POST NEWS UPDATE: Jim Ross says his Hall Of Fame induction was intended to be his farewell

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/11/09/post-news-update-jim-ross-says-his-hall-of-fame-induction-was-intended-to-be-his-farewell/

If any of the quotes from the following podcasts or video interviews are used, please credit those sources and provide an H/T and link back to POST Wrestling for the transcriptions.

** The 2006 WWE Cyber Sunday pay-per-view was the focus of the latest Grilling JR podcast. Jim Ross discussed his contract negotiations with WWE at the time and him consistently signing short-term deals because Vince McMahon was planning for Ross to be removed from the commentary team. JR added that his 2007 WWE Hall Of Fame induction was intended to be the company’s farewell to him.

“Well, my contract expired, and we didn’t come to terms, from a business standpoint. So what we were doing was just doing these little extensions until we got a deal done, and I was hoping for a longer-term deal in 2006 and I got a one-year deal. So the writing was on the wall for me that I was — Vince , ‘Don’t worry about JR.’ So, nobody did but that’s how that worked out.”

While discussing Jeff Hardy’s match at Cyber Sunday ’06, JR talked about the idea of Matt and Jeff Hardy going into the WWE Hall Of Fame and how Matt being with All Elite Wrestling could conflict with that.

“I hope that somewhere down the road — I’m curious say, ‘Yeah, they deserve to go in but when Matt leaves AEW, we’ll think about it’ and that may be the deal but Jeff is a star, and I had higher expectations for this match than we received, so I don’t know. It just let me down a little bit.”

** Last week, Kylie Rae announced over her Patreon that she is stepping away from professional wrestling. On 11/9, PWInsider noted that Kylie is still under contract with IMPACT Wrestling despite her decision to retire.

** Isaiah “Swerve” Scott and Teasy welcomed Toni Storm onto the Swerve City Podcast. One of the topics that was heavily discussed was social media and several years ago, Storm’s privacy was invaded via her cell phone and private images of hers were put out to the public. She talked about how she felt during that period of her life and the mental struggles she battled.

“I guess, for example, a couple of years ago, I had a very terrible thing. I had a horrible invasion of privacy. It crushed me. It broke my heart. Actually, it just tore up my whole soul and I didn’t wanna even continue wrestling. I just wanted to leave everything. I can not tell you how much I just wanted to completely disappear, just not exist, like done. Again, I feel like I didn’t have that anymore. I was like, ‘My whole identity is what now? What does this make me?’ I was heartbroken. Just get up each day, just keep getting up. Don’t even think about it. I just would zone out, block it out and just know that it can get better and I’m glad I stuck around because it got hella better. Look at me now. This is great. I’ve moved to a different country, I’ve got a really good life. Things can be fine. You can just push through. Just be strong as hell.”

** GCW, ICW: NHB and former IMPACT Wrestling referee Kris Levin was a guest on the PWPonderings Podcast. Kris opened up about his Locker Room Detectives series that was on IWTV up until the show’s co-creator, former MLW ring announcer Mark Adam Haggerty was called out during the #SpeakingOut movement.

“That was my everything , I lost Locker Room Detectives. It’s like, ‘Wow, what can I do from here?’ So we kind of all picked up the pieces together and created our own new home.”

** IWA Puerto Rico made the announcement on their Twitter that Savio Vega will be a part of WWE’s farewell for The Undertaker at Survivor Series. WWE has yet to confirm Vega’s appearance but Undertaker will be present at the event to be honored. Vega was a part of ‘Bone Street Krew’ that consisted of Undertaker’s closest friends such as James Harrison, Henry Godwinn, The Godfather, Mideon, Yokozuna, Brian Adams, Rikishi, Paul Bearer and Mr. Fuji.

** Game Changer Wrestling announced MLW World Heavyweight Champion Jacob Fatu for their ‘Slime Season’ show on 12/5.

** TV Insider caught up with Braun Strowman for an exclusive interview. At WrestleMania 36, Strowman became Universal Champion by defeating Goldberg and he held the title until SummerSlam this past August. Strowman shared his thoughts on how he believes his title run went.

