode of AEW DARK featuring Luchasaurus, Marko Stunt and Jungle Boy taking on S.C.U. (Frankie Kazarian, Scorpio Sky and Christopher Daniels) along with three more matches.

**Here’s the newest episode of WWE’s ‘The Bump’ series featuring former NXT Champion Tommaso Ciampa and WWE Hall Of Famer D-Von Dudley.

**Bill Goldberg chatted with Denise Salcedo of Instinct Culture.

**Booker T shared his thoughts about Kofi Kingston losing the WWE Championship to Brock Lesnar in a matter of seconds. Booker proposed the idea of Kofi kicking out of two F5’s, Lesnar becoming frustrated which would lead to Kofi rolling Lesnar up for a two count and after that is when Lesnar would deliver a third and final F5 to become WWE Champion.

**The WWEPC YouTube channel has a video up about Dakota Kai’s return to NXT.

**Braun Strowman appeared on ‘Back-To-Back Chef’ and cooked a meal with professional chef Carla Music.

REWIND-A-WAI #46: WWF Royal Rumble 1994 (Patreon)

John Pollock and Wai Ting review WWF Royal Rumble 1994 headlined by a 30-Man Royal Rumble Match resulting in a controversial draw between Bret Hart and Lex Luger.
https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/10/08/rewind-a-wai-46-wwf-royal-rumble-1994/
RAR 10/7/19: Fast and Fury, Hell in a Cell Fallout
John Pollock and Wai Ting review WWE Raw following Hell in a Cell featuring Tyson Fury demanding an apology from Braun Strowman. Plus, the latest in Rusev and Lana’s ongoing marital issues.
https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/10/08/rar-10-7-19-fast-and-fury-hell-in-a-cell-fallout/

WWE Hell in a Cell POST Show

John Pollock & Wai Ting review WWE Hell in a Cell headlined by Seth Rollins vs. “The Fiend” Bray Wyatt for the WWE Universal Championship in one of the wackiest finishes in Hell In A Cell history.
https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/10/07/wwe-hell-in-a-cell-2019-post-show/
UFC 243 POST Show: Robert Whittaker vs. Israel Adesanya

John Pollock is joined by Phil Chertok for the UFC 243 POST Show featuring Robert Whittaker vs. Israel Adesanya from Melbourne, Australia.
https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/10/06/ufc-243-post-show-robert-whittaker-vs-israel-adesanya/
RASD: “That’s Gotta be Cain”, The Fox Era Begins
John Pollock and Wai Ting review the debut edition of Friday Night SmackDown on Fox featuring the arrival of Cain Velasquez and Brock Lesnar’s defeat of Kofi Kingston for the WWE Championship.
https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/10/05/rasd-10-4-19-thats-gotta-be-cain-the-fox-era-begins-patreon/

Cafe Hangout: AEW vs. NXT Week 1
John Pollock and Wai Ting discuss the fall-out from Week One of the “Wednesday Night Wars” as AEW Dynamite debuts against WWE NXT. We take your phone calls reacting to both shows as we receive its ratings live on-air. Andrew Thompson for a live report from last night’s AEW Dynamite in Washington, DC.
https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/10/03/aew-vs-nxt-week-1-ratings-reaction-cafe-hangout/

Browse the new POST Wrestling Store
https://store.postwrestling.com

Subscribe to POST Wrestling
https://postwrestling.com/subscribe

POST Wrestling Forum
https://forum.postwrestling.com

Support our Patreon – The POST Wrestling Café
http://www.patreon.com/POSTwrestling

Follow us
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube