RASD 1/22/19: Rey vs. Andrade, Bryan-Styles faceoff, XFL TV talks

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/01/23/rasd-1-22-19-rey-vs-andrade-bryan-styles-faceoff-xfl-tv-talks/

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD

John Pollock and Wai Ting review WWE SmackDown from Wichita, Kansas.

On the final show before the Royal Rumble, Rey Mysterio took on Andrade in a 2-of-3 falls match in the main event, Daniel Bryan and AJ Styles had a face-to-face segment with Bryan’s feelings on the baby boomer generation revealed, Shane McMahon and The Miz are attacked before Sunday’s tag title match, Asuka and Becky Lynch brawl, and the latest chapter in the saga between Naomi and Mandy Rose.

NEWS OF THE DAY: Sports Business Journal’s report on the XFL’s talks with Fox and ESPN, an update on Flip Gordon’s knee injury, the commentary pairings for the Royal Rumble & more.

A reminder that the Royal Rumble Pool is open and you can submit your picks before the deadline on Sunday, January 27th at 3 pm Eastern.

Plus Café feedback, comments & questions from the POST Wrestling Forum.

**THIS WEEK ON THE PATREON DOUBLE SHOT**

• John Pollock reviews the June 6, 1992 episode of WWF Superstars featuring Gene Okerlund’s interview with Papa Shango, Vince McMahon promoting the first WBF pay-per-view & more.
  • Wai Ting reviews the second episode of the new season of Total Bellas
  • Pollock goes through the January 18th episode of Impact Wrestling from the tapings in Nashville, Tennessee
  • Plus, Wai covers Episode 135 of Being the Elite – “Full Gear”

The Double Shot is available for all POST Wrestling Café patrons.

Rewind-A-SmackDown Theme by THE IDENTiTY CRiSiS
theidentitycrisis.com / youtube.com/theidc

Subscribe:
iTunes & iOS | Android | Spotify | Google Play | Stitcher | TuneIn | Mac & PC | RSS

Discuss:
https://forum.postwrestling.com

Support – The POST Wrestling Café:
http://www.patreon.com/POSTwrestling

Merchandise:
https://store.postwrestling.com

Follow:
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube

We’ve rebounded from that brutal -45 to a lovely -8 in beautiful Sudbury Ontario I’m happy to say.

The weather had a nice babyface turn, but after looking at the 7 day forecast I fear it may be Big Show-Esque in its face/heel alignment.

1 Like

CFL aired on ESPN2 in the states on Friday nights and it was a feed of the TSN broadcast. There was very little buzz for it, the only time I remember coverage was when Johnny Manziel played in a game

1 Like

On the topic of bitter cold weather, I find that one of the few positives about a bitter cold day is that the sun is at least out usually. Sometimes the winter can be so dreary/cloudy that I’d take a bitter cold day every now and then if it means seeing the sun. That’s if it stays in the single digits Fahrenheit here. Anything below zero in Fahrenheit can be really rough.

Speaking of the commentary situation, since the advent of the network ive been shouting to anyone who will listen for them to have separate commentary feeds, one featuring the smackdown team and one featuring the raw team, getting different points of view and advancing different storylines. You can do this with survivor series also.

Would be the difference between watching your local sportsball team on your local channel vs. when they are the national game on espn…but instead you could also listen to the feed from the OTHER market where your guys are the “heels”. It would be a nice option to have.

1 Like

John deserves some serious credit for being able to shave his own head. I’ve tried it and it led to disaster.

Indeed, AJ had no comeback versus what Daniel Bryan was saying. The only person who is known to have debates with Daniel on ecology, technology, consumerism or pollution is John Cena. He would be the perfect antagonist in a feud like that. AJ is the wrong target. It’s like Daniel is talking in the wind and no one is able to counter his points.

1 Like

Great ep guys!

Re: weather
I love hearing John and Wai talk about it. Also to compare, here in Australia tomorrow we’re going to hit 43 degrees celsius, I’d prefer the cold.

2 Likes

Hottest place in the world? I’m willing to bet somewhere in the Australian desert, where it’s been nudging at 50 degrees celsius today.

Give me the cold any day - if it’s cold I can wear more clothes. But if it’s hot? There’s only so many clothes I’m permitted to shed at work and still keep my job.

For the coldest one, check Siberia.

Re: XFL

I think it was Wai who asked about the interest the CFL has in the states. The short answer is none. The CFL is really only mentioned when a former NFL/College star flames out and has a last ditch attempt at a pro career in football.

I just don’t think there is enough interest in more football. If the NFL is the king, then college is the Queen. And even then, not many people are interested in most college games. Outside of top end of the power conferences (say maybe 30-40 teams), games are just there. No one cares about a Tuesday Night MAC-tion between Ohio University and Central Michigan. I went to OU and those games are a struggle to watch. I was curious and googled: the MAC championship game drew a 0.38 rating on ESPN2. Doesn’t sound good.

I was also curious about who is playing in these leagues. I checked the rosters of all 8 AAF teams. I fancy myself a fairly knowledgeable football fan. Outside of some QBs, I knew two players by name. And that is who is in these leagues. Players who bounce around the NFL, practice squads, CFL and Arena League. And assuming that the AAF signed all the best of those players, that would seem to imply the XFL is going to be raiding flag football teams at the local Y for players.

And that above everything is what is going to kill these leagues off. It is going to be horrible football. And no one wants to watch that.

1 Like

Listen, I don’t know where else to mention this, but it hit -50 (with windchill) in Sudbury this morning. That’s just fucked up. @wai0937

1 Like