“You never know what’s going to happen in WWE. That’s one of my favorite things about the job that keeps you on your toes. Opportunity blew the door off the hinges for me at that moment. It was a little more difficult than I think in normal times; no crowd and being under the microscope without being able to hide behind the cheers or the boos and the animation of the audience, I feel like we all had to step our level of performance up. I put my head down and went to work.

In my opinion, I think I did a damn good job. I think we made the most of it. I think we did an awesome job, everyone I had to work with, and behind the scenes and story-telling. The whole aspect of it in the middle of a pandemic, I thought we hit a home run.”

** Announced for the 11/11 episode of AEW Dynamite is MJF’s induction into The Inner Circle and a segment with Cody coming off of his TNT Championship loss to Darby Allin at Full Gear.

** Chris Bey chatted with the Ringsiders Wrestling team and detailed how he got incorporated into the 2020 NJPW Super J-Cup tournament field:

“To be honest man, it just happened. Finesse? I don’t know bro. I just be working and doing my thing and I got contacted by Rocky Romero. He put the invite out for me, and him and Scott D’Amore had a conversation, so he let me know once again, ‘Scott D’Amore and the business that we do, it’s great business’ and I know that he and Scott had conversations. He asked me, he told me he had already talked to Scott and it was something that I was 100 percent available for and open to and here we are. I didn’t know when everything would be announced, or if it was going to be announced or how that process was going to happen but it was like 2 AM my time and I got the notification and liked the New Japan post and I’m just like, ‘Oh sweet. Now we open up the floodgates so now the world knows’ and it’s another one of those things where it’s just like man, I’m completely blessed and fortunate. People ask me what’s my strategy going into it or what am I gonna do to separate myself and I don’t need to. The only thing I need to do is be The Ultimate Finesser and be Chris Bey because I’m here for a reason and once again, it goes back to when I was in the 205 Live scenario. Once I get in the ring, no matter the buckles read New Japan or IMPACT or whatever it reads, J-Cup on the canvas, I don’t care what it is. That ring is my ring. I know what the ring is, I know what to do in the ring and I finesse and I put on a show and I entertain so, I just look forward to tapping into a whole new market and showing a whole new legion of fans who I am and what I bring to the table and what I plan to do for many years to come in this business.”

** Former NXT Champion Karrion Kross took to his Instagram page and provided an update on his recovery process since separating his shoulder at NXT TakeOver XXX.

I have deliberately neglected to answer any questions about my health from fans since July 22nd for a variety of reasons. I see them everyday though. And the check in’s have been sincerely appreciated.

However, Today I will answer your question.

I feel absurdly stronger now than I did even before July. I have not squandered this time away.

I have always been addicted to challenges and avenues of improvement since I was a small kid. And I see no point in returning if I’m not coming back even stronger than I was to begin with.

See you all again when the T I M E is right.

Which as you know… could be any second.

Or maybe when you least expect it.

** Justin Barrasso of Sports Illustrated chatted with Braun Strowman ahead of Monday Night RAW. Strowman stated that he pitched that he should appear on RAW Underground because the ratings fall short during the third hour.

“The third hour of Raw sometimes falls off with ratings, so I pitched an idea to bring ‘The Monster Among Men’ to Raw Underground in the third hour. It’s so easy now to watch parts of the show on social media after it happens, but my goal is to get people to watch our live product. That’s a huge factor why I went to Raw, which is where I first made a name for myself.

For me, being a WWE superstar is like a candlelight, and there is so much I want to accomplish before it burns out. So I’m bringing my absolute best to Raw. This is a big time for me, and it’s a chance for me to make a mark and win that one world title that has eluded me.”

** PWInsider noted that Don Callis appeared at AEW Full Gear at the request of Kenny Omega.

** Rocky Romero was interviewed by Wrestling Inc. to promote Talk N’ Shop A Mania 2. Rocky is facing Chavo Guerrero on the show and shared that while shooting their match, there were a few times when Chavo converted into his inner-producer mode and began making suggestions to the camera operators.

“100%, so the Chavo – Chico part–we’re doing two locations this time. So there’s a Los Angeles location and then there’s an Atlanta location on the Gallows property. So LA was very cool because like I said, we did this very cinematic, crazy Lucha Libre deathmatch, and a couple times where he had to go into producer Chavo mode.

He told cameramen to hold on a second. ‘This is my suggestion. It’s not that I do this for a living or anything, or I do Emmy award-winning TV shows, but I just have a suggestion. Hear me out,’ and he set up the camera this way, had the director this way and the director was like, ‘Yeah, I think that’s really going to be the shot that’s going to work.’ He has so many great ideas, and the guy has been doing it for so long.

I mean look at his legacy, and it’s awesome. Now he’s working on another show. I don’t know how much I can talk about it, but I know that he’s working on another big show, and he’s out in Australia right now. So it’s just cool to be able to work with him and have him there as a complete asset especially for Talk N Shop A-Mania because we’re not professional at all unfortunately.”

** Below is the newest episode of Being The Elite:

** WWE applied to trademark the following names on 11/3:

– Candy Floss
– August Grey
– Bash at the Beach
– Battlebowl
– Bunkhouse Stampede
– The Match Beyond
– Slamboree

** Davey Boy Smith Jr. is challenging Jacob Fatu for the MLW World Heavyweight Title on the November 18th restart episode.

** Scott Fishman of TV Insider caught up with Lilian Garcia and Garcia was asked for a list of dream guests that she’d like to have on ‘Chasing Glory’. Her list included Roman Reigns, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Ronda Rousey and Vince McMahon.

** Director James Gunn shared on Twitter that he is set to quarantine for two weeks to begin the filming of ‘Peacemaker’. John Cena is starring in the film as Peacemaker.

** During a recent Twitch stream, Miro praised Lana for enduring the table bumps she has taken over the past seven weeks.

** The following matches were announced for the 11/10 episode of AEW Dark:

* Alan Angels vs. Fuego Delsol
* The Acclaimed (Anthony Bowens & Max Caster) vs. Louie Valle & Justin Blax
* Dreamgirl Ellie & Jennacide vs. Ivelisse & Diamante
* Lucha Bros (Penta El Zero M & Rey Fenix) vs. Ashton Starr & David Ali
* Sonny Kiss & Joey Janela vs. Jurassic Express (Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus)
* Dani Jordan vs. Leva Bates
* Angelico & Jack Evans vs. Adam Priest & Shawn Dean
* TNT (Terrell & Terrence Dudley) vs. Serpentico & Luther
* Top Flight (Dante & Darius Martin) vs. Baron Black & Frankie Thomas

** New Japan Pro-Wrestling uploaded Will Ospreay and Taiji Ishimori’s match from the 2018 Best of the Super Juniors tourney to their YouTube channel.

** Fightful’s Sean Ross Sapp interviewed Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows and Rocky Romero.

** Former WWE United Kingdom Champion Pete Dunne turned 27-years old on 11/9.

** Chris Jericho turned 50-years on 11/9. Also, Todd Kearn’s interview with Jericho was posted to Kearn’s YouTube channel.

** Allison Danger caught up with Solo Darling.

** Here’s the latest episode of Ohio Valley Wrestling television:

** Lilian Garcia continued making the media rounds and did an interview with PopCulture.com.

** AEW’s Alex Abrahantes has a birthday today.

** Daily DDT has an interview up with independent wrestler Apricot Spears.

** Kofi Kingston was the latest guest on Superstar Savepoint on the UpUpDownDown YouTube channel.

** Alicia Atout interviewed Myles Kennedy from the band ‘Alter Bridge’, which is the group that created Edge’s theme song.

If any of the quotes from the following podcasts or video interviews are used, please credit those sources and provide an H/T and link back to POST Wrestling for the transcriptions.